Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts
Default Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component

I know for me this sounds like a really dumb question because bigger is always better right, but I had a chance today to listen to a wide range of audio on some pimpy 30" Bagger Bikes and ironically one of the loudest, clearest, and hardest hitting set ups (with very good bass) was running 6.5 Component speakers in lids that had an original 6x9 hole. Basically HT Lids with a $12 adapter.

Is there a chance in hell that this might be a better way to go? A hell of a lot more speaker options in the 6.5 Component category for sure.

Haze suggested we get outside the box a little bit here thus I'm way out on this ledge and may jump unless this is just a fluke and some of you guys with smarts can talk my off this damn ledge!!!!

Thoughts?

Thank you!!!

T.

Attached Thumbnails Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component-photo4294966692.jpg  
Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

6.5 components will definitely work! HAZE and I have been kicking that concept around for a while now. just have not got around to it. Go for it bro!

Old 01-29-2016, 04:42 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Tailwind if you are on FB talk to Lex Rivera, Chris Lowe, Pete at DA Performance and a few others. They specialize in the extreme or semi extreme audio set up and who I went through for my for ideals on my SG. They can definitely give you some ideals on what has worked if that is the route you are going.

When I first mentioned what I was doing with my SG here it wasn't the norm on this forum. So like Gann said go for it. Be interested to see what you come up with.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:32 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

Cam runs 4 sets of 6.5's, 2 sets in the fairing and 2 sets in bag lids along with 2 sets of horns.

Just search "Badd Azz Bikes" or "Cameron Johnson" on facebook the video is a white RG, that's his personal bike (facebook links don't work here it seems)

Old 01-29-2016, 07:20 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Cam runs 4 sets of 6.5's, 2 sets in the fairing and 2 sets in bag lids along with 2 sets of horns.

Just search "Badd Azz Bikes" or "Cameron Johnson" on facebook the video is a white RG, that's his personal bike (facebook links don't work here it seems)
Bunker I'm saying this with all respect, but I really think to get this right we need to avoid the "hey so and so has this". Here's the truth we often don't know how it's wired, what the desired effect was, etc. We just recycle info without knowing the why or how and don't fully digest it. Gann can tell you, I learn new stuff everyday. These are my thoughts (could be wrong too!!).

Short answer: if you only have speakers on your lids then run 6X9's. Normally they will get lower than 6.5's.

Longer answer: in the car world true mids come from 6.5's. The shape of the speaker sounds better but a 6 x 9 has more bass and that's what we use them. now if I had a big wheel bagger and I was putting a speaker inside the bag I would most likely go with an a for something to give me bass like an 8 inch. I wouldn't go with the 6.5 component in the lid. I would go with the 6.5 PA type speaker that is significantly louder than a 6X9. If these guys are running hertz I'll bet that's what you heard. And it sounds awesome.

Good topic.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Bunker I'm saying this with all respect, but I really think to get this right we need to avoid the "hey so and so has this". Here's the truth we often don't know how it's wired, what the desired effect was, etc. We just recycle info without knowing the why or how and don't fully digest it. Gann can tell you, I learn new stuff everyday. These are my thoughts (could be wrong too!!).

Short answer: if you only have speakers on your lids then run 6X9's. Normally they will get lower than 6.5's.

Longer answer: in the car world true mids come from 6.5's. The shape of the speaker sounds better but a 6 x 9 has more bass and that's what we use them. now if I had a big wheel bagger and I was putting a speaker inside the bag I would most likely go with an a for something to give me bass like an 8 inch. I wouldn't go with the 6.5 component in the lid. I would go with the 6.5 PA type speaker that is significantly louder than a 6X9. If these guys are running hertz I'll bet that's what you heard. And it sounds awesome.

Good topic.
Oh, I agree with you. I was just passing on info Tailwind could research for himself (that's why I tried to add a link)

I know you like the 6x9's but if we're going with the 6x9 over 6.5, why not just recommend some 8.8's? Don't you get more bass (and volume) from a 8.8 than a 6x9? (I don't know, I'm asking )

Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Oh, I agree with you. I was just passing on info Tailwind could research for himself (that's why I tried to add a link)

I know you like the 6x9's but if we're going with the 6x9 over 6.5, why not just recommend some 8.8's? Don't you get more bass (and volume) from a 8.8 than a 6x9? (I don't know, I'm asking )
It's not that I like one more than the other. 6X9's are just an easy application for bikes. You can run 2 in a bag in parallel - get good bass an volume, etc. Lots of options too. I'm also a fan of 8 inch drivers, they get louder.

The 8.8's I think look good on a bike that has the "bagger" look, otherwise they look out of place. I'm also not 100% sure there are good fitting 8.8 lids for the rushmores out. Seen some traffic that some were out, then read some didn't fit well....not really sure of the answer. Otherwise, yeah those 8.8's hit hard!!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:49 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Yeah - Big shout out to my friends Haze and Kesean for thinking outside the box. Honestly I never thought about PA speakers and Horns on a bike until these two guys brought them to the table. Not really my audio preference because I have an Ultra. I like Big 6x9's and hard hitting BASS!! But these guys like SQ and loud!! If I purchase a CVO street glide I'll go that route. But I have more room on my ULTRA for big amps and big speakers and I'm not about to let all that room go to waste!! LOL

Getting back to the original thought. Keep in mind component speakers take a whole lot more juice to produce the same sound as coaxial speakers. As HAZE stated it depends on what you are looking for in your set up. If it's BASS you're looking for nothing beats the 6x9 speakers. If it's clarity and SQ 6.5's all the way. The ideal setup is to have a little of both.

In regard to name dropping these guys I agree with my friend Haze. These guys won't tell you everything they have in their systems. Trust me. So to say XXXXX runs this or that means absolutely nothing. All you hear is the finished set up highlighting whatever component they are attempting to sell.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

That JL 7.7 and 8.8 stuff will simply require new lids, but is amazing stuff. Trying to make this work with what I have. My dragon says NO NEW LIDS!!! She may soften, but it ain't gonna happen soon.

Haze, the components that stood out the most were the Hertz HSK 165XL. Are these the ones you are referring to as PA style that would pass the sniff test? The non XL sounded very good too but a few less bass steroids.

I think the XL are designed by Hertz to fit into systems that have no room for subs, thus a very good amount of bass, and loud a hell. Think 125rms, 300 max, and 94 SPL.

Thanks for the guidance!! Interesting discussion indeed, as the more I shop around i tend to notice more and more 6.5s in lids. No telling what is out of view though.

T.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
That JL 7.7 and 8.8 stuff will simply require new lids, but is amazing stuff. Trying to make this work with what I have. My dragon says NO NEW LIDS!!! She may soften, but it ain't gonna happen soon.

Haze, the components that stood out the most were the Hertz HSK 165XL. Are these the ones you are referring to as PA style that would pass the sniff test? The non XL sounded very good too but a few less bass steroids.

I think the XL are designed by Hertz to fit into systems that have no room for subs, thus a very good amount of bass, and loud a hell. Think 125rms, 300 max, and 94 SPL.

Thanks for the guidance!! Interesting discussion indeed, as the more I shop around i tend to notice more and more 6.5s in lids. No telling what is out of view though.

T.
Tailwind the PA (Pro Audio) are the SPL Show Series by Hertz i.e. the SV165.1 and the SV200.1's etc. I have ran the HSK XL as well and they are a great speaker. They get loud and have a fuller, warmer sound than the PA. But not as loud as the SPL's.

Quick Reply: Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component