Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:27 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

T, with 2 ohm speakers in parallel you would have a 1 ohm load, the Bt 4180 is not 1 ohm stable! Now you could add a set of lowers with another set of 4 ohm speakers to your front end (lowers) and run those in parallel (2 sets of 4 ohm speakers in parallel =2 ohms) off the front channels of the 4180. Adding another amp to power the subs would be the best way to power the subs. Then you would need a after market HU with 3 sets of preout's (front, rear, and sub) so you could tune and adjust volume on the subs. That would be the right way to do it IMO. This sh*t gets expensive as you NOW KNOW...LOL... I see alot of OT in your future!!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
T, with 2 ohm speakers in parallel you would have a 1 ohm load, the Bt 4180 is not 1 ohm stable! Now you could add a set of lowers with another set of 4 ohm speakers to your front end (lowers) and run those in parallel (2 sets of 4 ohm speakers in parallel =2 ohms) off the front channels of the 4180. Adding another amp to power the subs would be the best way to power the subs. Then you would need a after market HU with 3 sets of preout's (front, rear, and sub) so you could tune and adjust volume on the subs. That would be the right way to do it IMO. This sh*t gets expensive as you NOW KNOW...LOL... I see alot of OT in your future!!
OT!!!! Hell, that's an understatement. Just got in from washing all the neighbors cars and mowing their yards!!!!

Great sub advice!!! The biggest hurdle is going to be the aftermarket HU as that Rushmore thing is kind of a permanent fixture. Hopefully there is another way to get a little sub thump in the bag. No worries if not as I'm very cool with my setup. Just chasing the unicorn!!!

Will do some research and verify with u pros before I pull any triggers.

Thanks again!!!!

T.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:05 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just some thought when putting a sub plan together based on my experience. Before my full DD speaker setup I ran Arc 602s in the fairing and 692s in the lids off a SS PN1000 amp. Wanted bass, decided to go big. Put 2 Kicker Comp R 8s in the bags with a 650w SS amp. Went head to head with a buddy running half my wattage with full range DD VO series speakers and he embarrassed me. Staying on the subject of bass and not overall sound, there's only certain frequencies you're going to hear on a bike in an open air environment. After switching my speaker setup I was replacing the Kickers with these DD subs that didn't look nearly as stout, kept thinking "Really? THESE are going to sound better than those Kickers with 650 watts?" And they did, I was hearing double the bass because they were playing what I could hear at a stronger volume than subs meant for sub-100hz frequencies. The kickers sounded great in a parking lot minus all the rattle. They were also awesome when I was cranking the stereo on the highway and, even though they weren't audible, they were draining power as my voltage needle waved at me. Food for thought.

Also, I've heard a few people having good luck with the smaller 6.5 subs out there in certain setups.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:08 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by LL247
Just some thought when putting a sub plan together based on my experience. Before my full DD speaker setup I ran Arc 602s in the fairing and 692s in the lids off a SS PN1000 amp. Wanted bass, decided to go big. Put 2 Kicker Comp R 8s in the bags with a 650w SS amp. Went head to head with a buddy running half my wattage with full range DD VO series speakers and he embarrassed me. Staying on the subject of bass and not overall sound, there's only certain frequencies you're going to hear on a bike in an open air environment. After switching my speaker setup I was replacing the Kickers with these DD subs that didn't look nearly as stout, kept thinking "Really? THESE are going to sound better than those Kickers with 650 watts?" And they did, I was hearing double the bass because they were playing what I could hear at a stronger volume than subs meant for sub-100hz frequencies. The kickers sounded great in a parking lot minus all the rattle. They were also awesome when I was cranking the stereo on the highway and, even though they weren't audible, they were draining power as my voltage needle waved at me. Food for thought.

Also, I've heard a few people having good luck with the smaller 6.5 subs out there in certain setups.
Which DD sub are you running?

Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kesean
Which DD sub are you running?
I'm running a pair of Digital Design VO series 8's

Actually debating on doing 4 of them, adding a pair to lids.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Nice! A lot of people sleep on the DDs.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

LL, are you running the VO-M8's, what else are you running exactly, horns, X-overs, amps ect. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
LL, are you running the VO-M8's, what else are you running exactly, horns, X-overs, amps ect. Thanks!
Was running (only say 'was' since I'm adding more and changing amps) stock head unit, SS PN1000d amp, DD VO 6.5s and B3 horns up front, DD VO 6x9s, VO M8s, with B2 horns in bags.

Weak spots in that setup were the factory head unit and the SS amp. This year I'm probably going to run 2 BT4180s, different fairing speakers and moving the DDs to lowers, adding another pair of DD 8s. Actually considering their CCX 8's since they are the 8'' speaker with the horn already attached together. Have a friend putting a pair of CCXs in this weekend supposedly, if they turn out good might even run 4 of them.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Was running (only say 'was' since I'm adding more and changing amps) stock head unit, SS PN1000d amp, DD VO 6.5s and B3 horns up front, DD VO 6x9s, VO M8s, with B2 horns in bags.

Weak spots in that setup were the factory head unit and the SS amp. This year I'm probably going to run 2 BT4180s, different fairing speakers and moving the DDs to lowers, adding another pair of DD 8s. Actually considering their CCX 8's since they are the 8'' speaker with the horn already attached together. Have a friend putting a pair of CCXs in this weekend supposedly, if they turn out good might even run 4 of them.
OH YEAH!!! I wish I could hear it when your done!! That's gonna be a MF'in B*tch!! Be sure to let us know what you end up with!!:icon_speak er1:

Old 02-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

with video please.

Quick Reply: Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component