Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

Tailwind first my wife will be glad we have a new song to demo

sounds really good, those focals really are crisp, seriously thinking about them now!

So your setup is KRC's in the fairing and KRX2's in the bags pushed by the BT4180?

Last edited by Bunker; 01-31-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:17 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Well I went completely off the "group think" reservation today and installed 6.5 components in my 6x9 lids.
My thought process is that the "front stage" is in pretty good shape and now I can work towards the rear stage and focus on some thump inside the bags.

Thoughts?

T.

BT4180 Focal K2 Fairing /Lids - YouTube
Sounds damn good. Let us know how it does out on the road.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:33 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Tailwind first my wife will be glad we have a new song to demo

sounds really good, those focals really are crisp, seriously thinking about them now!

So your setup is KRC's in the fairing and KRX2's in the bags pushed by the BT4180?
That's damn funny! I could not stop laughing when your wife entered your vid and provided you some stink eye!!! It was a very familiar look. My dragon actually knows that this HD and HD audio stuff keeps the voices in my head distracted, but I still get some serious stink eye.

Yes, that is the set up. If the right deals come along, those next tier Focals are sick. I tried the Car Toys grade Focal stuff (PC165 & AC690) and those are just missing the warmth and presence that most of us desire thus are way too bright but indeed clear as hell, so don't go there as ur current set up blows that stuff away. Amazing job on your system BTW!!!!

T.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:55 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

SQ and volume is great man. I know this is just a video, but I think if you put something in your bag you will really complete the sound and it will sound phenomenal. The 6.5 in the lid sounds like it has a real "punchy" mid bass to it, versus, a low end war "hum" bass. That's how it's designed to play, which is good for volume and sound quality. Now add a slim sub (and there's lots of good options), or even a really good mid bass driver that plays low and that's a proper set up man. Those speakers sound sweet.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:21 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man that sound nice!

FYI guys, it's not just Focal demos that are going for great deals...there are some distributors offering dealers really good buys right now so shop around. You might be able to haggle a great deal!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:52 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

T, I see you are gonna add subs in the future (great idea). My question is are you also going to add another amp. It seems like you will need another amp since the Focals in your lids are 2 ohm, you will not be able to run any more speakers in parallel? If so what amp?

Old 01-31-2016, 03:22 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by haze324
SQ and volume is great man. I know this is just a video, but I think if you put something in your bag you will really complete the sound and it will sound phenomenal. The 6.5 in the lid sounds like it has a real "punchy" mid bass to it, versus, a low end war "hum" bass. That's how it's designed to play, which is good for volume and sound quality. Now add a slim sub (and there's lots of good options), or even a really good mid bass driver that plays low and that's a proper set up man. Those speakers sound sweet.
Thanks Haze! Just got back from a ride and I'm feeling pretty damn good about this set up. The rear speaks were very much in play well into the higher speeds. Group ride so did not really get above 70 for more than a few stretches of road. Totally agree with you about the slim sub and per your previous recommendation, this is indeed on the radar for sure.
I really dig my bag space so this will be a damn fun challenge.
It was interesting to chat with the various custom audio shop guys yesterday as most of them really feel that the fairing, lids, lowers, and pods should be treated as the front stage which was very different from traditional audio think. Bags, & Pack being the rear stage. Pretty interesting and unrealistic concept but I do like this aggressive approach.

Thanks again!!!

T.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:29 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
It was interesting to chat with the various custom audio shop guys yesterday as most of them really feel that the fairing, lids, lowers, and pods should be treated as the front stage which was very different from traditional audio think. Bags, & Pack being the rear stage. Pretty interesting and unrealistic concept but I do like this aggressive approach.
That is 100000000% the right way to do things (when parked) AND if that's what you are after. For me yes, absolutely that's how you want to do it. Hey there are some pretty good 6.5 subs out there that will leave you some bag space and "complete" your sound!

Old 01-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
T, I see you are gonna add subs in the future (great idea). My question is are you also going to add another amp. It seems like you will need another amp since the Focals in your lids are 2 ohm, you will not be able to run any more speakers in parallel? If so what amp?
Yeah, the subs would be a very nice addition. Considering that when I got here several months back I had no clue what SPL, SQ, LL, RMS, etc... even was, I am gonna have a hell of a time figuring this sub project out. Have no clue where I would even plug another amp in, as the plug and play LL set up kept me out of the weeds, barely. Taking a wild guess, I would assume I would split off the LL output line???
Good news is that I have the JM tray thus plenty of room for an amp.
Probably smart to add a separate amp for the in the bag stuff regardless if I could parallel it? One with some ***** on it. Now that's a scary thought. Wish me luck Brotha!!!!

T.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Moto Mike,
Seeing a shipload of 2ohm 6.5 and slim subwoofers on the interweb. Some speaker wire and subs and possibly parallel them?

The front speaks are 4 ohm, if that helps.

If not I will probably wait a while and let my wallet recover.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 01-31-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component