Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Ok so I'll give you something to think about. "Even a car with no sub space"....does that mean there is a lot of space or no space? How does that translate to "air space". If that means no space, then I'd take it that means these fit and produce bass in small enclosures.

So the next question is do you think a 6.5 "in a lid" moves enough air space to hit hard with ALL that empty space in a bag.....or would a 6X9 fill that air space better.

If you look up certain speakers you will find some manufacturers will list the lowest freq playable in certain box air space requirements.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:23 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Honestly I just didn't fall in love with them and recently started trying out a bunch of other PA brands that are popular in the car world and never looked back.
Haze, please let me know what other PA brands you've tried and your thoughts on them. PM me if necessary as to not derail this thread. Seriously would like to know for business purposes.

Tailwind, I saw you mentioned having the Arc 692s in your consideration lineup. If you're interested I have a very lightly used set I'll let go, PM me if your interested.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Well I went completely off the "group think" reservation today and installed 6.5 components in my 6x9 lids.
My thought process is that the "front stage" is in pretty good shape and now I can work towards the rear stage and focus on some thump inside the bags.

Thoughts?

T.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

That sounds DAMN GOOD T!!! Crisp, Clear and loud, great SQ! What Focal components did you go with.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:17 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Went with the K2 KRX2. Apparently Focal is rolling out their post audio show products and the dealers are clearing their shelves and demo stations. This was a demo set and basically half off.
Was doing the math about 1 set of Hertz ON the lids and 1 set of ARC IN the bags and figured I would take my medicine now and pull the trigger on these and then get a shallow sub (cheap) for the bag. Will be way ahead on cost and hopefully in a very damn good place regarding SQ, SPL, and Bass. Very pleased with this set up, and the BT4180 really is delivering some amazing sound!!! Ironically these lid Focals are 2ohm thus the BTs heart rate is damn near at its resting rate. The vid was at 13 clicks and really was effing loud and clear.
Keep an eye on these Focal dealers and there are some really good deals to be had as they flush their inventories.

T.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
That sounds DAMN GOOD T!!! Crisp, Clear and loud, great SQ! What Focal components did you go with.
Ditto Tailwind.

Best I've heard on video!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Sounds like you have a live band in your garage.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Those KRX2 are NICE (should be for the $$$$) You had 6x9's in there already... didn't you? How do you like the 6.5' compared to the 6x9's. Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

Old 01-31-2016, 12:14 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Ditto Tailwind.

Best I've heard on video!
Thanks Gan!!! I think you were the first response in this thread providing guidance that this component strategy has some potential. Haze also nailed down the same thoughts and sent extensive info via PM regarding some potential land mines to include various solutions for getting bass in the bags down the road.

Again, thank you guys for your audio passion and more than anything for taking time out of your lives to help a Brotha out!!!!

I really is appreciated!!!!

T.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:38 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Those KRX2 are NICE (should be for the $$$$) You had 6x9's in there already... didn't you? How do you like the 6.5' compared to the 6x9's. Inquiring minds want to know. LOL
Had 4 different 6x9s in there and was not feeling the luv with the ones I was using as I really was not getting the SQ and SPL that my ears seem to like. I can honestly say that the 6.5 components blow away my expectations as a balance of SQ, SPL, and Bass. Gonna hit the road test tomorrow and will advise.
Had the fire sale K2 KRs in hand and the manager intercepted me and was damn excited to get rid of his demos. Think the KRs would have been a damn good purchase too, and same price as the 6x9s that were on my short list.
Thinking an 8" slim subwoof will really bring this all together. You know damn well that this unicorn hunt is far from over!!!! Flat broke now, so it may be a little while!!!!!
I guess the tuff question is, what level of component will potentially deliver the SQ, SPL, and bass that might outweigh the 6x9 platform?

Very good discussion stuff.

T.

Quick Reply: Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component