Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Never heard them, but those XL's are popular. From my understanding they are very power hungry and folks toss at them 200+ watts to really get them to scream. Haven't heard a bad review on them, sound wise.....but do know you need to supply juice to them. Lost of guys will run an amp bridged to them.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Never heard them, but those XL's are popular. From my understanding they are very power hungry and folks toss at them 200+ watts to really get them to scream. Haven't heard a bad review on them, sound wise.....but do know you need to supply juice to them. Lost of guys will run an amp bridged to them.
Very true Haze.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:33 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 8.8's I think look good on a bike that has the "bagger" look, otherwise they look out of place.
Just wanted to say, this is the only thing keeping me from running 8's in the lids!

Also to chime in on the pro audio comments above, I fully recommend it. Look at the Digital Designs VO series and horns. Last year I was running 6.5s, 6x9s, 8s, and 4 horns off a SS PN1000 amp at only 1/3 gain, stock head unit with a terrible flash...crushed everyone at every bike night. Think I made some of the big wheel crazy custom guys shed a tear. I'm partial to the DD stuff for a few reasons, but a big one is the price and value.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by LL247
Just wanted to say, this is the only thing keeping me from running 8's in the lids!

Also to chime in on the pro audio comments above, I fully recommend it. Look at the Digital Designs VO series and horns. Last year I was running 6.5s, 6x9s, 8s, and 4 horns off a SS PN1000 amp at only 1/3 gain, stock head unit with a terrible flash...crushed everyone at every bike night. Think I made some of the big wheel crazy custom guys shed a tear. I'm partial to the DD stuff for a few reasons, but a big one is the price and value.
Great recommendation. If I went with the DD VO 6.5, what tweet would you go with?

Do u think the BT4180 push the DD VOs for now?

Also, do u think the BT4180 push the Hertz HSK XL for now?

Thanks!!!

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 01-29-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:13 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Great recommendation. If I went with the DD VO 6.5, what tweet would you go with?

Do u think the BT4180 push the DD VOs for now?

Also, do u think the BT4180 push the Hertz HSK XL for now?

Thanks!!!

T.
Tail what are you trying to achieve?

FYI -- the DD's lasted about a month (if that) on my bike.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:28 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running the DD B3 and B2 horns for tweets, but they don't hit some of the crisp highs which is why I'm switching a couple things up.

I wouldn't worry about loads of power on any pro audio speaker, most have a very high efficiency compared to standard speakers. A 4180 can power almost anything very well!

Haze, what issues did you have with the DDs? Curious since most people are really happy with them in the right setup. With a sub-par amp I have yet to find a bike to match my spl and sq in the Pittsburgh area (small city though). The only other bike that competes with me is running a full DD setup as well.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Tail what are you trying to achieve?

FYI -- the DD's lasted about a month (if that) on my bike.
In a nutshell I'm trying to get the same sound that imho screams from my fairing to scream the same way from the lids with a little more bass. Focal K2 KRC 165.

Of course bang for the buck is a bit of a concern or I would just throw the component Focal Ks in there and be done, but my money tree is ill. Currently budgeted for $500 for either the Hertz HCH 690, ARC Moto 692, Millie MPK Pro 693 (not yet avail), or a component set up that will deliver a better balance of SQ, SPL, and bass than a 6x9 does. Could go to $600 if needed but ramen and PBJs till April.

Will eventually add some bass inside the bags but a few months out.

T.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:32 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

I've had an Arc 600.4, T400X4AD and Hertz HDP4 at one point or another connected to the 6.5's and 8's. Yes they are VERY loud. At first it time to get used to the hard punch mid bass instead a nice warm thump "hum" like what an Arc Moto sounds like. I listen mostly to hip hop, reggae, r&b, etc. I got over that when I could hear the tunes so damn loud on the highway. Honestly I just didn't fall in love with them and recently started trying out a bunch of other PA brands that are popular in the car world and never looked back. Yeah they are loud as hell and for the price not a bad substitute for Hertz SPL's but they still left me wanting more warmth.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

I've had an Arc 600.4, T400X4AD and Hertz HDP4 at one point or another connected to the 6.5's and 8's. Yes they are VERY loud. At first it time to get used to the hard punch mid bass instead a nice warm thump "hum" like what an Arc Moto sounds like. I listen mostly to hip hop, reggae, r&b, etc. I got over that when I could hear the tunes so damn loud on the highway. Honestly I just didn't fall in love with them and recently started trying out a bunch of other PA brands that are popular in the car world and never looked back. Yeah they are loud as hell and for the price not a bad substitute for Hertz SPL's but they still left me wanting more warmth.
Yeah, I know I'm in the weeds a bit but kind of like it. I thought I had a pretty good plan regarding 6x9, but then I saw this damn conversion bracket from 6x9 to 6.5 + tweet and had to wonder:
Could a component 6.5 system deliver a better well rounded sound than a 6x9? Louder for sure right? Of all of the 6x9s I have touched I feel that there is definitely by design a trade off for the bass and warmth, and this must simply be an oval to round to woofer area issue.
Totally shooting in the dark, but also know the gap can be filled quite a bit with a $1000 buck 6.5 component against a $500 buck 6x9, but can't we creatively get it all or better than the limited 6x9 market with $500?

If not, I think the Hertz HCX is the answer for now as my ears think it is the more balanced 6x9 than the others.

Man, I just dig my bag space almost as much as I dig really good music. Filling them with noise makers, be it an awesome audio addition/solution, will be tuff for me to do. Cooler in one and toothbrush in the other.

T.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Check out the product description in the attached picture. My cave man brain tells me this this is going to be one of the more bass friendly speaks that Hertz has in their lineup. $410 bucks, but is there bang for those bucks?

The statement, "Even in cars with no space for a subwoofer" makes it pretty damn intriguing.

Has anyone personally tested these?

T.

Quick Reply: Lids - 6x9 or 6.5 Component