Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 AM
ProspectNY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade questions

Ok so I know there are many audio threads out there and have done a fair amount of research on what I am looking to get. The scoot is a 2012 street glide that I recently purchased. Whoever had this bike before me, added almost every Harley accessory possible, and the only thing really left to upgrade is the stereo system. My old lady thinks it's plenty loud and gave me an earful about wanting it to be louder, but her words fell on deaf ears. The only reason why I want to upgrade it, is because the distortion at higher volume bothers the heck out of me. Now, for what I'm looking for and where you guys come in. The bike has the XM module installed which I would like to retain, and not sure if or what head unit would accommodate this. I was looking to upgrade the speakers to the infinity 62.11i. I have been seeing plenty of great stuff about them. The amp is where I'm kind of stuck. I am not going to add speaker lids because I don't care if the old lady hears the music because she was against me upgrading it so, she can kiss off (really hope she never sees this haha)! I am just looking to get a nice, clean, loud stereo that won't break the bank. As much as I hate the look of an after market head unit, I do understand that keeping it stock really limits power and what amp/speakers I could purchase. Basically, looking to get a breakdown of everything I would need soup to nuts, to complete the install. Also, does anyone have a step by step of installation of the amp/speakers? Haven't seen one of those anywhere. YouTube, here, can't find one and I am a visual person. Out of curiousity, are most of these speakers waterproof/water resistant? I do wash the scoot occasionally and may get stuck in the rain a time or two, but just wanted to make sure beforehand. Thanks!!

-Steve

Old 01-18-2016, 09:27 AM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

many options for systems out there. I am currently running the 62.11 in the fairing and a soundstream pn2.350 amp. I ran this off the stock head unit and it sounded pretty darn good. think the speakers were $110 and the amp was $78, wiring kit and adapters were $50ish

Old 01-18-2016, 09:41 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

The Kappas are nice. Ive got em and love em'.

Where on the Island? Im originally from Kings Park.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 AM
ProspectNY
Advanced

Originally Posted by bufbills
The Kappas are nice. Ive got em and love em'.

Where on the Island? Im originally from Kings Park.
That's what I've been hearing and the reason I'm leaning heavily towards them.

I'm from Kings Park lol! What a small world!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:56 AM
ProspectNY
Advanced

Originally Posted by wils5150
many options for systems out there. I am currently running the 62.11 in the fairing and a soundstream pn2.350 amp. I ran this off the stock head unit and it sounded pretty darn good. think the speakers were $110 and the amp was $78, wiring kit and adapters were $50ish
Just looked up the amp, it's at $90+. What wiring kit does anyone suggest? What adapters would I need? Just want to get it all, rather than starting the install and need to get something else. Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-18-2016, 10:02 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ProspectNY
That's what I've been hearing and the reason I'm leaning heavily towards them.

I'm from Kings Park lol! What a small world!
Thats funny.

Im probably going to put a set of 62.11s in the classifieds here. Going to go with speaker lids and do the detachable TP kit. i have them in the rear pods now. Keep your eye out. They are only a few months old.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Steve -
All the information you need to install your system is right here on the forum. Plenty of very smart guys around here that's willing to help!! We can walk you through your install step by step!!

For a two channel system on a budget the Kappas is a great start! The amp decision should be based on weather or not you listen to FM radio. Most of us run class D amps on our scoots due to their efficiency. The only drawback is the possible loss of FM radio with the majority of these class D amps.

If you are comfortable with losing FM there are several options! If you gotta have FM and good sound it's going to cost you!!

Old 01-18-2016, 10:21 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Also I don't believe the XM module your using will work with an aftermarket HU. Not 100% certain on that though.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:11 AM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProspectNY
Just looked up the amp, it's at $90+. What wiring kit does anyone suggest? What adapters would I need? Just want to get it all, rather than starting the install and need to get something else. Thanks for the reply!
yeah your right it is $90ish for the amp. place I got mine is sold out. guys will chime in with affordable options I am sure! you will need adapters for the speakers and a amp wiring kit. I used a boss wiring kit was $15 on amazon.