Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing space?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:06 PM
evomat
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fairing space?

Presently looking at a JBLgx-a602 amp.riding a 2007 electra glide classic.my question is do i have enough room to mount this amp? Dimensions: 2 1/16"H x 8 1/8"W x 7 13/16"L . i am using jbl gto-638 6.5" speakers, stock head unit. Any help on this would be much appreciated.Thx in advance

Old 01-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

No Sir. Won't fit in the fairing. Honestly you don't want that amp or those speakers in your bike even if if did fit. The amp is only rated at 60 watts x 2 channels. No where near enough power to power your speakers in the wind. Those speakers are close to the worst speakers I've ever heard on a bike. Just being honest here.

Not sure of your budget but you can do much better than the JBL stuff. IMO you would be wasting your money with that set up. If you would like recommendations we will need to know your budget and your thoughts on keeping FM radio. We are all here to help.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:43 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I love my JBL P-662 component speakers with my Arc audio amp, they SCREAM LOUD, including going down the road. One of the most efficient speakers you can find with a 5 to 10 db lower frequency response in the lower range than anything I have seen out there. All my club Brothers say "I may as well turn mine down" because they can hear mine over there's. But what do I know, I only have a old school home audio system with seventeen different component's including Accuphase power amp, Pre-amp and Tuner; JBL L-300 summit's and L-220's. Proper matching of amp and speakers is crucial and proper amp gain settings.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by medicmike
I love my JBL P-662 component speakers with my Arc audio amp, they SCREAM LOUD, including going down the road. One of the most efficient speakers you can find with a 5 to 10 db lower frequency response in the lower range than anything I have seen out there. All my club Brothers say "I may as well turn mine down" because they can hear mine over there's. But what do I know, I only have a old school home audio system with seventeen different component's including Accuphase power amp, Pre-amp and Tuner; JBL L-300 summit's and L-220's. Proper matching of amp and speakers is crucial and proper amp gain settings.
Mike - What "Other" speakers have you tried in your bike?

Old 01-11-2016, 07:53 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by medicmike
I love my JBL P-662 component speakers .
The P662 line, or Power Series, is the JBL version of the Infinity Kappa series. Not bad speakers, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as higher end stuff. Thing is the OP is talking about GTO's and those won't take the same power. For the investment of those speakers and an amp, there's some pretty good stuff out there that can sound good on a bike.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:25 AM
evomat
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
No Sir. Won't fit in the fairing. Honestly you don't want that amp or those speakers in your bike even if if did fit. The amp is only rated at 60 watts x 2 channels. No where near enough power to power your speakers in the wind. Those speakers are close to the worst speakers I've ever heard on a bike. Just being honest here.

Not sure of your budget but you can do much better than the JBL stuff. IMO you would be wasting your money with that set up. If you would like recommendations we will need to know your budget and your thoughts on keeping FM radio. We are all here to help.
Ive been running those jbl s for a year and IMO sound good. I just want it better.my budget is couple hundred,for spkrs and amp.the JBL s were bought to match to the HK hu. One of the few 2ohm spkrs out there. Thru research ive figured im gonna have to change to a 4 ohm setup, due to lack of options on 2 ohm amps.they're either cheap or astronomical,lol. I was looking at Rockford fosgate pbr 300-4, but some of the reviews are saying overheating issues. I just saw soundstream compact ,gonna have to do some research on it. Looking for amp and speakers for fairing with the ability to expand to a 4 speaker setup down the road. Difference between class A/B and D amps.? Thx again

Last edited by evomat; 01-12-2016 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by evomat
Ive been running those jbl s for a year and IMO sound good. I just want it better.my budget is couple hundred,for spkrs and amp.the JBL s were bought to match to the HK hu. One of the few 2ohm spkrs out there. Thru research ive figured im gonna have to change to a 4 ohm setup, due to lack of options on 2 ohm amps.they're either cheap or astronomical,lol. I was looking at Rockford fosgate pbr 300-4, but some of the reviews are saying overheating issues. I just saw soundstream compact ,gonna have to do some research on it. Looking for amp and speakers for fairing with the ability to expand to a 4 speaker setup down the road. Difference between class A/B and D amps.? Thx again
For this budget, get the Kappa 62.11i speakers and the Soundstream PN4.520D. From a few buck more and a lot more power get the Soundstream PN4.1000D. These amps and speakers combo's well together. There is a 50/50 chance you will loose FM reception.