Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help a Noob...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,694 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Default Please Help a Noob...

I recently bought an 04 FLHTCUI Ultra. This is the first bike that I have ever owned that has a stereo. I've had over 30 in my 47 years of riding and this is the first. My questions are: What kind of stereo do I have? Is it a separate head unit and amp? What would be good replacement for the speakers? Sorry for the dumb questions but, I'm not a techy, never have had a real interest in stereo systems but, would like to have a decent sound with the stock HD/Amp and upgraded speakers. Thanks to all for any advise.

Edit to add, I got the term Head Unit from this forum. LOL We just called them "radio".

Old 01-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Pothole914
I recently bought an 04 FLHTCUI Ultra. This is the first bike that I have ever owned that has a stereo. I've had over 30 in my 47 years of riding and this is the first. My questions are: What kind of stereo do I have? Is it a separate head unit and amp? What would be good replacement for the speakers? Sorry for the dumb questions but, I'm not a techy, never have had a real interest in stereo systems but, would like to have a decent sound with the stock HD/Amp and upgraded speakers. Thanks to all for any advise.

Edit to add, I got the term Head Unit from this forum. LOL We just called them "radio".
The stock HU is made by Harman Kardon.
There is no external amp, only what the HU puts out, and that is not much.
You will want an amp and speakers to get decent sound.
Have a couple questions:
What is your budget?
Is FM important?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Can I use the same HU and just add an amp?

Not real concerned about the budget.

Would like to keep the FM. I mostly listen to that. CD's on occasion, usually only on longer rides, not my daily commute.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

From 1998 to 2005 Harley Davidson used Radio sound radio's. Here is the website.

http://www.radiosound.com/customer_service.php

2006 up were Harmon Kardons.

You do not have an amp. Only a radio and some tiny 5.25 speakers in your fairing and rear pods. You will need to upgrade to 6.5 speakers and an amp.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Can I use the same HU and just add an amp?

Not real concerned about the budget.

Would like to keep the FM. I mostly listen to that. CD's on occasion, usually only on longer rides, not my daily commute.
If you want to keep your stock radio and FM. My suggestion is to purchase a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 amp with some Infinity 62.11i speakers. You will need these speaker adapters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEAKER-ADAP...-/121358701848

and this wiring kit:
Amazon.com: Boss Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit with High Performance RCA Interconnect and Speaker Wire: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Boss Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit with High Performance RCA Interconnect and Speaker Wire: Car Electronics

If you want to amp all four speakers you will need two amps.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
From 1998 to 2005 Harley Davidson used Radio sound radio's. Here is the website.

http://www.radiosound.com/customer_service.php

2006 up were Harmon Kardons.
Didn't know that. Just learned something new.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Is it not normal to have all 4 speakers amped? I don't know. Any pics of all that stuff mounted inside the fairing? I've had mine off one time to install a USB port but, it sure didn't look like I could mount 2 amps in there. Again, I don't know.

Last edited by Pothole914; 01-09-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bertk
Didn't know that. Just learned something new.
I hear you Berk! I learn something new on this forum everyday!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Is it not normal to have all 4 speakers amped? I don't know. Any pics of all that stuff mounted inside the fairing? I've had mine off one time to install a USB port but, it sure didn't look like I could mount 2 amps in there. Again, I don't know.
Yeah it's a common practice to amp all four speakers. But when you add in the fact that you want to keep your FM the 4 channel amps get a little more expensive. The next step up in a four channel amp while maintaining FM is this one:

http://www.biketronics.com/bt4180-180-watts-rms-x-4/

As you can see it begins to get a little expensive. If you Buy this amp then you might as well go full Biketronics and get the speakers as well. Most the class D amps that are compatible with our bikes will most likely kill your FM reception.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Wow. According to my calculations, I'm looking at around $1,500 without changing the HU. I didn't pay half that for my home system with surround sound. LOL I was thinking some where around 2 or 3 bills for a simple upgrade. As I said, it ain't that important to me but, I really do appreciate your answering my silly questions.

Quick Reply: Please Help a Noob...