Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra glide stereo upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 05:35 PM
flight risk
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Ultra glide stereo upgrade help

I started an install of infinity kappa 62.11i speakers. I started with the rear pods and found that the right speaker does not fit due to the design of the pod and the rear headset control module. The magnet seems to be hitting in both areas- I found date that suggests I need spacers but cannot find if they work or not.

Can someone confirm this spacer add is the fix?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by flight risk; 01-09-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:09 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by flight risk
I started an install of infinity kappa 62.11i speakers. I started with the rear pods and found that the right speaker does not fit due to the design of the pod and the rear headset control module. The magnet seems to be hitting in both areas- I found date that suggests I need spacers but cannot find if they work or not.

Can someone confirm this spacer add is the fix?

All help is greatly appreciated.
I used spacers similar to
these these

Old 01-09-2016, 07:19 PM
flight risk
Advanced

excellent, thanks Bertk, I was hoping you would reply.

I read many of your posts and used them as a basis for my install. I will also be adding a SS pn4.520d amp, which I hope to have less issues.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

excellent, thanks Bertk, I was hoping you would reply.

I read many of your posts and used them as a basis for my install. I will also be adding a SS pn4.520d amp, which I hope to have less issues.
How did you install the front speakers, inside or outside the pods?
When using the kappa's in the rear pods use the kappa grills.
The 520D will adequate to power those speakers, although they do like more power.
If you are going to keep the stock HU, you will need the BT Line Levelers, one for each set of speakers.
Edit: There are no speaker plugs under the fairing, so if you don't want to splice into the wiring harness you will need the breakout harness from Biketronics also.

Last edited by Bertk; 01-09-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 PM
flight risk
Advanced

Understand- I haven't moved to the front pods yet. I am expecting to splice for the front and will get the line levelers for both when I install the nano.
Any advice on front. I am not afraid to splice/cut stock wires, but if I need spacers or any other peripheries, that would be great information.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Understand- I haven't moved to the front pods yet. I am expecting to splice for the front and will get the line levelers for both when I install the nano.
Any advice on front. I am not afraid to splice/cut stock wires, but if I need spacers or any other peripheries, that would be great information.
The Kapps will only work installed inside the pods. Here's a
showing how to remove the pods and modifying them to accept the speakers.

I'm working on the wire splicing info.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:13 PM
flight risk
Advanced

good vid- thanks for sharing.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Default 2014+ Rear speaker & Rem wiring

For the rear speakers, open up the wiring harness coming out of the radio.
Find the 4 blue wires for the rear speakers. The two set of rear speaker wires will be twisted together.

Code:
Pin    Color        Speaker
K1     LBE             RR +
K2     LBE/BK          RR -
J1     LBE/O           LR +
H1     LBE/GY          LR -
Cut these wires. I twisted and soldered a 1 foot peace of 16g wire to each wire end, 8 in all. Wire connectors can be used also but will take up a lot of space in the harness. If soldered use some heat shrink on them. This will leave more then enough wire to tie into the AMP and Line Levelers. Labeling the wires will be helpful later.

The wires coming FROM the radio will be connected to the Biketronicks Universal Line Levelers male spade connectors using female connectors. The RCA cables on the line levelers will get plugged into the amp inputs.

The other end of the wires going to the rear speakers will get screwed to the output side of the amp screw downs. I put colored shrink wrap in each set of these wires and labeled them.
Putting a little bit if blue Loctite on the top of the screws to help keep them from backing off.

For the REM In on the amp you can tap into the acc/cigarette plug in the fairing. Purple wire is hot.
I soldered some wire together to make a Y. You could do the same using spade connectors.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ultra glide stereo upgrade help-rear-speaker-wires-1.jpg   2014 Ultra glide stereo upgrade help-rear-speaker-wires-2.jpg   2014 Ultra glide stereo upgrade help-rear-speaker-wires-3.jpg   2014 Ultra glide stereo upgrade help-wires-to-amp-output.jpg   2014 Ultra glide stereo upgrade help-remote-y.jpg  

Last edited by Bertk; 01-09-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

When you order the BT Line Levelers get a "Front Speaker Connector" and a "Universal"

Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 AM
flight risk
Advanced

thanks for the info- I didn't know about the speaker connector or a universal. What are these for? nothing needed for back speaker from BT?

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra glide stereo upgrade help