Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5 harley radio out and biketronics bt1014 radio install kit going in.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016 | 11:25 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sponger
So this is what i had to take out/off. The vent and the speedo/rpm gauge. Also took out the amp tray above the oem radio.

Here is the radio installed and bolted down. This is without the spash guard on.

Here is the radio with the splash guard on.
The HU install is coming along nicely, thanks for the pics.

One thing I noticed is it looks like you have the Kappa 6.5's installed on the outside of the stock speaker pods. A few of us did it this way a while back and had unexpected results. The speaker surround comes very close to the outer edge of the speaker basket. The speaker holes in the fairing are designed for what HD calls 6.5 speakers. So what happened is the speaker surround came in contact with the opening in the fairing. And in my case the CVO grills also. See pic below.

To avoid this damage there are two options. Mount the speakers in the pods or purchase the BT speaker brackets.

Attached Thumbnails 6.5 harley radio out and biketronics bt1014 radio install kit going in.-speaker-damage.jpg  
Old 01-10-2016 | 11:28 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Nice pics....that looks great!

Old 01-10-2016 | 11:31 AM
sponger
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bertk
The HU install is coming along nicely, thanks for the pics.

One thing I noticed is it looks like you have the Kappa 6.5's installed on the outside of the stock speaker pods. A few of us did it this way a while back and had unexpected results. The speaker surround comes very close to the outer edge of the speaker basket. The speaker holes in the fairing are designed for what HD calls 6.5 speakers. So what happened is the speaker surround came in contact with the opening in the fairing. And in my case the CVO grills also. See pic below.

To avoid this damage there are two options. Mount the speakers in the pods or purchase the BT speaker brackets.
Too late. Damage done. But its ok, i already have the brackets coming in tomorrow and hertz milles on tuesday.

Old 01-10-2016 | 11:50 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Too late. Damage done. But its ok, i already have the brackets coming in tomorrow and hertz milles on tuesday.
Sorry to hear that. If you still have the original box and a receipt HK will replace them. They sent me a shipping label and I had new speaker in about 6 weeks.

Old 01-11-2016 | 11:43 AM
sponger
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bbissell
That looks good. Does the splash guard seem like it will hold tight?
I think so. It fits a lil snug around the opening. But also it has a magbet sunken into the back of the face plate that the radio is attached to. Then on the back of the splash guard is either another magnet or some other steel piece.
Its that shiny ring that holds it on.

Old 01-11-2016 | 11:49 AM
sponger
|
Road Master

Here the radio is installed and on.

WishI could take it in the sun and see what it looks like, but here is my current weather.

Old 01-11-2016 | 03:09 PM
bbissell
Road Master

LOL man that is a lot of snow i wont even post a pic of how sunny it is here today! It is a little cool like 55 out. Keep up the pics and thank you!

Old 01-11-2016 | 03:41 PM
sponger
|
Road Master

Are there any other pics u want before i button her up?

Old 01-11-2016 | 03:42 PM
bbissell
Road Master

Are there any other pics u want before i button her up?
no sir i think that looks great and nice job!

Old 01-11-2016 | 03:46 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member

Here the radio is installed and on.

WishI could take it in the sun and see what it looks like, but here is my current weather.

SO CAL snow? i thought you saved that for us Canucks

Quick Reply: 6.5 harley radio out and biketronics bt1014 radio install kit going in.