Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3Gain, MP3Tag and Kenwood Music Editor Light software here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:03 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Arrow MP3Gain, MP3Tag and Kenwood Music Editor Light software here...

Guys - this might help those that are not as computer savvy as I am.

all 3 programs are in this dropbox. they can be found on the web as well - there is NO PIRACY going on here.... it is freeware, etc.
EDITED THE LINK - AS Post 3 mentioned the link was not working
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d30wsxch3...to8yWvWna?dl=0

Mp3Gain - research the audio section on the forum. I am running 93Db normalization.
Mp3Tag: can be used to tag your mp3's correctly with f.e. Genre, etc

Kenwood Music Editor Light: for those running Kenwood HU (not sure which models support it! mine, the 998X, does) use this to create an "index" file on the thumbdrive - this will "suddenly" allow you to search and play by f.e. Genre. if you just use a thumbdrive without the index, the Kenwood will only allow you to "search" by artist, album and folder (as I can remember).

Note on KME software:
Last week I started digging and it turns out you CAN search by playlist/Genre/Artist/Album!
How? You need to use the Kenwood Music Editor Light PC program to create - what we call in Software - an Index.
So below are my steps to create a usb drive with music:
a. normalize the mp3s using MP3Gain (I use 93db - track level)
b. check TAGs with f.e. MP3TAG to make sure your titles/album name/artist/genre is correct.
c. copy music to usb drive
d. start kenwood music editor light and create the index. Play with the folder level (depends on how you copy your music to the drive; 1 folder with all music or each album in its own folder). you can review your "playlists" after the program completed the index (program will ask you if you want to review).
Now there is one FLAW in the X998, it will NOT save you play mode setting "permanently" - in this case I always want to play the "list" [ALL RANDOM].
I have noticed once you select another artist/playlist/album/genre, the play back mode is reset.
The helptext in the music editor light program is not the most clear one regarding how to create the index regarding your folder level....

also another TIP:
if you run this HU, you can turn off the internal amp (makes the sound actually better). select Standby, go into functions, initial settings and turn off the amp.

Last edited by AAWAV; 01-04-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:38 PM
09baggerdude
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's put this up top in the "sticky" section please!!

Old 01-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Maybe it's just my computer, but I get the 404 file not found error when I try the link....

Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Maybe it's just my computer, but I get the 404 file not found error when I try the link....
:i con_laugh:
the problem was the word F a G (no spaces) that was part of the link URL. it was replaced with ***. I changed the share folder name - all good now
Link in original post is working now.

so you cannot post the word ***

edit: I typed F a G above without the spaces in between haha

Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

also - I am not really planning on supporting the software. they are all pretty straight forward. Google is your friend for any questions.
in the KME software the online help in the program is a kind of "flaky" as mentioned below but just play with it a bit and you will be able to figure it out.
see notes in the first post.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:38 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for this post.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:42 AM
Gooey2
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great little program, no more massive volume.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 491 Likes on 312 Posts

mp3Gain I hadn't used before, that's awesome!

I also use a different "tag" program that was recommended on this forum called TagScanner, also freeware and seem to be a little more robust than your Mp3Tag (at least on first glance). I've done thousands of mp3's, keeping all the names, artists, folders, uniform formatting. Also added clip art. I use them for Plex server and pick a few here and there for my USB drive on the bike.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Got PM related to MP3Gain.
there is no real way to determine the "amount" of clipping in a song AFTER normalizing to f.e. 93db (my chosen value as 89db as suggested by the program lowers the volume way too much IMO). I see about 5-10% of my music still clipping after the 93db normalization. I am good with that...

it is your choice to pick the db level you think works. if running A.M. HU (After Market), most of them do have an option to increase/decrease volume of source compared to FM stations. just in case you decide to go lower than 93db.

for those that do not understand the value/purpose of MP3Gain: it allows you to get all your songs to the same volume level (give or take), so no real need to vol up or down each song. Cuz you got to keep your eyes on the road with all those idiots out there...

hope this helps