Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing an aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah Bert, highs sound more natural... cleaner, symbols sound less sizzz..aley (is that a word) more natural, like a live drummer, to me. Yeah that HU is infinitely adjustable, looks like your getting the hang of it. Good job Bert! If you look at Blowby's EQ you'll notice the first 4 frequency's are reduced so that the lower (bass and some mid bass) frequency's will be reduced, to the point where you will not hear them very well! The object is to hear the whole spectrum of sound, and then tweak different frequency's to obtain the sound you like or can hear on a bike!

Last edited by Moto Mike; 01-28-2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Used pre-set Jazz with Drive EQ Off. Volume is the same as the last video at 22. Sound better to than the User EQ I made. Here's the Take 2
Dam it THAT SOUNDS FREAKING AWESOME
Makes my little starter set up sound like a AM radio

Old 01-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Yeah Bert, highs sound more natural... cleaner, symbols sound less sizzz..aley (is that a word) more natural, like a live drummer, to me. Yeah that HU is infinitely adjustable, looks like your getting the hang of it. Good job Bert! If you look at Blowby's EQ you'll notice the first 4 frequency's are reduced so that the lower (bass and some mid bass) frequency's will be reduced, to the point where you will not hear them very well! The object is to hear the whole spectrum of sound, and then tweak different frequency's to obtain the sound you like or can hear on a bike!
Definitely a lot of settings, most of which I am just learning about.

I have read that some of the lower frequency's are not heard on a bike, so maybe that's why they are turned down. But wouldn't the first two bands 62.5 - 100Hz be considered low? Now say in the X-over settings the HPF is set to 70 or 80, wouldn't that also filter out some of the low frequency's? And to make this more confusing say the amp HPF was set to the same frequency, how would all these filters effect the Natural sound of the music?
I don't mean to be a pest, just thinking out loud.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Dam it THAT SOUNDS FREAKING AWESOME
Makes my little starter set up sound like a AM radio
Thanks Babyboy. Mike's been a big help with tuning. Once it stops raining I want to get it out and see how it sounds. I'll be looking forward of a video when you get yours out also.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:51 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Definitely a lot of settings, most of which I am just learning about.

I have read that some of the lower frequency's are not heard on a bike, so maybe that's why they are turned down. But wouldn't the first two bands 62.5 - 100Hz be considered low? Now say in the X-over settings the HPF is set to 70 or 80, wouldn't that also filter out some of the low frequency's? And to make this more confusing say the amp HPF was set to the same frequency, how would all these filters effect the Natural sound of the music?
I don't mean to be a pest, just thinking out loud.
Bert those are all good question. Lower frequency's are hard to produce and hear on a bike, especially at speed 60 mph and up. I'm sure you can hear how some of your music sounds better on your bike at speed than other music does. IMO you can lower some of the first two or three frequency setting on the EQ but not too extreme. Setting the X-over on your HU at 80 or 70 will effectively limit the frequency's below those cut off points to your speakers along with slope and gain. Since BT amps don't have HPF filters you can only use your HU to tune your system. There's a compromise on a bike between "parking lot" sound and "highway sound" on a bike! Guy's with better systems will hear more of the musical spectrum at speed on their bikes...ie multiple amps and lots and lots of speakers. LOL you know who I'm talking about (initials are,,, G&H)

Old 01-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Bert those are all good question. Lower frequency's are hard to produce and hear on a bike, especially at speed 60 mph and up. I'm sure you can hear how some of your music sounds better on your bike at speed than other music does. IMO you can lower some of the first two or three frequency setting on the EQ but not too extreme. Setting the X-over on your HU at 80 or 70 will effectively limit the frequency's below those cut off points to your speakers along with slope and gain. Since BT amps don't have HPF filters you can only use your HU to tune your system. There's a compromise on a bike between "parking lot" sound and "highway sound" on a bike! Guy's with better systems will hear more of the musical spectrum at speed on their bikes...ie multiple amps and lots and lots of speakers. LOL you know who I'm talking about (initials are,,, G&H)
Good info Mike. Now I know where to start playing with the EQ settings.
Yes NEED MORE SPEAKERS!!!
Just not sure weather to go with Lowers or Lids first.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Good info Mike. Now I know where to start playing with the EQ settings.
Yes NEED MORE SPEAKERS!!!
Just not sure weather to go with Lowers or Lids first.
You will hear lowers better! You can also hear lids, but not as well as lowers. The passenger will hear the lids.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Did another video outside. One more on it's way.

2008 SG - Biketronics BT2180 Amp - Hertz Mille MPX 165.3 PRO Speakers - Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 Head Unit w/with 13 equalizer - Biketronics BT1005X - Multi-Brand Radio Install Kit with hand controls. Volume 27
Used pre-set Jazz with Drive EQ Off.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Made this video today also. This video doesn't sound right to me. Don't know if it's distortion, the cars going by, the mic on the iPhone or just me.
One thing I am sure of is two speaker are not enough!!!

Old 02-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Both video's sound GREAT Bert especially for two speakers!! Good job! We got 3 inches of snow today you dog...LOL

Quick Reply: Choosing an aftermarket head unit