Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock vs aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 05:12 PM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default stock vs aftermarket head unit

Is there a big difference between the 2? what will a after market give me thats better than stock? Right now I have the stock HU, Soundstream pn2,350 running Kappa 62.11 speakers on a 13 road glide. My set up sounds good although I am not good at setting gains and such. Just trying to figure out if I should get a aftermarket HU and what it will do for me,

Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Huge difference. Firstly it will give you a stronger signal to your amp which will enable you to set your gains a little lower. low gains are a good thing. Secondly the aftermarket HU has tons of features that the stock unit doesn't have including BT and HD radio.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:40 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Better signal input into your amp, RCA connectors, way more adjustability, usb ports, the list goes on. IMO, the biggest plus is bluetooth. It seems to vary for others, but for me every class D amp I've ever had killed my FM. With my stock head unit that limited me to listening to one cd at a time, or the aux port. I added a Sony head unit with bt, and streaming music from my phone is way better. The only downside is that the face is hard to read, especially in daylight, so I just start streaming and leave it alone. Be advised that you will need some type of mount for the new unit, and you'll need some sort of hand control module. I personally used the Biketronics Retro Radio kit, but it's pricey. That said, I changed from one Sony to another, and my original module wouldn't work with the new head unit but Bill swapped me for a new one at no charge. After having an aftermarket head unit I'll never willingly go back to stock.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:31 AM
wils5150
Tourer

I would use the Bikertronics module to retain hand controls for sure. I listen to my ipod 99% of the time. Can any one recommend a good head unit that wont break the bank that you dont have to be a PHD to operate?

Old 12-26-2015, 11:02 AM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wils5150
I would use the Bikertronics module to retain hand controls for sure. I listen to my ipod 99% of the time. Can any one recommend a good head unit that wont break the bank that you dont have to be a PHD to operate?

I echo what the others above me are saying. The signal from the HU is the first step I always look at when upgrading systems. In order to make a suggestion on a HU...I'd need to know your definition of "Break the bank". My preference is the X998 from Kenwood as it seems is popular with others. They run $200-250. They make an X898 that has the same signal V but w/o all of the added EQ features. If you are not interested in the fine tuning as much...the x898 from Kenwood is about $100 cheaper... The main thing to look at is try to find one in your range with 4v preouts or higher if you are looking to improve sound quality.

I like the rear USB plug option with cable that can extend and mount on the frame by your gas tank. This way I can use a USB w/o having one stick out of the face of the HU. Most people buy HU so they can sling Bluetooth from their phone. Problem is a lot of SQ is lost over bluetooth, so I prefer a USB stick b/c it retains the file quality and I can fit more audio on it than on a CD.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by wils5150

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...X-S310BTX.html

Old 12-26-2015, 11:16 AM
wils5150
Tourer

as you all ready know Gannicus that is the unit and place i just bought as well as the bt retro kit !!

Last edited by wils5150; 12-26-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 AM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good product for that price!! If you run high level wire in place of the RCA's you can improve it's capabilities even more. You'll get less chance of floor noise as well as we've seen a 1V increase in output from Head Units by using High Level wire over the RCA's.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:32 AM
wils5150
Tourer

I am using High level now with my stock radio

Old 12-26-2015, 11:49 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

No comparison, aftermarket for sure

Quick Reply: stock vs aftermarket head unit