Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a simple man that wants a simple system

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 10:48 PM
ravens9322
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a simple man that wants a simple system

Hey guys, as my title suggests, I would like to upgrade my stock stereo system.

The bike is a 2006 Electra Glide Classic. I have the tour pack delete on it so i will not be running rear speakers. I don't want front pods either. I would like a nice 2 speaker fairing system that i could actually hear over my exhaust.

A little background on myself. I learned and developed my passion for car audio at the age of 13 (now 28). I have had many cars in many competitions over the years (SPL, SQ, SQL) but i have been out of the game for about 7 years now and I have completely lost touch with my "audio self". I realize some of you guys go all out with the stereos on bikes but i just can't get into it anymore. So i am looking for your basic advice to kinda catch me up on the times.

This is what I know:

- I want two 6.5 speakers in the fairing ($200 or less for a pair)
- I will be ordering an 8 gauge amp kit
- I am looking at getting the PBR300x2 and mounting plate ($150 or less)
- I DO NOT want to replace my HU

What I'm not sure of:

-I have no idea what kind of speakers I should be even looking at. I know what used to be good in the car audio community from years ago, but I'm not sure about what would work best in the small enclosed fairing.
- If there are any better choices that the PBR, i am open to hearing about it.
- I have seen the biketronics and J&M stuff and I am just not impressed with what you really get for the money. Seems like you can really piece together a better system for the money (tell me if I'm wrong)

My end goal is really, retain stock HU, maintain FM capability (class A amp), 100-200 RMS per speaker, loud and clean.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice given,
Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2015, 04:29 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

If you want to retain FM, the PBR 300x2 is about the only way to go. Pair it with Infinity Kappas 62.11i's. A proven combo that won't break the bank.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:42 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

I agree with what John said, if you order the speakers from Crutchfield, they will throw in the speaker adapters.
You can find them a little cheaper online though.
I think polyfill will help too.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:17 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
If you want to retain FM, the PBR 300x2 is about the only way to go. Pair it with Infinity Kappas 62.11i's. A proven combo that won't break the bank.
^^^^^^
Yeah that! Simple as it gets!

Old 12-25-2015, 08:05 AM
ravens9322
Advanced

Thanks for the swift response guys. I am familiar with infinity from years back when I had a set of kappa perfects. While they were ok, they lacked any sort of bass really. I might be willing to spend a little more on a component set and could see myself interested in hertz, focal, morel, CDT, some higher end stuff since the PBR does put out a decent amount of power. Any recommendations other than the infinitys?

Old 12-25-2015, 08:17 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by ravens9322
Thanks for the swift response guys. I am familiar with infinity from years back when I had a set of kappa perfects. While they were ok, they lacked any sort of bass really. I might be willing to spend a little more on a component set and could see myself interested in hertz, focal, morel, CDT, some higher end stuff since the PBR does put out a decent amount of power. Any recommendations other than the infinitys?
I think the Infinities are gonna be your best bet with that amp. At only 100 watts @ 4ohms you won't be happy with the results on the other speakers you mentioned.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

if you act fast there's one set of Arc Moto 602's left on ebay (I bought a set of those 602's last night ), although I don't know if that PBR300x2 is enough to get the most out of the 602's.

I actually just put in an upgrade over stock, Cerwin Vega B2, Infinity Kappa's, and the BT Line Leveler. I could hear it without issue at 80 on the highway and I have a D&D Fat Cat with performance baffle. FM reception is fine, I even went with a Kuryakan short antenna and I still pickup ESPN out of Houston with the bike sitting in the garage.

I probably could have left it as is but I heard the 602's are best for bass and I eventually want to go with lowers so 4 ohms were on the want list anyway and who can pass up a deal?

Old 12-25-2015, 08:53 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Few things to consider:

You don't want a Class A/B amp on our bikes....they will do a number on your charging system. You have to stick with mostly Class D amps (Arc Mini's are Class G for example). What this means is that if you want to retain FM reception your options are VERY limited, because the class d amps that fit in your fairing are likely to cause some (or all) loss of FM reception. So your options boil down to:

Fosgate PBR. Fairly priced, but honestly this amp doesn't sound all that great
Biketronics 2180. Sounds fantastic, but it's not cheap
Arc Mini 125.2. Excellent sound quality but not much power

So if you are considering Hertz, Focal, CDT, etc. you're really blowing your cash on speakers that aren't going to sound that great if you are pushing with the PBR. I would strongly consider the recommendation by Bunker. The 6.5 speakers I've heard with the best bass (BY FAR) are the Arc Moto's 602. Pair that up with the Cerwin B2 and I think you'd be much happier with the sound. On a tighter budget check out the Biketronics 7P1 speakers, FYI their speakers are made by Hybrid Audio Technologies (HAT), and I'd put HAT up with there with Hertz, Morel, etc.

Phase 2: Change out your HU and enjoy bluetooth, streaming, pandora, USB, etc.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Raven, you sound like me a few years ago! I was also a former audio guy who competed then got away from it. Listen to Haze and Gan these dudes have had everything on their bikes and I do mean everything...lol! Don't lump J&M and Biketronics together 2 different animals. BT's amps are some of the cleanest and loudest amps on the market (ck thier specs) HAT's (Hybrid Audio Technology) speakers have won more awards in car audio than the other brands combined, plus their water proof and life time warranty! Hang around this forum for a while and you will get good info. Check out the pro's on steroid thread, Gan is testing Hertz Mille's with the B2 and a SS 1000D! Good luck and I'm gonna guess you can't keep on old audiophile from getting the bug again...lol ...oops my Bt love is showing again I better be careful or somebody will write another book about it! LMAO

Last edited by Moto Mike; 12-25-2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added
Old 12-25-2015, 12:08 PM
ravens9322
Advanced
Wink

Originally Posted by Bunker
if you act fast there's one set of Arc Moto 602's left on ebay (I bought a set of those 602's last night ), although I don't know if that PBR300x2 is enough to get the most out of the 602's.
Just looked at your link and it seems that they are now sold out. I guess i missed that train on that one lol. The price did seem really good compared to their MSRP

Quick Reply: Just a simple man that wants a simple system