Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK with CB working in 2003 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 08:58 PM
malcoll
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK with CB working in 2003 Ultra

Merry Christmas Eve!

With the great help of UltraNutZ, I have successfully installed a HK w/CB from a 2011 Ultra Limited into my 2003 FLHTCUI. I searched HIGH and LOW for instructions for this mod/install... but to no avail. After getting assistance from UltraNutZ it all came together and it was actually quite easy.... could have been much cheaper but I took the easy way out! I used the NUOH in case I want to add the XM module later....or could use the wires (especially the CAN wires).

I bought the NUOH but all I used is the 35 pin connector, the XM connector, the CB connector and the Audio Interconnect connector. The radio bracket and the base radio connector are the same between the two so it's just "plug & play" for a pre-2006 Electra Glide. Beyond that here are the steps to get your Ultra features working.

1) De-pin your 23 pin Ultra Connector and put the 23 pins in the following slots the first number is the slot it came from and "to" is the slot it goes into in the 35 pin connector...

-- 1 to 29
-- 2 to 17 (splice together with 18)
-- 3 to 25
-- 4 to 24
-- 5 to 12
-- 6 to 23
-- 7 to 21 (splice together with 15)
-- 8 to 10
-- 9 to 6
-- 10 to 2
-- 11 to 1
-- 12 to 35
-- 13 to 34
-- 14 to 11
-- 15 to 21 (splice together with 7)
-- 16 to 28
-- 17 to 5
-- 18 to 17 (splice together with 2)
-- 19 to NONE leave out and tape up
-- 20 to NONE leave out and tape up
-- 21 to 20 (splice together with 22)
-- 22 to 20 (splice together with 21)
-- 23 to 9

If you are using the NUOH, you leave the red, black, white, black/green, red/orange, yellow/red and yellow/violet (I think the stripe is violet) wires connected together. You need to splice into two wires in the base radio connector harness. Cut two 7 inch lengths of wire and splice one into the "red/orange" wire (there are two "red/orange" in that harness, just pick one as they are the same circuit) splice the other into the "black/green" wire in that harness.

I used two lengths of wire from the NUOH that I wasn't using, mostly since they already had the deutsch sockets on them. There are four connectors and probably a couple dozen wires that you take out of the 35 pin connector, I always keep stuff like this so although the NUOH is $120... it worked for me.

I then used a 6 pin deutsch male plug and pinned those into two wires above into the holes that correspond with the "black/green" wire and "red/orange" wire going into the audio interconnect connector. This supplies the power and ground for the CB and XM modules.

The CB antenna I simply purchased a "twist on" TNC connector from Radio Shack...cutoff the PL-239 antenna connector and installed the TNC connector per instructions and then connected the antenna cable to the CB module.

If you follow these instructions... you can install a 2006 and later HK radio with CB module into your 2005 and earlier ULTRA. Make sure you get a HK that came from an Ultra and then you don't have to mess with getting the dealer to "flash" the unit. I also did not mess with the AVC since that feature is unimportant to me, but there are tips to get that working if you do a search.

You could always just buy a 35 pin AMP connector, a 12 pin AMP connector and 6 pin deutsch connector and then the appropriate color coded wire, pins and sockets and make your own harness.... cost would probably be less than the $130 I have into adapting the NUOH but I wanted to get it done today. The key is to get the "can" wires connected from the CB module to the Ultra Connector on the HK radio...those are how the CB module "communicates" to the HK Head Unit.... the "red/orange" and "black/green" are also key as those are power and ground for the module.

Again, I could not have completed without the help of UltraNutZ... so huge props go out to him!

Merry Christmas, and keep the shiny side up!

Last edited by malcoll; 12-24-2015 at 09:05 PM.