Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x 6.5's or 2x 7.7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts
Default 4x 6.5's or 2x 7.7?

about to finish the internet again and have come across a couple of inner fairings that are available or will be available.

The first is made by an outfit in Arizona, Infamous Customs

The second is from Fairing Factory (Q1 2016 release)

so, what's a better setup 4x 6.5's (one component set, one coaxial set) or 2x 7.7 (would have to be the JL Audio's I think)

Cost would be a big part of this, the Fairing Factory is set to retail @ $799 and then 2 sets of 6.5's will add up quick. The infamous customs' is on sale for $410 right now and a set of JL 7.7 components are $370ish I saw on amazon (I'd try and use components I think).

Thoughts?

Old 12-24-2015, 04:01 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

4 6.5's and it wouldn't be close.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

ok to expand...

quad 6.5's in the fairing, I'm thinking 1 set of component and 1 set of coaxial

or

pair in the fairing and pair in lowers

what I have (or will have) Arc Moto 602's and a Rockford Fosgate TM400X4ad - I was thinking of adding some Arc Moto 6.2's but I could go with some 6x9's in the lowers I've seen some 6x9 pods for the lowers

Old 12-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
ok to expand...

quad 6.5's in the fairing, I'm thinking 1 set of component and 1 set of coaxial

or

pair in the fairing and pair in lowers

what I have (or will have) Arc Moto 602's and a Rockford Fosgate TM400X4ad - I was thinking of adding some Arc Moto 6.2's but I could go with some 6x9's in the lowers I've seen some 6x9 pods for the lowers
You do know Haze is going to say two pair in the fairing and a pair in the lowers...

Old 12-26-2015, 10:16 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bertk
You do know Haze is going to say two pair in the fairing and a pair in the lowers...
Dammit....u got me!

I'd put two in the fairing with one set facing in and another in the lowers. I also wouldn't use the 6X9. I personally think they look awkward there and don't of a single person that tried it and kept it. I'd probably do a mix of coaxials and PA speakers with horns. Gotta think the amp configuration out but that would be insane loud.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:37 AM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding more speakers will equate to more volume. The JL7.7's will give you more lower mid bass, but for pure volume 4 x 6.5's is the better option IMO.

So, the question in order for you to decide which is better I think is do you want more volume or mid bass? Personally, I think 2 x 7.7's are loud enough up front if powered correctly and will produce a better overall range of sound. With them in front of you I believe you will retain a chunk of that mid bass (though you will always lose some of it) even at speed. The Arc Moto 602's show they play down to 65hz where the 7.7's play down to 45hz. I normally run high pass on the 7.7's and put them between 50-60 hz's. With either the dual 7.7's or 4 x 6.5's, I'd use the 2 channel version and run parallel on 4 x 6.5's vs the 4 channel. Smaller form factor for putting under your fairing. If you ended up with 2 x Coax and 2 x component...then I would use the 4 channel version.

I do think the JL 7.7's are under rated. Most people don't push enough power to them to wake them up. We were running them in the lids with JL M400/4's and the thump was not what we expected. In fact, the entire speaker was drowned out when running Focal KRC 165's in the front with the same power rating. This was measured at a stand still, as you will always lose sound from the back when you start moving. The KRC's do scream though with just 100W thrown to them. We found that the M400/4 wasn't running that efficient and once we bridged two channels to them they WOKE up!! Currently we are running the T400X2AD amp with one 7.7 per channel. This is the 2 channel version of the T400x4 you mentioned. Currently run them on high pass with filter set at 50-60 hz and turned up the low end using the EQ on the HU. Drastic improvement in low end and overall volume!!

We are in the process of taking a mold from a plug we made that holds 2 x 8.8's in the inner fairing of a RG....That got tricky..but will be worth it!!!

Old 12-26-2015, 10:41 AM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by haze324
Dammit....u got me!

I'd put two in the fairing with one set facing in and another in the lowers. I also wouldn't use the 6X9. I personally think they look awkward there and don't of a single person that tried it and kept it. I'd probably do a mix of coaxials and PA speakers with horns. Gotta think the amp configuration out but that would be insane loud.

Haze...you're talking my language here..

Old 12-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

If I am not mistaken, the JL m770 TCX are typically used on pimpy boat tower speaker enclosures and those things are sick!!!! Have not heard a better set up on a boat but as you clearly stated, they need the amp energy to wake up.
My wake boarders and surfers often tell me to turn that shix down up to 75 feet behind the boat to include exhaust noise!!!!!!!!!!!
If I could only get that on my sled without major cash flowing out.
Was gonna cut some holes in my old OEM lids to test the concept and sound but do not think they would fit. The magnet area or back of the speaker is massive and the lid would probably not open and close thus would need some professional customization aka big cash flowing out.
Amazing speaker though!!!!!!!

T.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:08 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
If I am not mistaken, the JL m770 TCX are typically used on pimpy boat tower speaker enclosures and those things are sick!!!! Have not heard a better set up on a boat but as you clearly stated, they need the amp energy to wake up.
My wake boarders and surfers often tell me to turn that shix down up to 75 feet behind the boat to include exhaust noise!!!!!!!!!!!
Was gonna cut some holes in my old OEM lids to test the concept and sound but do not think they would fit. The magnet area or back of the speaker is massive and the lid would probably not open and close thus would need some professional customization aka big cash flowing out.

T.
Voo doo lids I'm pretty sure had some for Rushmores. Maybe even for the 8.8's

Old 12-26-2015, 11:19 AM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind

T.
There are a few companies making lids for the 7.7's and the magnets are not too big. SPeed by Design makes them. The cost is 479.00 for a pair.

If you go with the dual 7.7 inner you posted and push it with the T400x you will have enough power. Be careful buying products off of Amazon and other online sites. Check JL's website for a list of authorized online retailers as buying from the others will not be backed by the JL warranty. What amp are you running on your boat to power the 7.7's? I have put them in the walls of boats and don't normally do tower speakers. And if you think those are sick.... you should hear the 8.8's. We just made slim line lids that hold them. They are heavy but the integrity is nothing to worry about is a quality lid. We use Kevlar filler to make ours in order to increase strength. If you put the 7.7's in the front you would get the same sound as putting them in lids and would keep more frq range at speed and SQ b/c they are in front of you.

Quick Reply: 4x 6.5's or 2x 7.7?