Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x 6.5's or 2x 7.7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:21 AM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Voo doo lids I'm pretty sure had some for Rushmores. Maybe even for the 8.8's
Voodoo only makes lids for 8.8's and they fit all years. I use the term "fit" loosely as we do not use their products. 6 hours of body work for a set of lids was excessive to say the least. Their inners have tons of problems. We have fixed several for new customers that had them. One paid the extra for Voodoo to prefit them and they still had an 1/8" gap between the inner and outer fairing.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:24 AM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced

I haven't used the Infamous Customs products as we make our own parts. However, the idea of adding those pods on vs. a complete fairing replacement seems like a cost effective idea as long as they don't require a ton of body work. RG fairings require multiple piece molds and have to have several parts glassed together to make the complete fairing...which is why they run $1200.00 Those bond on ones are a good solution for keeping the cost lower to mfg.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:31 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

The Infamous Customs fairing the speakers are aimed at you.
The Fairing Factory fairing the speakers seem to be more horizontal.
I think that would make a difference in sound. The IC one sounding better I would think.

Just a question, are you gaining much with this setup over stock inner fairing and the speakers that are available now? And keeping the storage compartments...

Old 12-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by mark@lowlifebaggers.com
There are a few companies making lids for the 7.7's and the magnets are not too big. SPeed by Design makes them. The cost is 479.00 for a pair.

If you go with the dual 7.7 inner you posted and push it with the T400x you will have enough power. Be careful buying products off of Amazon and other online sites. Check JL's website for a list of authorized online retailers as buying from the others will not be backed by the JL warranty. What amp are you running on your boat to power the 7.7's? I have put them in the walls of boats and don't normally do tower speakers. And if you think those are sick.... you should hear the 8.8's. We just made slim line lids that hold them. They are heavy but the integrity is nothing to worry about is a quality lid. We use Kevlar filler to make ours in order to increase strength. If you put the 7.7's in the front you would get the same sound as putting them in lids and would keep more frq range at speed and SQ b/c they are in front of you.
Not sure what amp is currently pushing them around as there r 3 down there. Will check.

Great suggestion about authorized JL dealers but I have 4 of them already that are coming off the boat in the spring and hope I can find a home for 2 of them on the sled. Thinking WS Rev 10 for that project but that's an entire different discussion that will take some time.

Will research cheap lid options between now and then, but the good news is that I already have 4 of those beauties already paid for.

I think I will be Rushmore Infotainment HU limited so not getting extremely excited about what this spring project will bring me.

T.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:30 PM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Not sure what amp is currently pushing them around as there r 3 down there. Will check.

Great suggestion about authorized JL dealers but I have 4 of them already that are coming off the boat in the spring and hope I can find a home for 2 of them on the sled. Thinking WS Rev 10 for that project but that's an entire different discussion that will take some time.

Will research cheap lid options between now and then, but the good news is that I already have 4 of those beauties already paid for.

I think I will be Rushmore Infotainment HU limited so not getting extremely excited about what this spring project will bring me.

T.
If you already have them then that would make the decision easier and cheaper!! WS Rev 10..... Yes!! That's going to be fun. WS amps are big but the Syn 6 is a monster. I have a couple of them and plan to install the Rev 8's on my boat before spring. Right now I am using them for R/D on a new tour pack...I know.. crazy doesn't come close to describing the idea...LOL.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:38 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Rumor is WS is releasing a small 4 channel amp that will fit in the fairing next month more powerful than their micro line and very reasonably priced.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:34 PM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced

Rumor is WS is releasing a small 4 channel amp that will fit in the fairing next month more powerful than their micro line and very reasonably priced.
I'm going to go out on a limb and says it compares to the Arc Moto...

Old 12-26-2015, 06:06 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by mark@lowlifebaggers.com
I'm going to go out on a limb and says it compares to the Arc Moto...
Yeah it's designed by Zeff, but it's a smaller version 4x100 (I think) at 350.00 ish.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:08 PM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced

Yeah it's designed by Zeff, but it's a smaller version 4x100 (I think) at 350.00 ish.
Interesting. I know Brett and have spoken to Tim several times. Brett is good friends with another buddy of mine that collaborates on LED solutions with them. I'll see if I can find out more.