Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Focals or Kappas

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 07:04 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Mark, Gann, AAWAV, and Haze, you guys really know your audio and how it works, more so than most. The forum benefits greatly from the in-depth discussion from the "Average Joe" who just wants plug and play to those of us that have a little more knowledge in the audio arena, i.e. myself chasing that "perfect" sound.

Now a few years back when I joined, and some of you were around during that time, when audio was discussed here the talk was about everything audio. There was no one brand really pushed over the other per say. There was a lot was trial and error when we started going with the better than "avg" systems. Members like UltraNutz,Glacier Pearl and a few others really helped out those of us striving for a better quality sounding system. They were sort of the Gann and Haze of today. And while BT and J&M were around during that time neither one of them (Nutz or Pearl) really pushed any particular brand over the other. They had an opinion and or first hand knowledge on different brands on what will work/sound good vs what didn't. What was overpriced vs what wasn't. If a member introduced a new piece of equipment to the forum and said "check this out" or had a different opinion or experience with a popular piece of equipment it wasn't frowned upon as a whole. We looked at it through a clear lens and for the most part stayed fair and impartial. Not everyone listens/hear the same. What works for you may not work or sound good to someone else. "SOUND IS SUBJECTIVE".

That leads me to today, and again this solely my opinion and not pointed at anyone in particular. Just an observation....

It seems that if a person/forum member decides to forgo or push back on using BT products or call out a flaw with it, its frowned upon in this setting. Why is that???? I kind of noticed that when I mentioned I was going with the Hertz SPL Show Series and Diamond Audio amps on my SG a few months back. You would have thought I was speaking a foreign language to some because I wasn't using BT. And no it wasn't for competition/parking lot pimpin, I ride cross country regularly, LOL! Now I will agree BT makes some outstanding products and you can't beat their lifetime warranties and customer service. I'm even one of their customers. But I can't help but to notice that regardless of whatever is discussed, the implications leads back to BT is better than everything? We all like what we like when it comes to what audio equipment that we are using. I got asked the other day why the Micro4v2 vs the BT 4180. Simple answer, while I like the power that can "potentially" be delivered from the BT 4180 I can't adjust it and I can get the Micro cheaper and can adjust it. Plus I like the crisp clean sound from the Micro 4. Is that a bad thing? You would think by going against the grain in the forum, I killed someone. My thing is this, if a said piece of equipment works for you then great. Nothing wrong in sharing your experiences with everyone when a questions is asked. But keep in mind there are other brands and or products that are just as good or better and a lot of times cheaper. Take a moment and take a look at the forum threads just listed on the first 2 pages. Damn near everything has something to do with BT. Where is the room for open discussion about other brands minus BT???? Something to think about....... My thing is keep everything fair and impartial. Just because you have a new member or the avg joe looking to upgrade his/her system doesn't mean he/she is solely looking for BT. Sure mention it but also mention the other things out there as well. They may find that mix and matching may work for them and or may save them for the budget conscience rider.

I'm sure there will be some they may disagree with my post and thats fine. But just what I see in regards to the Audio Forum. I have to call a spade a spade.

Last edited by Kesean; 12-24-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:19 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind

BTW, I have a 2014 SGS with stock HU that will not change, BT 4180 w LLs, Herts Millie's in the fairing, and 6x9 Kappas in the lids. And I will never pay a penny for someone to pimp my ride so plug and play is my only option based on my limited audio knowledge. My set up rocks for my circumstances but makes others run for ear plugs.
Just sayin!!!!'

Merry Xmas!!!!!!!

T.
When the fucx did u get this other stuff!!! Lol. Your changing it out every week.

Perfect!

Old 12-24-2015, 07:26 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Kesean

Good post man. All true words.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Kesean

Good post man. All true words.
I just try to keep it honest.....

Old 12-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
When the fucx did u get this other stuff!!! Lol. Your changing it out every week.

Perfect!
Ya this audio stuff is like crack, and this forum the crack pipe.

My dragon got me the BT4180 for Xmas thus the fairing is still off but early indications re this set up are very good for my ears. Got Millie's yesterday but now out on the west coast for the holidays thus the 90 mph test will have to wait.

Someday when I grow a set, I will shake the need for my plug and play crack fix and get into a much broader product base but for now I decided to hang out in my comfort zone.

Thanks for all of the amazing input!!!!!

T.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Kesean
I just try to keep it honest.....
Well said Bro! Absolutely! To understand where the forum is today you would have to know its history! Nutz, GP, pioneer74, floridapoolboy and several more were all the forefathers of this forum and basically made it what it is today. The evolution of new vendors and products was bound to happen sooner or later in this new world of social media and the like. But as poolboy stated in another post. Nutz was the brainchild of this thing and if not for him this forum would not exist as we know it. The guy was a genius! Plain and simple. All haze, myself and Aawav did was take the baton after he went through what he went through. We all were good friends and communicated offline on a regular basis. Anyway right or wrong all we try to do is uphold the example he set a long time ago. None of us will ever be as smart or as skillful as he was with audio but collectively we each bring a different skill set to the table to keep his legacy alive. Hopefully we have represented him well. Hail to the King!!

Old 12-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Thanks for the history lesson. Hail to the King!!