Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Focals or Kappas

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

That's gonna be a popular line!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Hey I saw what you did there!!!!!
At ease Bates! LOL!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:28 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

SQ at high speed is a "mood point", unless you are completely out of the wind.
too much wind noise, etc, etc.
can you hear the amp difference in SQ? not at HW speeds IMHO.
can you hear Speaker difference? yes... (not like in the garage, but I do)

it is a golden rule - referring to home audio - that speakers are AT LEAST 50% of your sound quality. Stick to that rule and - again IMHO - you are "golden".

some of the "GURU's" here are just bike audio ADDICTS Lol
I am not that crazy anymore, simply too busy with work, although I do really enjoy fiddling around. back in the day when playing in a band I hand build all the PA speakers as well as the AMPS (I got Engineer degree).

just my Christmas present

Old 12-23-2015, 12:32 PM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
OK..this is getting good... I didn't realize the T400X put out 140 rms per channel. The Rockford amps always seem underrated, better than being overrated I guess. lol
Question for Mark, I know Haze and Gan have had all these amps on their bike and logged miles listening to them. Have you personally had the Arc 600, BT 4180 and SS 1000D on your bike (or bikes) with a variety of speakers, for hrs on the road. Your comment about spending more time listening to your stereo in traffic at 45 mph is not quite accurate, at least for most of the riders I know. Usually I'm on back road going 60 mph when I really crank my stereo up. There is also the fact after a long ride it seems on the way home with some amps I have had (SS 520, Arc 2 channel 125) it is harder to hear your tunes. Perhaps ear fatigue or the amps getting hot and losing power!
I was actually not a fan of Rockford and used mostly JL in the shop until a good friend who's an audio pro turned me onto these. I have used a few of the SS and Arc amps. The few SS amps I was not pleased by the SQ they produced. The Arc 2 channel amp we have seen a ton of them and not a fan of the power or SQ of them either. So, we moved away from them however I feel that they have their place for someone that just wants a little more power to their system and don't care about loud or SQ. I know very little about the BT products...that is for certain. However, I'm looking into them now after seeing the popularity of them here. We have listened to a large variety of speakers but we have less experience with the lower end stuff, as that's not generally what our customer base is looking for. We have used a bit of the kicker speakers, but can normally find a much more quality solution for not a ton of more money.

My opinion, which is not always right, has been changed quite a bit as I have dug more into audio. Our main business is producing aftermarket fiberglass body parts for Harleys and customizing bikes such as big wheel kits. Following the industry trends we moved into audio which I didn't know a ton about. Now, the majority of our parts are audio related. As I learned more about tuning and SQ, we found that a lot of people were coming in with decent equipment but poor tuning. We actually saved a lot of people some money by simply tuning what they had when they were ready to drop more $$ on bigger systems.

People have different goals...Volume, SQ, etc... Some believe SQ at 75 mph is not achievable. Sure, no system will keep the SQ at speed that it will have sitting still. But you can certainly retain good SQ at speed. Most people base that off having never heard one that did have good SQ at speed. SQ all starts with the signal source. That begins with the head unit, then leads to the amplifier, and finalizes at the output being the speaker.

We have left lower level speakers in and started building a customer's system at the source. We find that a head unit or amp change can give noticeable difference in SQ to even lower end speakers. Did they sound like Focal KRC's..no...but they do sound a lot better than what they did. Putting better speakers inline with the amps they were using would have done nothing compared to what the amp did.

As far as speed goes, I live in Tampa, Fl. While yes, I hit the back roads on the weekend for long rides on the back roads, normally about 60 mph, we also spend a ton of time in the city. And while I'm not Blasting the audio at a red light or 45 mph....during those times I do want to hear good SQ. At 60 MPH you can retain SQ even easier than at hwy speeds of 75mph.

My theory is simple... You start with good fuel (head unit), then a good motor (amp), and then a good car (speakers). Reading the report that the SS's SQ was not that great..only loud..tells me that if someone is willing to invest $500 for better sound...in my theory you start with the gas and the motor.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:43 PM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gannicus
As a rule I don't blast my stereo in 45 mph traffic. Only on the highway. I would never have a problem with you or anyone else disagreeing with me. At the end of the day it's just two opinions. I live and breath this stuff everyday. But that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about audio on a bike. I learn from the guys here everyday. Conversely, If I can share my experience with this stuff to help a fellow forum member out. It's all good. That's what I do. I help people. Just like a good friend of mine helped me some years ago. I'm just paying it forward bro. That's my whole reason for being here. My 3000 vs. 1000 scenario was rhetorical. Simply to make a point. I'm too old to actually ride or trailer my bike to Tampa to have a di*k measuring contest. lol

Haze pretty much laid it out with his post. Thank God because I don't feel like typing that much today. Anyway, Welcome to the forum Mark! From my initial observations you have the potential to be a huge asset on this forum if you hang around long enough.

My best advice to you my friend if you plan on hanging around is to get to know these guys. There are some great guys here with plenty knowlege. Contrary to popular belief neither one of us knows it all.
I'm always open for a different opinion than my own and learned a long time ago that I don't know everything. I've never been a car audio guy, but have been drilling into bike audio pretty hard lately as we are installing it regularly and want to make sure we are offering the best solutions to someone handing me their hard earned money. I hope I can offer some value with any knowledge I have, and I'm positive I'll learn some stuff on here. That's really why I came onto the forum. I want to learn about stuff other than what the mainstream of what I'm used to is using and preaching. I'm not really into debates, but more discussions among open minds. I actually shared your opinion at one point...but my mind was changed by other people and set ups. My only intention here was to offer my opinion on the question asked.....not change anyone's mind. If you ever make it down here or I make it up there....we'll share a beer or 7 and listen to some music...

Old 12-23-2015, 12:52 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mark@lowlifebaggers.com
And while I'm not Blasting the audio at a red light or 45 mph.
Man I'm blasting my **** even louder at 45mph and especially at red lights!!!! You should hear how loud some salsa or latin music sounds at a full stop on Ocean drive on South Beach. Ladies love that ****!!

I think you're theory is very accurate. Kenwood 998 to Hertz Amp to Hertz Speakers = money! and I can tell the difference at 80mph when I swap something out. My bike sounds better than ever right now.

I think the flip side to that is there are some budget/less expensive options that when paired together DO sound pretty damn good. The tough part is figuring out which ones are keepers and which ones are crap, and for the most part a few of us have tried quite a few and lots are crap and some are keepers. I also think certain components 1. compliment each other better or 2. hide the deficiencies of others better.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by AAWAV
SQ at high speed is a "mood point", unless you are completely out of the wind.
too much wind noise, etc, etc.
can you hear the amp difference in SQ? not at HW speeds IMHO.
can you hear Speaker difference? yes... (not like in the garage, but I do)

it is a golden rule - referring to home audio - that speakers are AT LEAST 50% of your sound quality. Stick to that rule and - again IMHO - you are "golden".

some of the "GURU's" here are just bike audio ADDICTS Lol
I am not that crazy anymore, simply too busy with work, although I do really enjoy fiddling around. back in the day when playing in a band I hand build all the PA speakers as well as the AMPS (I got Engineer degree).

just my Christmas present
Did you just call me an addict!!!!

You don't even know man. You been gone too much lately! Oh and I got a good tip for you on getting the 998 EQ perfect.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:20 PM
mark@lowlifebaggers.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by haze324
Man I'm blasting my **** even louder at 45mph and especially at red lights!!!! You should hear how loud some salsa or latin music sounds at a full stop on Ocean drive on South Beach. Ladies love that ****!!

I think you're theory is very accurate. Kenwood 998 to Hertz Amp to Hertz Speakers = money! and I can tell the difference at 80mph when I swap something out. My bike sounds better than ever right now.

I think the flip side to that is there are some budget/less expensive options that when paired together DO sound pretty damn good. The tough part is figuring out which ones are keepers and which ones are crap, and for the most part a few of us have tried quite a few and lots are crap and some are keepers. I also think certain components 1. compliment each other better or 2. hide the deficiencies of others better.
LOL!!! I think blasting Lain Music and Salsa in Miami is not that uncommon. It probably starts a party in traffic!! I completely understand the budget restraints some have or give themselves when it comes to audio. That's why I asked how much he was willing to invest 1st. My answer would have been different based on a different answer. I'm very interested to know about the speaker you mentioned...I'm not sure how I'd like the poor manufacturing points you mentioned, but for a budget scenario they could be an option. Can you get your friend to speak up on those?...

Old 12-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah Mark, it would behove you (love that word) to ck out the Bt stuff, 4180 (4 x 180 rms) handmade in Idaho, Hat's (Hybrid Audio Technology) speakers also made in USA (have won more awards in car audio since 2006 then all the other brands combined), lifetime warranty... Good SH*t!

Old 12-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by mark@lowlifebaggers.com
I'm always open for a different opinion than my own and learned a long time ago that I don't know everything. I've never been a car audio guy, but have been drilling into bike audio pretty hard lately as we are installing it regularly and want to make sure we are offering the best solutions to someone handing me their hard earned money. I hope I can offer some value with any knowledge I have, and I'm positive I'll learn some stuff on here. That's really why I came onto the forum. I want to learn about stuff other than what the mainstream of what I'm used to is using and preaching. I'm not really into debates, but more discussions among open minds. I actually shared your opinion at one point...but my mind was changed by other people and set ups. My only intention here was to offer my opinion on the question asked.....not change anyone's mind. If you ever make it down here or I make it up there....we'll share a beer or 7 and listen to some music...
Roger that Bro! I'm actually going get down that way this summer to rattle Haze's cage. Maybe you can ride to Miami with me and help me drink up Haze's beer! lol

Quick Reply: Focals or Kappas