Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:28 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts
Default 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.

Got the BT 4180 amp, BT7P1 fairing speakers, Alpine SPR-60 tour-pac speakers, BT breakout harness, and 2 BT 355 line levelers. Everything will be here Tuesday the 22nd. I will try and post step by step of the install mainly for when a screw something up and have to ask you guys what’s wrong. The first hiccup was with Amazon I ordered the Alpine speakers on 2 day prime shipping it was going to take four days. Called them up and they said it was too late to cancel, but we will refund your money and you keep the speakers. Upon hearing, that I bought another set on Amazon that will be here on the 22nd. Therefore, I have an extra set of Alpine SPR 60's. It is going to be a good Christmas.
Paul
:ico n_tree:

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 12-20-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:36 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Got the BT 4180 amp, BT7P1 fairing speakers, Alpine SPR-60 tour-pac speakers, BT breakout harness, and 2 BT 355 line levelers. Everything will be here Tuesday the 22nd. I will try and post step by step of the install mainly for when a screw something up and have to ask you guys what’s wrong. The first hiccup was with Amazon I ordered the Alpine speakers on 2 day prime shipping it was going to take four days. Called them up and they said it was too late to cancel, but we will refund your money and you keep the speakers. Upon hearing, that I bought another set on Amazon that will be here on the 22nd. Therefore, I have an extra set of Alpine SPR 60's. It is going to be a good Christmas.
Paul
It's never a bad thing to have an extra set of speakers laying around.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Good the hear Paul. We know what you will be doing next week.
If you don't already have a good pair of terminal crimper's either borrow or purchase a pair. When I started I picked up these and these.
Extra wire ties are also good to have on hand. Some split loom tubing is optional but if you are a neat freak like me it's a must.

As for the power wire going to the battery I would suggest removing the tank and running the inside the plastic tray. This is optional, but I would run a 10ga ground wire (not included) from the battery also and use it rather than grounding the amp to the radio mount, that's just me and what I was taught here.

Removing the tank is easy, easier if near empty.
Remove the seat, the modual on top of the batter it just un-clips and lay it to the side. Remove the plastic tray on top of the batter also. Disconnect the wires and lines at the base or rear of the tank. Do not remove the console. The fuel line is a quick disconnect, you may get a drip or two of fuel so use a paper towel under it. Have a safe place to set the tank. Remove the four bolts (two in front and two in the rear) and lift the tank off.

Before you button everything up turn the handle bars all the way to each stop and make sure nothing under the fairing is binding. Very easy to do on a bike jack.

Taking photos along the way can help in reinstalling everything.

If you have not already found it, here's a link to the install manual.

Here are some pics that may help.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-dsc_0147.jpg   2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-dsc_0151.jpg   2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-dsc_0152.jpg   2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-dsc_0154.jpg  
Old 12-20-2015, 01:15 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Paul, I'd love to see step by step pictures of your install. My BT 4180 amp and BT7P14 fairing speakers were delivered last week. I'm a little gun shy to do the install myself, despite hearing it's a pretty easy install. Easy is all relative. I'll keep an eye here.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
Paul, I'd love to see step by step pictures of your install. My BT 4180 amp and BT7P14 fairing speakers were delivered last week. I'm a little gun shy to do the install myself, despite hearing it's a pretty easy install. Easy is all relative. I'll keep an eye here.
The instructions make it pretty straight forward. I have a lot of pics but not step by step because I didn't purchase it as a kit. Living in Mass you should have plenty of time for the install. If you have any questions ask away. This is a good place to ask as you both have the same equipment.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:04 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bertk
If you don't already have a good pair of terminal crimper's either borrow or purchase a pair. When I started I picked up these and these.
Extra wire ties are also good to have on hand. Some split loom tubing is optional but if you are a neat freak like me it's a must.

As for the power wire going to the battery I would suggest removing the tank and running the inside the plastic tray. This is optional, but I would run a 10ga ground wire (not included) from the battery also and use it rather than grounding the amp to the radio mount, that's just me and what I was taught here.

Remove the seat, the modual on top of the batter it just un-clips and lay it to the side. Remove the plastic tray on top of the batter also. Disconnect the wires and lines at the base or rear of the tank. Do not remove the console. The fuel line is a quick disconnect, you may get a drip or two of fuel so use a paper towel under it. Have a safe place to set the tank. Remove the four bolts (two in front and two in the rear) and lift the tank off.

Before you button everything up turn the handle bars all the way to each stop and make sure nothing under the fairing is binding. Very easy to do on a bike jack.

Thanx again,
Paul

Old 12-20-2015, 06:06 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
I am gun shy too, and I do not even have the parts yet.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:54 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Is that ground wire regular 10 gauge, or is it solid?

Old 12-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Is that ground wire regular 10 gauge, or is it solid?
10ga multi strand wire.
This This
is what I used.

Last edited by Bertk; 12-20-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

10ga multi strand wire. This is what I used.
Will this work?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_72529-295-22...tt=10-awg+wire

or this
http://www.autozone.com/miscellaneou...?checkfit=true

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 12-20-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.