Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
No sorry, I was in too much of a big *** hurry to put it in. However, everything that is under my fairing is plastic plug and play connectors. The only metal contact was the power terminal and the stock speaker wire terminals that attached to the BT speaker tabs. So yes, my set up is different from yours.
Ok thanks Paul. I'm just trying to get a picture of what going on with the kit so to help people in the future. I think you will be better at this than I.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:44 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Ok thanks Paul. I'm just trying to get a picture of what going on with the kit so to help people in the future. I think you will be better at this than I.
I think the key is the breakout harness,we need to post a pic of that by itself. That should help with the confusion; I hope.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:52 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

This may help you can see in the red circle the plugs that come off the breakout harness that connect to the plugs that come off the amp.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
BertK,
What gauge speaker wire did you use for the rear speaks? Those things look pretty husky!!!
Is that what the kit came with?
Was thinking of using the recommended 18 gauge but will go big if needed.

Thanks!!!

T.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:14 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Did you use the standoffs that came with the speakers on the lower fairing? Step 5 in the speaker instructions.
Did you use the BT breakout harness?
Fairing is still on, so no, I haven't used the standoffs. Bill said they were more for "looks" vs function, so I'll re-connect with the stock hardware. I thought the breakout harness only applied to a 4-speaker set-up? I only did front speakers at this time.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:00 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
Fairing is still on, so no, I haven't used the standoffs. Bill said they were more for "looks" vs function, so I'll re-connect with the stock hardware. I thought the breakout harness only applied to a 4-speaker set-up? I only did front speakers at this time.
Yes, I used the stand off's so there is no gap between the outer and inner fairing when it is bolted together. And Yes, the breakout harness is a four speaker set-up, which requires the front stock speaker cables; sorry for all the confusion.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:23 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes, I used the stand off's so there is no gap between the outer and inner fairing when it is bolted together. And Yes, the breakout harness is a four speaker set-up, which requires the front stock speaker cables; sorry for all the confusion.
So I do need the standoffs then ??

Old 12-28-2015, 01:36 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
So I do need the standoffs then ??
Well I asked Bill after you had called him and he told me the standoff's will keep the inner and outer fairing from squeezing together because there is a gap between the two. I used them with the short 1/4-20 X 5/8 bolts "the black ones" that came in the speaker kit.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
BertK,
What gauge speaker wire did you use for the rear speaks? Those things look pretty husky!!!
Is that what the kit came with?
Was thinking of using the recommended 18 gauge but will go big if needed.

Thanks!!!

T.
This This
is the 16 gauge wire is what I used, white and black.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Well I asked Bill after you had called him and he told me the standoff's will keep the inner and outer fairing from squeezing together because there is a gap between the two. I used them with the short 1/4-20 X 5/8 bolts "the black ones" that came in the speaker kit.
I used the standoff's also. Without then there could be a chance of over tightening and causing damage to the inner fairing. I wouldn't want to be the one to test this.

Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.