Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 02:56 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

hbsoldier3

Did you re-use the stock front speaker grills? if not what did you go with? if so, do you know if there are after market grills that fit those speakers?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:18 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by TcHunter
hbsoldier3

Did you re-use the stock front speaker grills? if not what did you go with? if so, do you know if there are after market grills that fit those speakers?

Thanks in advance.
The stock ones, you can see the speaker sits about 5/8 of an inch behind the grill in the Bt bracket. The first pic is BERTK's bike.
:ico n_tree:

Old 12-26-2015, 01:21 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Felling pretty stupid here. Decided to take a crack at the BT install today. Given time constraints, I plan on doing it piecemeal. Tank removal, outer fairing removal was straight forward, but removing the speaker enclosures(are these called pods?) isn't coming too easy. I thought that I had removed all of the hardware, but they don't seem to want to come out. I'm guessing they should come off easy after hardware is removed? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. Also, what is currently on top of the HU? CB module connector and ...? I'm going to need to make room for the amp and LL. Appreciate any help. Hope you're enjoying your new set up Paul!
Dave

Attached Thumbnails 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-dscn0749.jpg   2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-dscn0750.jpg   2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-dscn0751.jpg  
Old 12-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
the speaker enclosures(are these called pods?) isn't coming too easy. I thought that I had removed all of the hardware, but they don't seem to want to come out. I'm guessing they should come off easy after hardware is removed? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. Also, what is currently on top of the HU? CB module connector and ...? I'm going to need to make room for the amp and LL. Appreciate any help. Hope you're enjoying your new set up Paul!
Dave
Yes, the enclosures are called pods. Once all the bolts are out the pod will just about fall off. You are most likely missing one of the three bottom bolts. You can see there location in the pic below. A flex head gear wrench comes in handy.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-dsc_0070.jpg  

Last edited by Bertk; 12-26-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:14 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Okay, thank you. I think I know what bolts you mention here. Looks difficult to get at, hence your recommendation. I'll hit HD or Lowes for it. It is 7/16", right?

Old 12-26-2015, 03:21 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Okay, thank you. I think I know what bolts you mention here. Looks difficult to get at, hence your recommendation. I'll hit HD or Lowes for it. It is 7/16", right?
It's been a while but it think so. The bolts have a hex slot in them so you can use an Allen wrench on them also Some can be removed with a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:04 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

I went out an picked up the 7/16" gear wrench...it's still a dog fight. I have one more- upper left bolt on right side of bike(from riders perspective) and I just can't seem to get at it. I still have a couple to remove on the other side too. I'll get back to it later. Now I understand how Paul busted up a knuckle! I appreciate the help, thank you!

Old 12-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

I went out an picked up the 7/16" gear wrench...it's still a dog fight. I have one more- upper left bolt on right side of bike(from riders perspective) and I just can't seem to get at it. I still have a couple to remove on the other side too. I'll get back to it later. Now I understand how Paul busted up a knuckle! I appreciate the help, thank you!
Another option is to remove the two plastic screws and there retainers that hold the wire caddy on just under the HU. Unplug the wires to the caddy and it will slide over a little.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-lower-bolts.jpg  
Old 12-26-2015, 06:47 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Felling pretty stupid here. Decided to take a crack at the BT install today. Given time constraints, I plan on doing it piecemeal. Tank removal, outer fairing removal was straight forward, but removing the speaker enclosures(are these called pods?) isn't coming too easy. I thought that I had removed all of the hardware, but they don't seem to want to come out. I'm guessing they should come off easy after hardware is removed? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. Also, what is currently on top of the HU? CB module connector and ...? I'm going to need to make room for the amp and LL. Appreciate any help. Hope you're enjoying your new set up Paul!
Dave
The amp will fit right above the HU.The GPS plug and the one that is capped can be tired down in front of the HU.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:43 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Dave, one thing I did not do but wished a had was to replace the two top screws that go through the BT bracket, the stock allen one are a pain to put back in once the amp is installed. I would change the from an Allen head to a bolt. You can see threaded inserts in BERTK's pic where they are located.

Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.