Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:49 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Standoffs?

I bought the brackets & 7.1s, I don't remember any standoffs. Unless you mean the big black "2" shaped brackets, they were already bolted to the speaker brackets so yes I used them.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Standoffs?

I bought the brackets & 7.1s, I don't remember any standoffs. Unless you mean the big black "2" shaped brackets, they were already bolted to the speaker brackets so yes I used them.
See "Step 5"

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014 Speaker Install.pdf (1.59 MB, 187 views)
Old 12-28-2015, 09:37 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Ahhh... those standoffs

Yep used them, thanks.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:52 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Was hoping to take the bike for a highway ride to test out the new sound system, but had difficulty re-attaching the fairing. It closes up well, but the upper bolts do not line up well with the BT bracket(the "2" shaped bracket mentioned above). The bracket is adjustable, but didn't loosen easily. I don't want to strip it. I'll take another crack at it some time this week.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
Was hoping to take the bike for a highway ride to test out the new sound system, but had difficulty re-attaching the fairing. It closes up well, but the upper bolts do not line up well with the BT bracket(the "2" shaped bracket mentioned above). The bracket is adjustable, but didn't loosen easily. I don't want to strip it. I'll take another crack at it some time this week.
There are two cage nuts on the fairing that should move around some. Put one screw in the middle windshield hole to hold the fairing in place then start the top inside screws. You can hold the fairing apart a little and use a flashlight to look inside to line them up. That's what I do.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
There are two cage nuts on the fairing that should move around some. Put one screw in the middle windshield hole to hold the fairing in place then start the top inside screws. You can hold the fairing apart a little and use a flashlight to look inside to line them up. That's what I do.
My memory isn't so great, but I don't believe the issue was with the cage nuts, but with the BT bracket. I believe the bolt inserts through the inner fairing, through the bracket, then to the cage nut? My issue was the bolt not aligning with the bracket. I did try putting the center screw in the outer fairing first and attempted to align the holes, but it didn't work.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:11 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

The fairing is a challenge to get the holes to line up. I took my fairing off today to remount my Sirius XM antenna. It is magnetic so I originally mounted vertical on the BT bracket. Found out that the reception sucks that way so I mounted a bracket to the BT one.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
My memory isn't so great, but I don't believe the issue was with the cage nuts, but with the BT bracket. I believe the bolt inserts through the inner fairing, through the bracket, then to the cage nut? My issue was the bolt not aligning with the bracket. I did try putting the center screw in the outer fairing first and attempted to align the holes, but it didn't work.
Yeah I know what you mean. You may want to give Bill a call and see what he recommends.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3

The fairing is a challenge to get the holes to line up. I took my fairing off today to remount my Sirius XM antenna. It is magnetic so I originally mounted vertical on the BT bracket. Found out that the reception sucks that way so I mounted a bracket to the BT one.
Nicely done, I like it!

I was thinking of doing something similar for the GPS antenna that is now mounted on the bracket that came with the XM modual. The XM antenna is mounted on top of the fairing vent.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.-gps-and-xm.jpg  
Old 12-29-2015, 05:37 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Nicely done, I like it!

I was thinking of doing something similar for the GPS antenna that is now mounted on the bracket that came with the XM modual. The XM antenna is mounted on top of the fairing vent.
I have mine on the BT tray, and it works fine for me. However, I am always open to new ideas. In addition, the XM signal is much better now; in fact it is much better than when it was mounted above the HU.

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 12-29-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTK Bike Tronics install for a newbie.