Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB upgrade worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Wayne Carlton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB upgrade worth it ?

I was wondering if anyone has tried this and is it worth it. The stock cb set up sucks.

J&M 40-ch CB Antenna System Upgrade kit for 2014-16 Ultra/Ltd
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CBAU-HU14

or is their a cheaper set out their

Old 12-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

$120 for a 3ft piece of coax cable and some wire for ground.Sounds a little outrageous for maybe $10 worth the coax and wire.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:19 PM
JM-ANDY
Platinum Sponsor

Wayne,

To answer your question, yes the kit is worth it as it replaces a poorly made rear piece of coax from Harley, with one that is USA made RG58 with stranded core, properly shielded all the way to the end where it attaches to the stud at the back of the trunk, and also provides for better grounding to the metal base at the bottom of the tail trunk.

The ground straps are handmade at our factory in Tucson from USA made copper braided material, all covered in heat-shrink tubing, and well crimped on the ends. Then attached to the bottom of the tail trunk to provide the proper ground path to the forward part of the frame ahead of the battery.
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CBAU-HU14

I apologize for the high price, but it takes over 1.5 hours of shop labor to make each kit, and there is approximately $17 worth of raw material costs into each one, plus packing etc.

The bottom line is that this kit straightens out the ground plane problems that began with the CB antenna installations on the 2014 Rushmore bikes, improves CB transmit distance and modulation.

We just took delivery of our new 2016 Roadglide ultra and Harley has STILL not addresses the poor CB antenna SWR & TX distance issues.

Later in 2016 we will be releasing our new "tunable" shorty CB/AM/FM antennas for the back of the 14-16 Ultras, so that anyone that knows how to properly use an SWR meter can improve on their CB transmission distance even more.

Tucson, AZ 85713
Andy@Jmcorp.com
1-800-358-0881
For HD-Forums VIP Promo $$ discount code send email direct to Andy@Jmcorp.com
Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced

Last summer I started having problems with my CB while participating in the RFTW in one of the Chaplain Corps. Recently I installed the J&M CB upgrade, removed the AM/FM antenna since it can steal up to 30% of the transmitted signal and replaced the stock Harley CB antenna with a 4 foot Firestik Firefly. Yes CB communication is critical to me. I even bought the adapters to put my SWR/power meter in line so I could tweak the SWR and see what power transmission I was getting. So here is the sad part. I have no idea if any of this improved the CB because my CB now seems to be completely dead. Now I have that problem to resolve. BTW the J&M stuff looks top notch. Can't wait to get it all working. Their under to fairing AM/FM antenna works great.