Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd radio issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Odd radio issue

My HK factory radio sound great when the main power switch is set to Aux, but when I turn it to run, the radio looses signal . I checked the wireing and it looks fine. Dealership had no idea. I checked the power antenna and it got its power from the cigar lighter, which is normal. Not sure where to go now. I am that thinking a power drain when turned to run position is the problem, but no ideas how to proceed. I plan on hooking my charger to the bike and see if the problem persists. Could it be my battery getting weak?
I had posted about this before and thought I had it fixed. Now it is doing it again.

Last edited by Diverrick; 12-08-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:32 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Can we have some info? Year, make, model? Are you using anything aftermarket? Amp or anything? Any of this info will help with trouble shooting.
Kris

Old 12-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Diverrick
Tourer

2013 rg. Everything stock except for a hidden antenna under the fairing. It gets its power from the cigar lighter just like it should. When switched to run, it sounds like the antenna has been pulled. Radio is still on, volume works, just cannot get any reception.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Diverrick
Tourer

I also added the first level boom speakers after I blew out my original ones trying to hear a station.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Sounds to me you have a gremlin giving your cig lighter VD (voltage drop) in the run position.To start with I would check your power lead and ground to the antenna.If you have to for testing purposes run the power and ground from the antenna to the battery and see if you get the Same results and work backwards from there

Old 12-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Diverrick
Tourer

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks I'll see about digging into it this weekend as it is supposed to be raining anyhow. I did take the fairing off and check all the connections After moving things around following wires it seemed to work, but then went back to it's old habits the next day. I may just splice in the power to the wires, and avoid the blade connectors at the cig lighter plug.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Diverrick
After moving things around following wires it seemed to work
Sounds like you're getting close.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:16 AM
tuleyne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013 rg. Everything stock except for a hidden antenna under the fairing. It gets its power from the cigar lighter just like it should. When switched to run, it sounds like the antenna has been pulled. Radio is still on, volume works, just cannot get any reception.
Test 3 sources (Radio, Ipod/phone on aux, CD in player). If only the radio doesn't put out sound to the speakers it's either the tuner of the radio or the antenna. If the antenna cable is coax, sometimes the copper core gets brittle and snaps within the insulation, leaving you with two ends butted together. If you have a multimeter test the antenna cable for resistance.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Diverrick
Tourer

OK thanks for the leads. How do I check the coax? it is all sealed up with coating from one end to the other? Put a small hole in the sheath?

Old 12-11-2015, 12:30 PM
tuleyne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK thanks for the leads. How do I check the coax? it is all sealed up with coating from one end to the other? Put a small hole in the sheath?
If you have your stock antenna cable, set your multimeter at the lowest resistance setting, probably 200ohms. Meter the original, and remember or better yet write down the reading. Then disconnect your in-fairing antenna and meter at both ends. The readings on both should be similar. If the in fairing antenna has a higher reading it's probably shorted. Then it would be time to get one from Biketronics with a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: Odd radio issue