Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Install questions... Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:58 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I would suggest the 602's in lowers pushed by the SS pn4.1000.
This amp will give you plenty of headroom to add on later like speaker lids, bag speakers, or both.

2010 Limited with some stuff
+1 excellent suggestion!

Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Taxman
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Amp Install questions... Help please.

My amp went out on my last road trip, so I figured it was time to upgrade. I went with a Soundstream PN4.1000D 1000W 4-Channel Picasso Nano Series Class D Amplifier. Pulled my fairing and pulled the old amp out. The new one has some different hook ups and I'm electronically challenged. Hoping somebody can help me.

First off is what I had:

This is the male plug that plugged into the amp:

But the amp has this female input:

Do I cut that end off and solder on this one?

And do I just match the wire colors or is the order from left to right?

Finally, last question: I have lower fairings installed with HD boom speakers in them. They are powered by the radio only and were not connected to the mini-amp I had in there. I'd like to wire them to the amp since I have a four channel amp now, but I cannot figure out how to identify the speaker wires from this madness coming out of the factory radio.

Can anyone help me figure out how to do this? I'm electronically challenged, but I can strip wire and solder, just needing some guidance.

Thanks.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Taxman
Road Captain
Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jaye H
What HU? What speakers? and how many are you going to wire?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:28 PM
Taxman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gannicus
What HU? What speakers? and how many are you going to wire?
Stock HU. Two Arc audio 602's in the upper fairing and two boom audio speakers in the lower fairing. That's all. In that thread I linked is pictures of my questions.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:48 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jaye H
Stock HU. Two Arc audio 602's in the upper fairing and two boom audio speakers in the lower fairing. That's all. In that thread I linked is pictures of my questions.
Yeah I took a look at the thread. A couple things. Use the RCA's for inputs rather than the High level speaker inputs. You will have to purchase two SNI-35 line levelers and two male RCA's to accomplish this. secondly the SS PN4.1000D is a very powerful amp @ 250 watts @ 2 ohms. Your boom speakers in the lowers will blow if the gains are set too high.

Last edited by Gannicus; 11-30-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Taxman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Yeah I took a look at the thread. A couple things. Use the RCA's for inputs rather than the High level speaker inputs. You will have to purchase two SNI-35 line levelers and two male RCA's to accomplish this. secondly the SS PN4.1000D is a very powerful amp @ 250 watts @ 2 ohms. Your boom speakers in the lowers will blow if the gains are set too high.
I'm clueless as to what to get.

Will these work for the SNI-35 line levelers?

Amazon.com : PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter : Power Converters : Car Electronics Amazon.com : PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter : Power Converters : Car Electronics

I'm completely lost as to the male RCA's to buy.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Taxman
Road Captain

I thought this was just going to be a plug and play set up. I'm very intimidated by electrical stuff. I appreciate the assistance. I've read a hundred threads about this and it seems like folks on this forum don't post a lot of pictures. Wiring diagrams lose me completely.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I may not be the smartest kid in the class, But here's what I would do. Clean that up and get one of these. It's what I used before upgrading my HU. It's a line output converter connect stock speaker wires to input and use RCA cables from output to amp in. This is just a 2 channel in pic but you can get a 4 channel. Then just run new wires from amp to speakers.

Edit: Oh I'm not sure if those speakers will work good with that amp, Might just blow em up. I'm sure one of the tech's around will add info soon.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 12-01-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Taxman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
I may not be the smartest kid in the class, But here's what I would do. Clean that up and get one of these. It's what I used before upgrading my HU. It's a line output converter connect stock speaker wires to input and use RCA cables from output to amp in. This is just a 2 channel in pic but you can get a 4 channel. Then just run new wires from amp to speakers.

Edit: Oh I'm not sure if those speakers will work good with that amp, Might just blow em up. I'm sure one of the tech's around will add info soon.

So this makes it where the speaker wires don't connect to the outputs, but instead to the RCA cables?

And I'm gonna have to swap the speakers. Somebody already chimed in on that on another thread.

Quick Reply: Amp Install questions... Help please.