Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:50 AM
SiggerTX
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Speaker recommendations

I've got a pieced together audio setup on my 06 FLHT. The HU is a Radio Sound from an '05 CVO with 4ohm output for the front channel. The rear is pre-04 HD amp which is 8ohms. I added the Hogtunes tweeter pod and that really helped bring out the highs, now I'm looking to do something for the front speakers as I have the outer fairing off right now. Can anyone recommend a set of reasonably priced 5.25 or maybe even 6.5" speakers that might pair well with this head unit? I seem to get stuck in the rain a lot so marine grade is a must. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts
Old 11-10-2015, 10:50 AM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but changing the speakers alone won't do much to improve your ride, and may make it sound worse. your headunit just doesn't have enough power to make speaker selection a priority.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by nineball
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but changing the speakers alone won't do much to improve your ride, and may make it sound worse. your headunit just doesn't have enough power to make speaker selection a priority.

+1 My point exactly!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 AM
SiggerTX
Road Captain

Good to know, thank you. I was hoping for an easy inexpensive upgrade, I've got other places to spend money on this bike right now.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:36 PM
SiggerTX
Road Captain

I'm full swing into my winter projects (95" kit, apes, etc) and I keep dabbing into these audio threads. I really appreciate how much time, effort, and research that the members of this form do in regards to premium audio systems. That being said, I simply cannot justify investing quite as much as some can. I also don't have an audio background, so I have been looking into plug and play kits. I see that Rockford Fosgate makes a four speaker kit with amplifier that is within my budget however I have not seen many reviews of the product. While I understand that it might not stand up to the premium systems, I am wondering if it is a worthwhile upgrade to my aging set up. The one thing that does concern me is that the stereo on my motorcycle is apparently from the CVO model. I was under the impression that the front speakers were powered by the radio and that the rear speakers were powered by the amplifier underneath the trunk and that they simply draw a line signal from the front speakers. Both the Hogtunes and Rockford packages list a compatibility issue with the CVO system, but can't I simply remove the rear amplifier and wire the rear speakers directly to the new amplifier? As always any input is appreciated!

Old 01-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SiggerTX
I'm full swing into my winter projects (95" kit, apes, etc) and I keep dabbing into these audio threads. I really appreciate how much time, effort, and research that the members of this form do in regards to premium audio systems. That being said, I simply cannot justify investing quite as much as some can. I also don't have an audio background, so I have been looking into plug and play kits. I see that Rockford Fosgate makes a four speaker kit with amplifier that is within my budget however I have not seen many reviews of the product. While I understand that it might not stand up to the premium systems, I am wondering if it is a worthwhile upgrade to my aging set up. The one thing that does concern me is that the stereo on my motorcycle is apparently from the CVO model. I was under the impression that the front speakers were powered by the radio and that the rear speakers were powered by the amplifier underneath the trunk and that they simply draw a line signal from the front speakers. Both the Hogtunes and Rockford packages list a compatibility issue with the CVO system, but can't I simply remove the rear amplifier and wire the rear speakers directly to the new amplifier? As always any input is appreciated!
Yes you can rip that amp out and hook the speakers directly to the amp. Check out Haze's post on this thread for a cost effective system. Post #3

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...some-help.html

Old 01-15-2016, 09:19 PM
SiggerTX
Road Captain

That is pretty impressive. Couple of questions if I may:
First, how does one mount an amp that big in the fairing?
Second: what s the recommendation on tour pak "pod" speakers? I don't imagine that those 6.5" will fit
Third: will this amp accept the speaker-level input? I don't have pre-amp on my radio

Old 01-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

TX, While I never mounted that amp my self, there are numerous threads from guy's that have. I'm sure when this is bumped back up Gannicus can tell you what will fit in your pods, if not shoot him a pm. That amp will accept speaker level in puts,(high level).

Old 01-16-2016, 12:35 PM
ravenwrx
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alpine Type R. sound great, never had a problem with them..