Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:53 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is good information. I used the V-twin audio grilles instead of Boom. They do not appear to be touching when I look through with a flashlight, but now I'm going to double check.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:12 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawkclint
This is good information. I used the V-twin audio grilles instead of Boom. They do not appear to be touching when I look through with a flashlight, but now I'm going to double check.
The problem I had was with the Kappa's installed on the outside of the pods, just like the stock speakers. The damage was done by the grills and the fairing opening. Where do you have the Kappa's installed, inside or outside the pods?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:19 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
The problem I had was with the Kappa's installed on the outside of the pods, just like the stock speakers. The damage was done by the grills and the fairing opening. Where do you have the Kappa's installed, inside or outside the pods?
Mine are also on the outside. I went and looked again today. I can't tell if they are touching or not. They are definitely not touching the front of the grille, but I can't see the edges to know if they are touching the sides.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jayhawkclint
Mine are also on the outside. I went and looked again today. I can't tell if they are touching or not. They are definitely not touching the front of the grille, but I can't see the edges to know if they are touching the sides.
In my case the speaker surround was hitting the fairing opening and grill, not the tweeter. If you have the Kappa's installed, they will hit. The openings where not sized for standard 6.5 speakers. You can see the difference in the pics below.

You can't tell if they are hitting by looking at them after there installed. The only way to tell would be to install the speakers and pods with no grills. You will also have to take into account that the surround will be moving outward when you crank them up.

Attached Thumbnails Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-stock-hd-speaker.jpg   Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-kappa.jpg  
Old 01-17-2016, 10:31 AM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Here are mine that were damaged. The tear seemed to always start at the point where the screw holds the grill.

The problem is the mounting ring is too thick on the Kappas, I think it was close to .375" The Hertz speaker mounting ring was only .125"..

Old 01-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie
Here are mine that were damaged. The tear seemed to always start at the point where the screw holds the grill.

The problem is the mounting ring is too thick on the Kappas, I think it was close to .375" The Hertz speaker mounting ring was only .125"..
I wouldn't want to be the first to test this out.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:09 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie

Cam said, there should be no problems with the hertz and the pods. What you posted really makes sense.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:38 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Here are the comparisons.

Kappa surround is just under 5 5/8"

Mille Pro surround is just over 5 5/8"

Stock surround is 4 3/4" - 5 1/8" if you want to count the where it's glued to the basket.

I can see what you are saying about the Kappa's having a thicker basket and moving the speaker closer to the fairing opening. The only way to tell for sure if the surround will clear the fairing opening is to install the speaker on the pod and install the pod. Then look into the opening and check the clearance and allow for the surround to move outward.

Attached Thumbnails Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-mille-pros-vs-kappa.jpg   Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-kappa-in-pod.jpg   Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-kappa-in-pod-2.jpg   Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-mille-pro-in-pod.jpg   Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-mille-pro-in-pod-2.jpg  

Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-stock-speaker-in-pod.jpg   Kappa 62.11i Surronds torn apart-stock-speaker-in-pod-2.jpg