Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much sound can be had from lid speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How much sound can be had from lid speakers

I am by no means an audiophile but like to listen to music every once in a while. Currently using uclear bike communications to BT about 30 songs from my phone for when the need arises.

Thinking one of these - http://www.jlaudio.com/mbt-rx-marine...receiver-91126 into an amp and a set of 5x7s in Harley's speaker lids.

With the right speakers and the right amp, would you even be able to hear them? I wear a FF Schuberth helmet that does a darn good job of keeping the wind noise to almost 0 even without the windshield on the bike.

I have lower fairings on order but do not want to add speakers and I will not mount speakers to the bars.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:59 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't were helmet much and only half helmet when do so don't know about that, but can tell you lowers was Huge difference and 6x9 in lids rock and add so much to sound field at speeds below 50mph which is perfect for our country cruising and sound ok up to 70mph and pretty much not herd after that .also depends on if you are two up she tends to block some with her legs.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Hmm, started to input on this,, but... not sure how bag lid speakers would perform SOLELY ON THEIR OWN... I can hear mine for sure, when the wife isn't on the bike. I actually put them on thinking they'd help her,, but her legs block most of the sound I suppose, she says she hears the fairing speakers on my Road Glide over all, and I can't distinguish the bags when she's on. HOWEVER with the bike in solo configuration, I do hear them, with a distinct "Surround" sound effect.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:41 PM
PSRumors
Road Captain

I had not thought about her legs blocking the sound. I ride 2 up lots. I do plan on buying a batwing fairing for colder months and it will have a radio, would just be nice to have something when there is no fairing.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:23 PM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PSRumors
I had not thought about her legs blocking the sound. I ride 2 up lots. I do plan on buying a batwing fairing for colder months and it will have a radio, would just be nice to have something when there is no fairing.
Put all your money up front. Trust me I have done it all my bag speakers are good at 35 - 55 not worth it I have all BT system .

Old 10-28-2015, 05:10 AM
PSRumors
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tdgriff
Put all your money up front. Trust me I have done it all my bag speakers are good at 35 - 55 not worth it I have all BT system .
But then 7 months out of the year there will not be music on the bike. I dont plan on having the fairing on in the warmer months.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Hmm, started to input on this,, but... not sure how bag lid speakers would perform SOLELY ON THEIR OWN... I can hear mine for sure, when the wife isn't on the bike. I actually put them on thinking they'd help her,, but her legs block most of the sound I suppose, she says she hears the fairing speakers on my Road Glide over all, and I can't distinguish the bags when she's on. HOWEVER with the bike in solo configuration, I do hear them, with a distinct "Surround" sound effect.
Funny that was a lot of the reason I added lid speakers but like it a lot when its a win win.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:31 PM
niterhyder
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can hear my lid speakers at lower speeds, they definately increase overall system volume, but when going 70 can they overcome all the other noise(including front speakers)? No way! The front speakers dominate the sound at those speeds...biketronics system with 7.1 front, bt6x9 lids and bt4160 amp.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:02 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I have BT 7.1's in the fairing, BT 6.5's in the lowers, and Hogtune lids with 6x9's. IMO, you'd be better off with speakers in the lowers if you had to choose between one or the other if you are at speed. That said, the fairing speakers easily overpower the others. It's all about placement. The lids sound really good in the garage though.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 PM
starbiker99
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good thread! Speaker lids were on my list for this winter however my wife rides with me near 90% of the time so I have decided that money will go to some other silly upgrade

Quick Reply: How much sound can be had from lid speakers