Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...I just ordered 7.1 speakers...What next???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:27 PM
pworks
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So...I just ordered 7.1 speakers...What next???

I just pre-ordered Biketronics 7.1 Speakers for $179.00 with forum discount and I want to see what would be the best additional upgrade. I have the stock 2 speaker setup with the PBR 300x2 amp and the Polk MM speakers. That seemed to be the cheap hot setup a couple of years ago.

If I'm going to upgrade (modestly) should I get the CV B2 amp to go with the stock head and 7.1 speakers or would I be better off to upgrade the head unit. By the way, Biketronics has the radio install kit right now for $149.00 plus the forum discount. A couple of years ago there were a number of threads from the Guru's here that said the PBRx2 and the 7.1's were a good setup but recent comments indicate the PBRx2 is too weak.

Also, what could I sell the Polks for. I haven't had any problems with mine.

Advice???

Don

Last edited by pworks; 10-07-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2015, 05:31 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Stocker is CRAP... sorry to say.
while you are opening the fairing, might as well replace stocker.

parts you need:
Aftermarket Radio... 100 or more
handlebar control (BT or ASWC-1/Metra combo or HAWK) 70 or more
rainshield/guard (VTwin/Scosche/BT) 20 or more

ASWC-1 is "by far" cheaper and in general AVC (BT supports, ASWC-1 NOT!) is overrated IMO. I love my 1 push ""MUTE"" / UNMUTE".

so - in short, for 200 (or more) you got the stocker replaced. if in good shape you can sell that one off (Price may vary)

Polks - not sure. People are a bit hesitant about them due to the Quality control issue (stalk meltdown). if you post them here, you better take close ups on the tweeter stalks.
PBR - prob. around 75. sell it as a set.
I started with that combo as well and it was definitely good... as good as I got now... NO!!!!

Old 10-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by pworks
A couple of years ago there were a number of threads from the Guru's here that said the PBRx2 and the 7.1's were a good setup but recent comments indicate the PBRx2 is too weak.
Yep, the 300x2 really doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to push the 7.1s to their full potential.

If you can only do one right now, I'd personally do the CV amp like you mentioned and save up for the radio - my thought is a weak HU but great amp and speakers will sound better than great HU/speakers with a weak amp. Then again, if the increased functionality of a great HU is more appealing to you in the short term that may be better for you. Decisions Decisions.........

Old 10-07-2015, 08:15 PM
t100rc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RF amp is a little weak. I'm running it and I am considering going to either the CV or something else with some nuts. Those BT speakers have a great reputation and the extra power / headroom would likely help to get them to shine.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I just pre-ordered Biketronics 7.1 Speakers for $179.00 with forum discount and I want to see what would be the best additional upgrade. I have the stock 2 speaker setup with the PBR 300x2 amp and the Polk MM speakers. That seemed to be the cheap hot setup a couple of years ago.

If I'm going to upgrade (modestly) should I get the CV B2 amp to go with the stock head and 7.1 speakers or would I be better off to upgrade the head unit. By the way, Biketronics has the radio install kit right now for $149.00 plus the forum discount. A couple of years ago there were a number of threads from the Guru's here that said the PBRx2 and the 7.1's were a good setup but recent comments indicate the PBRx2 is too weak.

Advice???

Don
I'm always looking for a good set of polks. PM Me.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:33 AM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just pre-ordered Biketronics 7.1 Speakers for $179.00 with forum discount
care to share the details? while many on here rave about the bt speakers i always found them to be a bit pricey vs what i can get from other avenues. $180 isn't bad.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:46 PM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
care to share the details? while many on here rave about the bt speakers i always found them to be a bit pricey vs what i can get from other avenues. $180 isn't bad.
Looks to me like they have dropped their price on them, I paid $270 for them last year and they are listed at $199 on the site now.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:53 PM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks but i was referring to the discount code.

i called bt today and the normal price for the 7.1 is $299 now but they are offering $100 off if you pre-order. the discount code for 10% off is hdforum which brings the cost down to $179 now.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:20 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Advice???

Don
The RF amp wont be enough...tried it

Old 10-09-2015, 05:26 PM
pworks
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I too was surprised at the price on the Biketronics website. I wonder why no one has started a thread about it.

I was looking for a CV B2 amp and on sonic electronics it showing discontinued. Is there an alternative??

Last edited by pworks; 10-09-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: So...I just ordered 7.1 speakers...What next???