Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Fairing, Which Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:58 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Which Fairing, Which Speakers?

I have a bit of a problem, not sure which way to go. I'm running J&M MHAS speakers on my Heritage, they sound surprisingly good for handlebar speakers. They do not, however, come close to the sounds I enjoyed on my old Streetglide, which is why I'm thinking of adding a fairing. I have it narrowed down to either a Reckless or a Woodys fairing, and there lies the problem. The Woodys fairing has great reviews, all I've read says the quality is excellent and the customer service is top notch. The only speaker options, however, are four 5 1/4 speakers or a pair of 4x10s, a really oddball choice. The Reckless fairing has a mix of negative and positive reviews, but let's you go with a pair of 6 1/2 inch or even 6x9 speakers. I don't know how the four 5 1/4 inch speakers would stack up compared to the Reckless options, since I never heard that setup. I really want some kick-a$$ tunes if I go the fairing route, anyone have some experience with both setups?

Old 09-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
I have a bit of a problem, not sure which way to go. I'm running J&M MHAS speakers on my Heritage, they sound surprisingly good for handlebar speakers. They do not, however, come close to the sounds I enjoyed on my old Streetglide, which is why I'm thinking of adding a fairing. I have it narrowed down to either a Reckless or a Woodys fairing, and there lies the problem. The Woodys fairing has great reviews, all I've read says the quality is excellent and the customer service is top notch. The only speaker options, however, are four 5 1/4 speakers or a pair of 4x10s, a really oddball choice. The Reckless fairing has a mix of negative and positive reviews, but let's you go with a pair of 6 1/2 inch or even 6x9 speakers. I don't know how the four 5 1/4 inch speakers would stack up compared to the Reckless options, since I never heard that setup. I really want some kick-a$$ tunes if I go the fairing route, anyone have some experience with both setups?
You want the reckless fairing with some Infinity 693.9i's if you can find them. Awesome sound!

Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

After considering the opinions of others I decided on Reckless with four 5.25" speakers, the Infinity stereo, handlebar controls and the Rockford 4 channel amp.
I considered the two 6X9s because I heard they have better bass, but I like the look of the four speakers better.

I decided to go with the installed package due to that even though I'm an Electronic Tech by trade I'm certainly not an audio guru plus I really didn't want to screw with it.

I just happen to be traveling on vacation near Maryville TN on Sept. 24th so I'll be picking the fairing up on my way back to Nebraska from North Carolina.

Last edited by Bluraven; 09-15-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

I agree that the four 5 1/4 speakers look better than the two 6x9s, my main concern is how well they sound. Looks like you were saying something in your last sentence but the end somehow got cut off, just what were you told about the 5.25s?

Old 09-15-2015, 04:19 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

Anybody else? I'm really looking for opinions on the sound quality of the four 5.25 speakers versus two 6.5s or 6x9s..... I don't want to make a decision I'll regret!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

I agree that the four 5 1/4 speakers look better than the two 6x9s, my main concern is how well they sound. Looks like you were saying something in your last sentence but the end somehow got cut off, just what were you told about the 5.25s?

I was editing and forgot to delete.

I did hear the 5.25s rock, but why would then not when they are four of them connected to a 50w stereo and a 300w amp.

Looking forward to picking up my fairing next week.
I'll post my review.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:20 PM
m.colley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Reckless Fairing on my 2011 Road King with 4 5 1/4 speakers. While I was deciding on what fairing to buy I had a long conversation with Glenn of Woody's. His reasoning behind using 4 5 1/4's was that most people buy a 4 channel amp.

The finish on my Reckless Fairing was good as was the fitment and for the price difference between the Reckless and Woody fairing I bought most of my stereo equipment.

With all that being said if you want good sound, don't go cheap on your speakers. I bought Polk DB 521's because the price was reasonable, now I'm in the process of upgrading/replacing with Infinity Kappa's. The Polks are ok but leave something to be desired. I started out with the RF PBR300x4 and I'll be changing it out as soon as my funds allow, probably before I replace my speakers, going with the CV B2 or B4( still haven't made up my mind).

Martin

Last edited by m.colley; 09-15-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Poolboy -

I've heard the 4 5.25's in the fairing and I know a guy who has 4 5.25's in each lid as well. They are nice and LOUD but there is absolutely no bass. Other than that. The sound quality is good. If it was me I'd go 6x9's. That said. I agree. The 5.25's LOOK better. But they don't sound better. Up to you my friend. My .02

Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

Bluraven - Looking forward to your review!

m.colley - Thanks for the review on the Reckless, good to hear that the fit and finish were nice. I agree, get good speakers!

Gannicus - Yeah, I hear ya, tough enough to get bass on a bike. Do you think a pair of 6.5s would be better than four 5.25s, and do you think the 6x9s are that much better bass wise than 6.5s? I could get a pair of BT 6.5 inch speakers, how would that be as far as bass? I can't quite get used to looking at a pair of 6x9s staring back at me, but I would do it if the sound was that much better.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Bluraven - Looking forward to your review!

m.colley - Thanks for the review on the Reckless, good to hear that the fit and finish were nice. I agree, get good speakers!

Gannicus - Yeah, I hear ya, tough enough to get bass on a bike. Do you think a pair of 6.5s would be better than four 5.25s, and do you think the 6x9s are that much better bass wise than 6.5s? I could get a pair of BT 6.5 inch speakers, how would that be as far as bass? I can't quite get used to looking at a pair of 6x9s staring back at me, but I would do it if the sound was that much better.
The Titan II's have excellent bass for a 6.5 speaker as long as you push them with the Cerwin Vega B2 or the PA 2000D. Yes Sir! They sound much better than the 5.25's.

Quick Reply: Which Fairing, Which Speakers?