Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Head unit

Alright my stock HK is toast. What is a solid aftermarket replacement? I need bluetooth and a cd player. $250 budget

Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 PM
RedGlide12
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your budget $250 total or just for the head unit? If you want to keep your factory hand controls the Biketronics install kit is going to run about $200. I just picked up a factory refurb Kenwood x997 and a "scratch and dent" Biketronics kit from Crutchfield and spent about $320.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:11 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

U can get everything u need for roughly 150

Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here ya go...
Alpine CDE-HD149BT

Old 09-10-2015, 04:50 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
U can get everything u need for roughly 150
How does this help the OP? And how can you get a new HU and still retain the hand controls for 150.00? I'm sure more than the OP would like to know that!

OP,, you can get your HU refurbished for about 250.00 at a place that specializes in the HK units. http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/
When they get done it'll be better than new from what I've heard. However this won't get you BT capability still. You are making it tough saying your budget is 250.00... of course if that's all you can afford at the moment that is all you can afford! Like Redglide said above,, the kit to make your hand controls work is gonna cost you that much almost.

Last edited by JimTJr; 09-10-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:24 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimTJr
How does this help the OP? And how can you get a new HU and still retain the hand controls for 150.00? I'm sure more than the OP would like to know that!

OP,, you can get your HU refurbished for about 250.00 at a place that specializes in the HK units. http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/
When they get done it'll be better than new from what I've heard. However this won't get you BT capability still. You are making it tough saying your budget is 250.00... of course if that's all you can afford at the moment that is all you can afford! Like Redglide said above,, the kit to make your hand controls work is gonna cost you that much almost.
Well smart *** stay tuned

Old 09-10-2015, 05:29 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...l#post14133553

See post 2, Closer to 180 not 150 sry but not hard at all within that budget..

Last edited by decencyxdefied; 09-10-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mir, I'm in the same boat. Just confirmed yesterday that my HU is also toasty, would get that same faint "pop" you referenced in another post and would lose sound or volume would drastically decrease. Yesterday, the same thing was happening with my HU running directly to my speakers instead of through my amp.

So now I'm considering my aftermarket options as well, as the stock HU is ancient tech and underwhelming compared to what's out there today, bluetooth capabilities, USB stick ports, XM or sirius, etc etc.

BUT, as to be expected, the aftermarket car stereos are not waterproof unless you look at marine radios as an option, or you have to have a separate cover, correct?

And to retain hand controls, you can look at the metra kit, which is inexpensive and works, but doesn't retain AVC (is this correct?) or the biketronics kit, which retains hand controls and also retains AVC?

Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowbennie
Mir, I'm in the same boat. Just confirmed yesterday that my HU is also toasty, would get that same faint "pop" you referenced in another post and would lose sound or volume would drastically decrease. Yesterday, the same thing was happening with my HU running directly to my speakers instead of through my amp.

So now I'm considering my aftermarket options as well, as the stock HU is ancient tech and underwhelming compared to what's out there today, bluetooth capabilities, USB stick ports, XM or sirius, etc etc.

BUT, as to be expected, the aftermarket car stereos are not waterproof unless you look at marine radios as an option, or you have to have a separate cover, correct?

And to retain hand controls, you can look at the metra kit, which is inexpensive and works, but doesn't retain AVC (is this correct?) or the biketronics kit, which retains hand controls and also retains AVC?
Shadow - This is a really nice marine unit:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FQaKaQodkZ8Dgw

All your assumptions are correct. You will need an install kit to control your stereo from your handle bars and the only one that retains AVC is the biketronics unit. Metra and Hawg wired do not. My favorite install kit is the Hawg wired because it's so simple to hook up and I have no need for AVC. if I want my volume up or down I just use my hand controls. Even with the marine unit you will also need a rain cover to protect your investment. Your other alternative is to purchase the Jensen or the Aquatic. At the end of the day you're gonna spend $500 bucks to switch out your radio either way you go. You can do it much cheaper but it's also a bigger PITA.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Head unit

Thanks for the replies guys. So the $100 kit on fleabay with the mount kit and thumb control is junk?

Quick Reply: Head unit