Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp question. 2 ch 4 ch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:57 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Amp question. 2 ch 4 ch.

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Yes Sir! We all know the stock speakers are 5.25 speakers. Trust me. Once you take those out the 6.5 kickers will drop right in with 4 screws. Go with 8 gauge cable for power and ground. 16 gauge for the speakers.
Are 14 gauge wires too much for 6.5" speakers?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

You're fine.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Default Connections

I have the amp RZ4-2000D. Have the wire suggested and a in line fuse. Questions are. On the bike. Does anybody use the AUX switch to power the amp on/off or do you wire into the faring cig lighter. Or is there a better option? I am 53 The last time I installed an amp I was 23. I am confused about the gain settings. Once I put the bike back together I don't want to have to take the faring apart and move dials for days. I will test it but is there a good starting point? Equipment and taste may vary. But there is gain, cross over. I am assuming the Remote in and out are so the power is off while the bike is off? But how is the Tuner Hardman Kardon hooked to the AMP?

I will get the Kickers/speakers from Cruchfield tomorrow. I took off Septembe 1. That is the day I will start and finish project. Hopefully? Any suggestion or advice are welcome thanks.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Budda109
I have the amp RZ4-2000D. Have the wire suggested and a in line fuse. Questions are. On the bike. Does anybody use the AUX switch to power the amp on/off or do you wire into the faring cig lighter. Or is there a better option? I am 53 The last time I installed an amp I was 23. I am confused about the gain settings. Once I put the bike back together I don't want to have to take the faring apart and move dials for days. I will test it but is there a good starting point? Equipment and taste may vary. But there is gain, cross over. I am assuming the Remote in and out are so the power is off while the bike is off? But how is the Tuner Hardman Kardon hooked to the AMP?

I will get the Kickers/speakers from Cruchfield tomorrow. I took off Septembe 1. That is the day I will start and finish project. Hopefully? Any suggestion or advice are welcome thanks.
Okay Buddah what are we hooking the PA up to? 4 Kickers and the stock HU?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Budda109
Road Captain
Default Stock

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Okay Buddah what are we hooking the PA up to? 4 Kickers and the stock HU?

It is the stock unit from 2011 Electra Glide Lmited. Rears are Kickers and the fronts are 6.5 in. Coaxial Speaker Kit - 21-8308 from Dennis Kirk.Thanks

Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

1. Remote wire --- yes that is to trigger the on/off of the amp. Connect a wire from remote on the amp to the orange wire on the end of your headlamp wire assembly. There should be an orange wire with a female connection there.

2. How to connect amp to radio - Do you have the hi-level input wires that came with the amp? If so, you want to connect your speaker output wires from your amp that currently connect to your speakers to these wires. So radio speaker "outs" connect to amp hi-level "inputs". Pos to Pos, neg to neg, etc.

3. Gains. Follow the sticky below. Essentially you want to set your radio to about 70% volume then start raising your gains until you hear distortion. Once you do back it down just a tad. Do it for both front and rear speakers.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-with-dmm.html

Old 08-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Default Thank you Haze324

Originally Posted by haze324
1. Remote wire --- yes that is to trigger the on/off of the amp. Connect a wire from remote on the amp to the orange wire on the end of your headlamp wire assembly. There should be an orange wire with a female connection there.

2. How to connect amp to radio - Do you have the hi-level input wires that came with the amp? If so, you want to connect your speaker output wires from your amp that currently connect to your speakers to these wires. So radio speaker "outs" connect to amp hi-level "inputs". Pos to Pos, neg to neg, etc.

3. Gains. Follow the sticky below. Essentially you want to set your radio to about 70% volume then start raising your gains until you hear distortion. Once you do back it down just a tad. Do it for both front and rear speakers.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-with-dmm.html
The info you gave me will save me a lot of time and second guessing myself. I hope to finish Tuesday. May start Sunday night. I can't wait to hear it when done. I think I have most every thing. Going to grab a few supplies yet tonight. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:25 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

The info you gave me will save me a lot of time and second guessing myself. I hope to finish Tuesday. May start Sunday night. I can't wait to hear it when done. I think I have most every thing. Going to grab a few supplies yet tonight. Thanks again.
Any questions just post it up man. That set up will be a huge upgrade over stock. Good luck with the install

Old 08-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Budda109
Road Captain
Default Since you asked.

Originally Posted by haze324
Any questions just post it up man. That set up will be a huge upgrade over stock. Good luck with the install
The high level inputs are tapped into the R-L Front out and R-L Rear out as pictured here?

Attached Thumbnails Amp question. 2 ch 4 ch.-pinout-for-radio.png  

Quick Reply: Amp question. 2 ch 4 ch.