Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp question. 2 ch 4 ch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Budda109
I looked up that amp. RZ4 2000D. I asked my buddy were he good it from and asked if he minded if I return it for another. The RZ4 2000D id on sale for 109.00 so I got him $20 back and got the one I should be able to use. Wiring looks like a bitch. Will have to research that. Thanks for the offer. You guys on this site are great! Sonic electronics was the place. Hope it all fits together.
A few things to remember brother.. . .

1. Your going to get way more than a slight punch from that amp!
2. Be very careful with the gains on the BOOMS. The booms will blow in a heartbeat with that amp.
3. Wiring is really simple once you get the fairing off and understand what you are looking at.
4. As suggested above I'd switch the BOOMS out with the kickers and I know guys think because Harley Davidson markets the booms as the "Best" speakers you can buy for your Harley they are good speakers. But the truth is they are the worst speakers you can have on your motorcycle.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:28 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
A few things to remember brother.. . .

1. Your going to get way more than a slight punch from that amp!
2. Be very careful with the gains on the BOOMS. The booms will blow in a heartbeat with that amp.
3. Wiring is really simple once you get the fairing off and understand what you are looking at.
4. As suggested above I'd switch the BOOMS out with the kickers and I know guys think because Harley Davidson markets the booms as the "Best" speakers you can buy for your Harley they are good speakers. But the truth is they are the worst speakers you can have on your motorcycle.
Well I have the Boom in the rear. So If it blows I will go from there. Any advice on the wiring? I know I will have to remove the tank I think. But other then the power and ground line any tips?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Well I have the Boom in the rear. So If it blows I will go from there. Any advice on the wiring? I know I will have to remove the tank I think. But other then the power and ground line any tips?
Yes. If you are going with the booms take my friends AAWAV and HAZE'S advice. Wire in series. If you wire the PA to the booms straight up. As soon as you turn the volume up they will blow. Ask me how I know. . . lol. All jokes aside if you keep the gains very low and wire in series you might be okay. As a rule I don't believe in wiring in series but with the booms and the PA you're gonna have to.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Budda109
Road Captain

Yes. If you are going with the booms take my friends AAWAV and HAZE'S advice. Wire in series. If you wire the PA to the booms straight up. As soon as you turn the volume up they will blow. Ask me how I know. . . lol. All jokes aside if you keep the gains very low and wire in series you might be okay. As a rule I don't believe in wiring in series but with the booms and the PA you're gonna have to.

For a replacement in the tour pack what would you recommend? I could sell the Booms and stick something else in there. I believe they are 5.25 inch would like to stick with that if I could thanks.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

For a replacement in the tour pack what would you recommend? I could sell the Booms and stick something else in there. I believe they are 5.25 inch would like to stick with that if I could thanks.
Drop the 6.5 Kicker KSC67's in there my friend. They drop right in with 4 screws.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641KS...&awmt=b&awnw=g

Now don't let the 6 3/4 scare you off. Same footprint as the 6.5. They sound very good with the PA and more importantly you won't blow them up. Unhook the old speakers and tie off the wires. Use 16 gauge wire and run the speaker wires straight to the speaker side of the amp. To keep it simple use the back channel for the pod speakers and use the front channel for the fairing speakers.

Last edited by Gannicus; 08-23-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Budda109
Road Captain

Drop the 6.5 Kicker KSC67's in there my friend. They drop right in with 4 screws.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641KS...&awmt=b&awnw=g

Now don't let the 6 3/4 scare you off. Same footprint as the 6.5. They sound very good with the PA and more importantly you won't blow them up. Unhook the old speakers and tie off the wires. Use 16 gauge wire and run the speaker wires straight to the speaker side of the amp. To keep it simple use the back channel for the pod speakers and use the front channel for the fairing speakers.

They look great. But don't I need 2 ohm speakers with the stock radio? Thanks

Old 08-24-2015, 01:06 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

They look great. But don't I need 2 ohm speakers with the stock radio? Thanks
Not if you are using an amp that supports 4ohm.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by haze324
Not if you are using an amp that supports 4ohm.
+1 The speaker impedance is controlled by the amp once you integrate an amp into the mix. As my friend HAZE said if your amp is two or four ohm compatible you can run two or four ohm speakers and the impedance of the HU doesn't matter.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Default So Many questions

Sorry I have so many questions. You said that the speakers were drop in. On the 2011. The rears are 5.25 not 6.5. I believe the 6.5 is 2014 ,2015, 2016. The amp looks like it should be easy after the tank is removed. To run the wires from the battery to the front. I should have the amp by Thursday will take some time to get to it. Hope to have it done before the rally weekend over the Holiday. Is 8 gage a good size wire to go with? Thanks

Old 08-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry I have so many questions. You said that the speakers were drop in. On the 2011. The rears are 5.25 not 6.5. I believe the 6.5 is 2014 ,2015, 2016. The amp looks like it should be easy after the tank is removed. To run the wires from the battery to the front. I should have the amp by Thursday will take some time to get to it. Hope to have it done before the rally weekend over the Holiday. Is 8 gage a good size wire to go with? Thanks
Yes Sir! We all know the stock speakers are 5.25 speakers. Trust me. Once you take those out the 6.5 kickers will drop right in with 4 screws. Go with 8 gauge cable for power and ground. 16 gauge for the speakers.

Quick Reply: Amp question. 2 ch 4 ch.