Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aswc-1 and Metra setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:54 AM
09baggerdude
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Ground the pink and white wire from the handlebars to the ground on the amp. Run the one from the ASWC there too.

2010 Limited with some stuff
pink white to pink white harness to ground...no change

Old 08-09-2015, 06:36 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,756 Posts

You get one long green flash followed by six short green flashes? If that is correct then the problem is with your pink/white wire according to Metra Support.

Then you get two red flashes which indicate Kenwood, is that right?....so you have red to red, yellow to yellow, black to black this is from Metra harness to Kenwood harness....then the blue/yellow wire from the kenwood harness is for steering wheel control this connects to the solid brown wire on the 1/8 plug of the Metra Harness...did you physically prove that the bike end of the pink/white wire goes to the left handlebar control (if you were sitting on the bike, that is)? Is the 1/8 plug seated all the way in (grasping at straws here)?

I swore up and down that I had everything wired properly, then it turned out I spliced the Metra pink/white to the wrong side of the cut

Metra support is 1-800-253-8324, I think they are in Florida, you will probably be on hold for a while. If you can, try and be at your bike during the call. If you have to call back, you might not get the same person you were just talking to and have to start all over.

Jim

Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM
09baggerdude
Road Master

Jim
All of the above is correct. I will reconfirm again in the am. But everything you have described is my issue...if anyone else has anything else. Feel free to chime in...
Thanks for the help Jim...i will call metra tomorrow. ..

Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 PM
09baggerdude
Road Master
Default dumba$$ award!!! I win!!!

Let me start out by saying that this is my first touring bike. I've only had it for about a year...and unfortunately due to my job, I spend way more time away from her than I do riding her. That being said...here's my story.
I called Metra. Twice. The first guy wasn't very helpful. Not much knowledge of the product. I asked him if I was connecting the pink/white wire to the switch...he replied "on the upside of the cut"...wtf?
Fast forward...call #2. This guy knew his $ hit! He explained while it's not likely, it's possible that even connecting the two pink/white wires together (cut wire and harness wire) would not complete the ground loop needed. And that in some cases, an additional ground might be necessary. He said to use its own ground. Not the battery ground because there is resistance....nor any other ground being used....it needed one of its own....interesting!
Now to my issue. You need to make sure that you're using the volume up switch, not the mode switch, to program the unit. There...i said it...I'm a dumba$$. Thanks for all the help guys...sorry to trouble y'all!

Old 08-12-2015, 05:56 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,756 Posts
Default aswc-1 and Metra setup

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Jim

Old 08-12-2015, 04:52 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 09baggerdude
Let me start out by saying that this is my first touring bike. I've only had it for about a year...and unfortunately due to my job, I spend way more time away from her than I do riding her. That being said...here's my story.
I called Metra. Twice. The first guy wasn't very helpful. Not much knowledge of the product. I asked him if I was connecting the pink/white wire to the switch...he replied "on the upside of the cut"...wtf?
Fast forward...call #2. This guy knew his $ hit! He explained while it's not likely, it's possible that even connecting the two pink/white wires together (cut wire and harness wire) would not complete the ground loop needed. And that in some cases, an additional ground might be necessary. He said to use its own ground. Not the battery ground because there is resistance....nor any other ground being used....it needed one of its own....interesting!
Now to my issue. You need to make sure that you're using the volume up switch, not the mode switch, to program the unit. There...i said it...I'm a dumba$$. Thanks for all the help guys...sorry to trouble y'all!
left or right side on handlebar
just kidding... glad it worked out.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:29 AM
09baggerdude
Road Master

Me too...the frustrating part wasn't so much not being able to get it as the wasted time I spent. I knew it had to be something I was doing...i just didn't know what. And like many others have stated, I kept going over and over it. When the tech said" you're grounding the switch you are programming. I walked around and actually looked at the switches. When i saw "audio" on the LEFT side...i said out loud" you are a dumba$$!! So glad that's over! Works awesome! Thanks again guys!!