Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best sounding head unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 PM
dynamic098
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best sounding head unit

I purchased a Pioneer head unit last year for my Limited. I matched it with a PBR300X2, and a set up Kappa's. I just cant seem to get the sound that I crave from this unit. It is very difficult and has limited adjustment to its equalizer. So I want to replace it for a better sounding unit. Any advice ? Another question, how can I connect a set of speakers in the pods to this system ? Thanks...

Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I don’t care what head unit you get, you’re only get to get so much quality sound from that amp. If you add speakers in your pods you will need a second amp, or a 4 channel amp. Technically you “could” connect 4 speakers to that amp, but there wouldn’t be enough to juice to sufficiently power them where you’d hear it on the road.

Top Headunits
Alpine 149
Kenwood 998

Old 07-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
I don’t care what head unit you get, you’re only get to get so much quality sound from that amp. If you add speakers in your pods you will need a second amp, or a 4 channel amp. Technically you “could” connect 4 speakers to that amp, but there wouldn’t be enough to juice to sufficiently power them where you’d hear it on the road.

Top Headunits
Alpine 149
Kenwood 998
Yep - I'd say HAZE is dead on point. It's probably not the HU. But just for GP exactly what pioneer head unit are you running?

Old 08-01-2015, 08:08 AM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>Haze and Gann made good points. I have found more times then not your HU is more of preference of what you like and don't like. I myself run a Kenwood I have run Sony and Alpine I like the clean look of Kenwood HUs. I would look into a different AMP........</p>

Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

HU does not matter as long as you make "sure" you got some options IMO:
a. 4V pre-outs
b. good search/play options on usb drive (like play genre; missing that one on my kenwood)
c. preferably extensive EQ (minimum 5 band; more is better)

from an audio perspective I am totally happy with the kenwood 998 (Haze got it too). PLENTY of dial in options. if Kenwood ONLY would improve the search / play option on the usb to what my previous pioneer had.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:11 PM
dynamic098
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Pioneer DEH-P8400BH

I thought that I had read that an amp is only as good as the quality of the sound. Good sound in, good sound out. When I researched this set up, the PBR was the craze with the Infinity speakers. I just can seem to find that sweet spot with any of the equalizer settings that the amp has. Maybe it is the little bass that I can find. The treble actually hurts the eardrums. It is certainly loud enough.

What amp would you suggest for that "quality" sound ? I do want to add speakers to the pods now so what 4 channel amp would you suggest for the quality and power ?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 PM
old skool pan man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gannicus has taught me several things about motorcycle audio and Haze about how to set my Kenwood 998 to get awesome sound. I had the Arc 125.4 powering Hertz 165 up front and "Boom" speakers in the pods. After my audio lesson from Gannicus in person, I am finally happy with the audio on my 2012 Limited. PA amp in the fairing, BT 7.1 in the fairing, Hertz 165 in lower pods (6.5 BT will be tried soon...) Kickers in the rear pods...= A Very Happy Man!!!! Gannicus , Haze, Ultra N, and AAWAV are veterans in this thing we call "motorcycle audio in real life settings" meaning on the road at speed. I can hear my music , old school rock, hip hop, blues, word for word with other Harley's right beside me running CFR mufflers like mine.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

haze, AAWAV, Gan, I'm also looking for a new head unit. My 3 yr. old Alpine 9886 right rear rca pre out is shorting out. I'm going to run the right rear speakers from the sub pre out till I get a new head unit. I use cd's and a USB thumb drive (mostly cd's). Does either the KDC 998 or Alpine 149 have a better cd player in it,(one that doesn't skip). I had a Kenwood Exel that skipped when the bike was sitting still at idle (maybe it was a bad unit) sent that back to Crutchfield for the Alpine. Also which head unit has the better display (so you can see it in bright sunlight). Biketronics also has the Sony MEX GS610 and 810 on their website with 5v pre outs any thought on the Sony vs Alpine vs Kenwood for CD's and DISPLAY. Thanks M.M.

Last edited by Moto Mike; 08-05-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: corrected
Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
haze, AAWAV, Gan, I'm also looking for a new head unit. My 3 yr. old Alpine 9886 right rear rca pre out is shorting out. I'm going to run the right rear speakers from the sub pre out till I get a new head unit. I use cd's and a USB thumb drive (mostly cd's). Does either the KDC 998 or Alpine 149 have a better cd player in it,(one that doesn't skip). I had a Kenwood Exel that skipped when the bike was sitting still at idle (maybe it was a bad unit) sent that back to Crutchfield for the Alpine. Also which head unit has the better display (so you can see it in bright sunlight). Biketronics also has the Sony MEX GS610 and 810 on their website with 5v pre outs any thought on the Sony vs Alpine vs Kenwood for CD's and DISPLAY. Thanks M.M.
Mike -

I ran the Sony Mex M70BT for about a week to check it out. Very nice unit with a pretty good display in the sunlight. However, when I hit a bump in the road the CD did skip. But not too bad in comparison to other HU's I've had. I believe NUTZ had the 810 and he wasn't too impressed with it and switched it out for the Alpine 149. The only thing he didn't like about the Alpine is the lack of a remote. . lol Otherwise he was pretty impressed with it the last time I talked to him. HAZE and AAWAV run the Kenwood 998 and they both love it! Probably next on my long list of HU's. I'm still running my good old tried and true Sony 310. I'd say the Kenwood 998 or the Alpine 149 should be at the top of your list. Both have great reviews from guys I trust.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:35 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Mike - Gannicus summed it up.
I am not a huge fan of Sony decks but that is personal.
the KW 998 is a great deck with a lot of dial in options (HP/LP filtering on both front and rear channels; adj. slope included, 10 or 13 band EQ).
The one thing as mentioned below I really miss is the lack of search/play options on the usb drive (when hooking up ipod it is there, but still).
cannot speak for the CD player as I do not use it.
screen is really good (no sunglasses on) as you can reverse the "color" (I run green due to bike "theme" and I can read the screen in the sun)
UN indeed loves the alpine, but hates the fact there is no remote LOL.

Quick Reply: Best sounding head unit