Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metra ASWC-1 Install Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,756 Posts
Default Metra ASWC-1 Install Update

First of all it's 38 degrees Celsius out there today, that's like 100 degrees Fahrenheit....we are in the middle of a heat wave....I'm out of the sun in my garage but it's still friggin hot!

So...Kenwood was a little too wide for the Metra face plate adapter...had to take a file and remove the little raised lip on each side of the opening. This allowed me to slide the Kenwood into the faceplate adapter where it promptly stopped moving when it hit the plastic tabs holding the front plastic trim on the Kenwood Deck. I was able to file these down as well. Deck fits flush.

Removed my old NFG HK Head Unit and installed the Kenwood with the Metra face plate adapter. Mounted my ELF amp on top of that and plugged in the RCA Cables from the head unit to the amp.

Plugged the ASWC-1 into the Harley plug and started labeling the loose wires on the ASWC-1 harness. Here is where it starts to get a little confusing. I have 3 sets of instructions...the one that came with the Metra ASWC-1....the print out of the sticky....and a print out from Axcess that I got from a link in the sticky

Because I am probably suffering from heat exhaustion now...I will be going for a cool shower and a couple of cold beverages...I'll continue tomorrow.

Because the temperature in my brain case is causing the contents to simmer, I need to pack it in. But before I go...the resistor I got with the ASWC-1 is only for use when programming if my Kenwood comes up as a JVC correct?

One more thing, it looks like I only have to connect 4 wires from the ASWC-1...Red to Ignition....Yellow to Battery...Black to Ground....Blue/Yellow to ASWC-1 3.5mm adapter.

Stay tuned for further updates....

Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 07-28-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:00 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Metra ASWC-1 Install Update Part 2

Ok, one cold shower and a couple of cold beers later, all cooled off. Went back and had a look at my mess o wires...so ignore the speaker wires on the ASWC-1 harness and ignore the speaker wires on the Kenwood HU harness because I am using the RCA connections.

This leaves me with only 5 loose wires on my ASWC-1 harness..Black Ground....Yellow Battery...Red Accessory...Blue/Yellow to Steering Wheel Control...Pink/White not sure what it's for...

do I connect the Black, Yellow and Red wires to the corresponding wires in my Kenwood HU harness? Or do I tee each pair in and connect to Ground....Battery...Accessory? Reading through the threads it looks like I cut the Harley Pink/White wire coming from the left handlebar and ground it on the handlebar side, which would mean that the Pink/White wire from the ASWC-1 is ignored, even though the instructions say to connect it to the Pink/White Harley wire I cut??

Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 07-28-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:07 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Just found my answer for the Red...Black...Yellow in post #37 of the sticky

Post #56 says leave the long ASWC-1 pink/white wire alone, don't connect it.

But post #65 says to connect it to the handlebar side of the cut Harley Pink/White wire.

I have attached a scan of my manual telling me to cut the Harley Pink/White Wire and splice the ASWC-1 long Pink/White to the handlebar end. I guess I'll follow the instructions.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ASWC-1 Pink White Wire.pdf (587.1 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by roussfam; 07-28-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Dawort
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed the ASWC-1 myself a month ago. I connected the wires, red, black, yellow ,remote, etc.. as in the sticky, to the radio, cut the pink/white wire and grounded it. Works good but did have to play around with the ground since it wasn't working right and wouldn't program the way it was supposed to. The vol and the seek worked but that was it. Had to run a ground wire to the battery and all was good after that, even got the mute to work.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dawort
Installed the ASWC-1 myself a month ago. I connected the wires, red, black, yellow ,remote, etc.. as in the sticky, to the radio, cut the pink/white wire and grounded it. Works good but did have to play around with the ground since it wasn't working right and wouldn't program the way it was supposed to. The vol and the seek worked but that was it. Had to run a ground wire to the battery and all was good after that, even got the mute to work.
I'm not going to cut and ground to frame right away, I'll try to splice it to the Pink/White Wire from the ASWC-1, like the instructions say. Maybe it's some type of ground? Apparently the earlier ASWC-1's never had the Pink/White wire, did yours?

If I have trouble then I'll try grounding it to the frame or battery.

I see you are from Green Bay, beautiful country, drove through there on my way to Sturgis a few years back. Crossed over at Sault Ste. Marie.

Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 07-28-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:37 AM
mslater741
Road Master

i had the same question ….still not working right

Old 07-29-2015, 05:37 AM
mslater741
Road Master

i had the same question ….still not working right

Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Well finished up my installation. Programming went fine. Followed the Auto-Detect Sticky...got my 7 green flashes followed by 2 red flashes which means it detected my Kenwood HU. Only problem is none of my handlebar functions work....nothing, nada.

I had cut the pink/white wire and connected the handlebar end to the ASWC-1 pink/white wire as per the ASWC-1 instructions...seeing how nothing was working....I cut the wire and grounded the handlebar end...tried reprogramming....kept coming up as an Alpine...7 red flashes...apparently this means your SWC wire is not connected...but it is....so I disconected the pink/white from ground and reconnected it to the ASWC-1...reprogrammed it....voila, 2 flashes=Kenwood...but handlebar controls don't work...

Same problem as 09baggerdude Post #88 and easymoney Post #86 in the Metra Sticky thread

Stumped....considering a BT1005 now

Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 07-29-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

I've reached the conclusion that the SWC wire from my HU is not doing anything...so no handlebar controls....I was resetting, then pressing volume up and releasing...7 green flashes and 2 red...thought I was golden

Tried manually programming functions, and no led changes on the ASWC-1

Then just for the heck of it, I reset without touching the volume up and it does exactly the same thing...so I don't think it was ever seeing a signal from volume up

Good news is I bought the Kenwood HU on discontinued clearance for $55, bad news it I bought it out of town and no longer have the box or the receipt. My next step will probably be buying another HU that has the 1/8 plug on the back for SWC and trying to sell mine.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:22 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Take the pink and white wire from you handlebar controls and ground it to your ground on the amp.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Quick Reply: Metra ASWC-1 Install Update