Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headset problem or operator error?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:46 PM
tasld
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headset problem or operator error?

I just purchased a 2015 Limited , trading in my Road King. I have read the owners manual cover to cover, and seen numerous videos but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. When "INT" is on (active), I get no music through my headset, my passenger does. Whether I'm talking or not, I can only hear passenger communications and navigation audio. Someone said this is a safety feature by Harley so the driver doesn't get distracted. Can anyone verify this? I did find out from the dealer that with "INT" on, you get no music through the external speakers. Can I ride with a headset and listen to music??

Last edited by tasld; 07-27-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tasld
I just purchased a 2015 Limited , trading in my Road King. I have read the owners manual cover to cover, and seen numerous videos but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. When "INT" is on (active), I get no music through my headset, my passenger does. Whether I'm talking or not, I can only hear passenger communications and navigation audio. Someone said this is a safety feature by Harley so the driver doesn't get distracted. Can anyone verify this? I did find out from the dealer that with "INT" on, you get no music through the external speakers. Can I ride with a headset and listen to music??
Yes you can ride with a headset and listen to music. I have a 2016 Tri-Glide which is an Ultra.

The problem is in your settings. Are you hearing the radio through your speakers? If yes you need to change the setting for music to go to your head phones. Pages 50 and 51 in the Boom Box manual. Figure 33.

Since you are seeing "INT" your intercom is muting the radio so you can talk.

If you have a Boom Box Operations Manual (not the bike manual) the set ups begin on page 117. It sounds like you could have the mic sensitivity set way too high which is causing you to stay in the "INT" mode and not switching back to the radio.

Remember, when you set the volume for the intercom you need to be talking or else it falls back to radio volume.

Keep working with the settings. You absolutely can listen to music through those head phones. If fact, that's the best way to hear your music if your system is like mine. If I use the speakers the volume has to go to distortion levels so I can hear it at speeds about 30 mph.

I will say this also. My helmet communicators seem to lose connection at times. Sometimes you have to push the cable into the head set on the helmet until you get the missing sound.

In my case it is the passenger voice on the intercom that goes out until I get that cable pushed in just right.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

If you have a CB, make sure the squelch is up far enough i set mine to max until I'm ready to use it.

Anyone know if/how to get both the headset speakers and external speakers to play music at the same time?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
If you have a CB, make sure the squelch is up far enough i set mine to max until I'm ready to use it.

Anyone know if/how to get both the headset speakers and external speakers to play music at the same time?
I'm new to the radio. I've been experimenting and reading the manual but so far it seems it's either headset speakers or external speakers.

I can't so far do both.