Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket road king fairing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:11 PM
s.ga.rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket road king fairing

Ive read through 8 pages but im looking at getting a fairing for my 06 rk custom with the cutouts for a system. should I go with the 4 5.25 cut outs or 2 6x9. Im just in the beginning stage of researching this but can any point me in a good direction for speakers and an amp that will work well in one of these type fairings. Any thing I need to consider when looking to purchase one? Im wanting to be somewhat budget oriented.

Im used to riding with my etymotic ear phones in so I dont know how well this whole endeavor will work out for me.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:41 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

I have heard both versions from dragonfly on a RK, I think the 4 5.25's sounded better.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:26 PM
TF3N
Cruiser

Provide updates, please.

I'm considering something like this for the long trips, but only if the price is right.

T

Old 07-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by s.ga.rider
Ive read through 8 pages but im looking at getting a fairing for my 06 rk custom with the cutouts for a system. should I go with the 4 5.25 cut outs or 2 6x9. Im just in the beginning stage of researching this but can any point me in a good direction for speakers and an amp that will work well in one of these type fairings. Any thing I need to consider when looking to purchase one? Im wanting to be somewhat budget oriented.

Im used to riding with my etymotic ear phones in so I dont know how well this whole endeavor will work out for me.
Get the fairing with the 6x9's Sir! You want a set of Infinity 693.9i's speakers in the fairing pushed by a cerwin vega B2 amp.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:40 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Get the fairing with the 6x9's Sir! You want a set of Infinity 693.9i's speakers in the fairing pushed by a cerwin vega B2 amp.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:02 PM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

Thanks for the info

Old 07-18-2015, 09:20 PM
RDC434
Novice

I put a Dragon Fly on a Yamaha Roadliner I had a few years ago. I used the 6x9 version with a Sony marine radio and an amp of some sort don't remember
what brand. Anyway it was an awesome set-up was very happy with the sound quality. Your choice of speakers and the rest of the components will determine how good it sounds. The Dragon Fly is a very solid fairing, I think they are the only ones that have the mounting bracket that goes top to bottom. Buy the best
components you can afford and enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket road king fairing-07181803b.jpg   Aftermarket road king fairing-07181803.jpg  

Last edited by RDC434; 07-18-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 AM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a faring from Wide Open. It is a good fairing as far as the way it attaches and it was priced rite. (you just slip it on the mounting pegs for a quick detach shield. Nice and easy) If you take the time to set it up correctly and put pluggins in between the fairing and bike you can still just take it off and ride with out the fairing. The only down fall with this fairing is the fact that it only has room for 5.25 inch speakers(4 of them). If you get a short chassis HU a Cerwin Vega B2 will fit behind it also.

After a lot of help from the guys especially Gannicus. I was able to put together a setup using the 4- 5.25 speakers, and a b2 amp in the fairing and a pair of 6x9s with a b4 in the bags, and it rocks.

Bottom line is my fairing with the 5.25s works out great and I am happy with it. I do not care for the look of 6x9s in a fairing but that is just personal preference.

It does not matter what fairing you go with the guys will help you deside on a system that rocks.

Good luck with your search

Brad

Old 07-19-2015, 09:00 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I did a Dragonfly(bought used) with 6x9's on past bike. With some amplification the sound is absolutely awesome. The Dragonfly is open on bottom to there is no place to mount a amp. I made a custom amp bracket that mounted between the mount supports. Although there 6.5" speakers I think the Deadcenter fairing is better made on quality side and is closed in where you can mount amp without modification. I've also heard good things about Woody's fairings who is a forum member.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:58 AM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

I was looking at reckless. I can get one for $350 the add the system. Main concern is paint. The glacier white blue Pearl has been tough to get someone to paint local.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket road king fairing