Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post! Need AMP help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Vandy58
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post! Need AMP help

I have been a long time lurker because I usually find my answer though this is more specific. My father in law (who is on these boards) is giving me his barely used HD boom speakers and his upgraded head unit (HD HK that was recently repaired, blue lights put in, aux in back, and the addition of RCA in the rear). I have a 2013 Ultra, I use a zumo 590 with blue tooth for the majority of my music. I would kind of like to keep FM but if no go then no go. What do you guys recommend? Either going with his upgraded HD HK or my stock HK. I was in the home theater and car audio business for years but that was over a decade ago and things have changed. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandy58
I have been a long time lurker because I usually find my answer though this is more specific. My father in law (who is on these boards) is giving me his barely used HD boom speakers and his upgraded head unit (HD HK that was recently repaired, blue lights put in, aux in back, and the addition of RCA in the rear). I have a 2013 Ultra, I use a zumo 590 with blue tooth for the majority of my music. I would kind of like to keep FM but if no go then no go. What do you guys recommend? Either going with his upgraded HD HK or my stock HK. I was in the home theater and car audio business for years but that was over a decade ago and things have changed. Any help would be appreciated!
Vandy -

There's a reason why your father in law is giving away his "Barely used" HD boom speakers and "upgraded" HU. Now the ugraded HU might be ok depending on what upgrades he's had done. Speakers are another story. Glorified paper weights. I'd say go with the upgraded HU depending on whats been upgraded. (Hopefully RCA's) Since you want to keep FM you are going to get one of two amps. Rockford PBR300X2 on a budget or the Biketronics BT2180 upgrade. Lastly get yourself a nice set of 7.1 Biketronics speakers and you'll be golden.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:04 PM
Vandy58
4th Gear

I know they are not great but they will do for now. My father in law did a full biketronics upgrade but I do not want to spend that on a bike system. I have an ultra so doing that Rockford would mean I would need two amps. I hoping to keep things faring mounted. If I give up FM what is good? I saw an alpine at best buy for 199?!?! What ohm rating are the HD boom speakers?
Originally Posted by Gannicus
Vandy -

There's a reason why your father in law is giving away his "Barely used" HD boom speakers and "upgraded" HU. Now the ugraded HU might be ok depending on what upgrades he's had done. Speakers are another story. Glorified paper weights. I'd say go with the upgraded HU depending on whats been upgraded. (Hopefully RCA's) Since you want to keep FM you are going to get one of two amps. Rockford PBR300X2 on a budget or the Biketronics BT2180 upgrade. Lastly get yourself a nice set of 7.1 Biketronics speakers and you'll be golden.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:56 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

The Booms are 2ohm but I doubt they can handle more than 45-50w. Is it in you plans to upgrade speakers down the road. You can always sell one of the radios.

A good amp on a budget is the RZ42000D for about 100 bucks. This pushes about 90w x 4 channels. If you set your gains low the Booms may survive. Good budget speakers are American Bass SQ 6.5 around 50 bucks a set. Much better than the Booms. Total is around 240.

Now not as powerful is the Clarion 1410amp. It's a weaker amp but someone hooked it up to some JBL's and they kept FM reception. Total is also about 200 bucks.

This is as budget as it gets and still better than Boom.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Point taken Vandy -

HAZE's suggestion is about as good as it gets on a budget. I think the RZ4 might be a little too much amp for the booms. I'd go here if you can swing it:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html

Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Vandy58
4th Gear

Thanks guys, so those speaker really are that bad? I assume they are better than stock?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Vandy58
4th Gear

I could swing that. So that one could run the boom speakers with out blowing them? I'm sure eventually I will install new speakers, maybe even a deck. I do like the biketronics but I will not spend that kind of money on audio for the Harley.
Originally Posted by Gannicus
Point taken Vandy -

HAZE's suggestion is about as good as it gets on a budget. I think the RZ4 might be a little too much amp for the booms. I'd go here if you can swing it:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html

Old 07-19-2015, 08:16 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

OP, in my attempts to put together a good sound system on my bike I learned that had I gotten Biketronics components first I would have been money ahead in the long run. Instead, I've bought three different amps and several different pairs of speakers. If I add the costs up it would have covered Biketronics gear. The best part about them (beside the fact that their stuff kicks ***) is that they have a lifetime warranty so buy it once and you're done. That said, it's possible to get a good system for less. Booms are not going to get you there.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Vandy58
4th Gear

Thinking now I might just install the speakers for now and just save up for biketronics. Too many people saying to do this and I really do love a lifetime warranty! I assume the decks they use are marine rated!
Originally Posted by just plain john
OP, in my attempts to put together a good sound system on my bike I learned that had I gotten Biketronics components first I would have been money ahead in the long run. Instead, I've bought three different amps and several different pairs of speakers. If I add the costs up it would have covered Biketronics gear. The best part about them (beside the fact that their stuff kicks ***) is that they have a lifetime warranty so buy it once and you're done. That said, it's possible to get a good system for less. Booms are not going to get you there.