Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow Up -- To Bates & Gannicus

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Follow Up -- To Bates & Gannicus

Hi Guys --- I'm the guy with the JL system. I took a ride to the installer yesterday. It wasn't pretty, but the system can be saved. All the settings had been changed on the amp & crossovers. The left fairing speaker was toast, and wasn't even working. Turns out, when I changed the balance to more volume, right over left, it was the speaker in the left lower that I was hearing. It had to be the guy who painted my stretched bags & fender who changed it. He also put in my Sony head unit, and did the Biketronics thing that lets me keep the hand controls. I'm not a stereo guy, but the installer told me that everything was changed to Low-Pass(? I think that's how he said it.) so there's more bass. He said it'll sound great in the shop or at bike night, but it's way too much when I have it cranked up at highway speeds. Difficult to hear the bass distortion at higher speeds. Anyway, he changed everything back, and turned the loudness off, and it already sounds a hundred times better --- even with only 3 speakers. He's getting me another one, and shipping to me, so I should be good to go after I put it in. Guess I just have to remember to tell anybody who works on the bike, to not change any stereo settings. Just an FYI since you replied to my questions in an earlier thread. BTW, he said the amp is an M6 Marine amp. Also, he said this was the first fried JL speaker that he'd ever seen.

Attached Thumbnails Follow Up -- To Bates & Gannicus-winter-mods.jpg  
Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Glad you were able to make the trip and get it sorted out. Gotcha rockin again.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Hi Guys --- I'm the guy with the JL system. I took a ride to the installer yesterday. It wasn't pretty, but the system can be saved. All the settings had been changed on the amp & crossovers. The left fairing speaker was toast, and wasn't even working. Turns out, when I changed the balance to more volume, right over left, it was the speaker in the left lower that I was hearing. It had to be the guy who painted my stretched bags & fender who changed it. He also put in my Sony head unit, and did the Biketronics thing that lets me keep the hand controls. I'm not a stereo guy, but the installer told me that everything was changed to Low-Pass(? I think that's how he said it.) so there's more bass. He said it'll sound great in the shop or at bike night, but it's way too much when I have it cranked up at highway speeds. Difficult to hear the bass distortion at higher speeds. Anyway, he changed everything back, and turned the loudness off, and it already sounds a hundred times better --- even with only 3 speakers. He's getting me another one, and shipping to me, so I should be good to go after I put it in. Guess I just have to remember to tell anybody who works on the bike, to not change any stereo settings. Just an FYI since you replied to my questions in an earlier thread. BTW, he said the amp is an M6 Marine amp. Also, he said this was the first fried JL speaker that he'd ever seen.
Jesus H. Christ! Low Pass?? A definite NO NO with full range speakers! That setting is reserved for subs. No way you were going to get any volume out of your speakers with a LPF setting. I'm surprised it didn't do more damage to your system. There's a "REF' setting on your cross overs with the JL speakers. Make sure your installer sets the cross overs to the 'REF" setting. The amp should be set on flat or full pass or if you want to use the HPF setting on your amp. Set between 80 and 100Hz. Also use 80 and 100Hz on your Sony radio setting.

The M6 is a nice amp @ 75 x 4 But your speakers can handle twice as much power as that amp produces. You would notice a MAJOR difference with the JL 600/4 @ 150 watts per channel.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Jesus H. Christ! Low Pass?? A definite NO NO with full range speakers! That setting is reserved for subs. No way you were going to get any volume out of your speakers with a LPF setting. I'm surprised it didn't do more damage to your system. There's a "REF' setting on your cross overs with the JL speakers. Make sure your installer sets the cross overs to the 'REF" setting. The amp should be set on flat or full pass or if you want to use the HPF setting on your amp. Set between 80 and 100Hz. Also use 80 and 100Hz on your Sony radio setting.

The M6 is a nice amp @ 75 x 4 But your speakers can handle twice as much power as that amp produces. You would notice a MAJOR difference with the JL 600/4 @ 150 watts per channel.

He, also, told me that he's surprised I didn't fry anything else. I blew up a rear pod speaker 2 years ago, so I just took them out myself. (He looked at my invoice yesterday. Did the install in May of '12.) The painter must've unhooked the wires from the rear pod crossovers (that were in the tourpak),but he just left them layin' there. A few ends had been touching each other, and a few of the crossover wires were burnt. The installer said he's amazed that there wasn't a "fire" or that the amp didn't shut off. The installer just took them out --- wires & crossovers. I told him to go ahead & do it because I can get only 5s or 5 1/4s in the rear pods, and I really can't hear them anyway. The 4 front crossovers (on top of radio) are all back to Reference. I already sound so much better, even with 3 speakers. I'll consider your suggestions for amp settings too. Thanks for your help. He's tryin' to talk me into CVO lids, and putting in some JL 5x7s! I'm considering it! By the way, he's sascustoms.com if you wanna take a look.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
He, also, told me that he's surprised I didn't fry anything else. I blew up a rear pod speaker 2 years ago, so I just took them out myself. (He looked at my invoice yesterday. Did the install in May of '12.) The painter must've unhooked the wires from the rear pod crossovers (that were in the tourpak),but he just left them layin' there. A few ends had been touching each other, and a few of the crossover wires were burnt. The installer said he's amazed that there wasn't a "fire" or that the amp didn't shut off. The installer just took them out --- wires & crossovers. I told him to go ahead & do it because I can get only 5s or 5 1/4s in the rear pods, and I really can't hear them anyway. The 4 front crossovers (on top of radio) are all back to Reference. I already sound so much better, even with 3 speakers. I'll consider your suggestions for amp settings too. Thanks for your help. He's tryin' to talk me into CVO lids, and putting in some JL 5x7s! I'm considering it! By the way, he's sascustoms.com if you wanna take a look.
Sounds like your installer has a good head on his shoulders. Most don't when it comes to audio on a bike. Those 5x7 JL's are the truth. My brother runs two in each lid and the sound is phenomenal!! You can hear them going down the road no problem. In regard to the rear pods. Aside from the kickers that drop right in. The Polk MM651's really sound nice with the JL's in that location if you can trust Polk has resolved their issues with those speakers. He runs the polks in the pods and the 5x7's in the lids and as I said the sound is unreal. The lids were slotted to accommodate the speakers. Here are a couple pics of his set up:

Two 5x7 JL's in modified stock lids.

JL's in the lids

Slotted lids to accommodate 5x7 JL speakers.