Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible head unit problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:47 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible head unit problems?

I have a year old Sony CDX-GT710HD head unit. I have a RF 300x2 amp with Infinity Kappa 6.5's up front and just put Pioneer TS-G1345R 2-way 5-1/4's in back. Had stock BOOM audio 4-1/2"s prior. Upon getting caught in the rain for 3 days and installing the new speakers, it all sounds like CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Keeps going out of tune with the bass.
I have the front speakers on the amp, the rear on the head unit. Didnt like the sound, no power. I know the speakers are wired correctly, for I attached identical as the ones I just took off.
We then hooked the rear up to the front in a series to share the amp. Any ideas or suggestions? The guy who hooked up the rear to the front is a stereo geek. Has a car stereo from hell!!!!!! He seems to think the head unit. This is on a 09 HD Screaming Eagle Ultra.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 AM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

No body has any ideas or thoughts on what the reason could be?

Old 07-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondChance!!
No body has any ideas or thoughts on what the reason could be?
You never want to hook your speakers up in series on a motorcycle. The idea is to gain sound. Not lose it. Now I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying that amp is no where near powerful enough to do it. In series with four speakers you have about 50 watts going to each speaker. Not nearly enough to drive the kappa's. If you are a pioneer fan the pioneers you want back in the pods are the TS-A1685R speakers. If you are not married to Pioneer. The kicker KSC67's are the one's you want.

The first thing I would do is get a 4 CHANNEL amp. A class D is the best bang for the buck. If you can live with out FM radio. The Rockford PBR300X2 is a good starter amp to upgrade from stock and works really well with the infinity 62.11i speakers. But when you start using 4 ohm speakers and try to run them in series that amp is never going to sound good. The stereo geek guy should know that. Just time to upgrade your system my friend. I don't think it's the HU. I think it's the way you have your components connected and the 5.25 speakers in the rear. Both speakers I suggested earlier will drop right in the rear pods and they both sound awesome back there.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:26 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

<p>I have to agree with Gannicus he has a lot of knowledge with audio . The kickers are a very nice speaker. They sound very nice for the price of them .</p>

Old 07-27-2015, 05:58 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

I will pass this on and let them see it what you have said. It seems all went to crap after we had that monsoon season for like a month here and my bike was out in it for 3 days. Covered for 2, but still out in it.
I really like having the FM here for most of my riding is just short trips and just dont care to run the MP or flash card all the time.
And I am not married to Pioneer at all, just a recommendation. I can go find the Kickers and go from there. I would like to keep the amp i have for I just have all the extra $$$ to upgrade everything. I will have them go back and put the speakers back as they were, front on amp, back on HU and see what happens.
Arte those Kickers 5-1/4" or 6-1/2"?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

I will pass this on and let them see it what you have said. It seems all went to crap after we had that monsoon season for like a month here and my bike was out in it for 3 days. Covered for 2, but still out in it.
I really like having the FM here for most of my riding is just short trips and just dont care to run the MP or flash card all the time.
And I am not married to Pioneer at all, just a recommendation. I can go find the Kickers and go from there. I would like to keep the amp i have for I just have all the extra $$$ to upgrade everything. I will have them go back and put the speakers back as they were, front on amp, back on HU and see what happens.
Arte those Kickers 5-1/4" or 6-1/2"?
6.75 - They drop right in.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641KS...1255385&awdv=c

Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Just a thought, but are you certain that speaker polarity is consistent from side to side, and front to back? Are you saying your troubles started after exposure to rain and nothing has changed since then, or did your stereo geek friend make the changes after the exposure? No disrespect intended, but do you have any knowledge regarding stereos or are you relying on your friend? It's possible that he's not the geek you think he is.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 AM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Originally Posted by just plain john
Just a thought, but are you certain that speaker polarity is consistent from side to side, and front to back? Are you saying your troubles started after exposure to rain and nothing has changed since then, or did your stereo geek friend make the changes after the exposure? No disrespect intended, but do you have any knowledge regarding stereos or are you relying on your friend? It's possible that he's not the geek you think he is.
The problems began after the rain. I changed the rear speakers from BOOM audio for they developed sound distortion. I went to the Pioneers. Problem consisted. The bass would return on its own. And I feel that he knows what he is doing for he has the loudest car stereo in the area for he has won several competitions with his set up. He is also going to college for what he knows and has done on a paid scholarship.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Without any sort of diagnostic testing of your various components it's anybody's guess about what's wrong. The 300x2 is a pretty good amp, especially if you want to keep FM. In fact, unless you want to spring for a Biketronics amp it's about the only choice. Maybe I'm wrong, but as I understand it you can run 2 pairs of 4 ohm speakers in parallel on an amp with 2 ohm capability, but you won't have the ability to fade front to rear. Never heard of speakers in series. If it is indeed your head unit you're just screwed and it is time for another, and get a get a splash cover while you're at it. What are you using for hand controls?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

The problems began after the rain. I changed the rear speakers from BOOM audio for they developed sound distortion. I went to the Pioneers. Problem consisted. The bass would return on its own. And I feel that he knows what he is doing for he has the loudest car stereo in the area for he has won several competitions with his set up. He is also going to college for what he knows and has done on a paid scholarship.
I have a Sony MEX-M70BT sitting on my shelf if you need a new head unit. PM me if you need it.

Quick Reply: Possible head unit problems?