Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kappa 62.11i just purchased

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:42 PM
mduncan62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I may have blown one of my 4 kappas. Or I have a connection coming loose. I need to pull the fairing and inspect. I'll say this, the mids and highs are so strong, I find myself loving it while riding, today was an hour at 90MPH till I got bogged down in traffic. But, I find my ears are ringing for hours after the fact. I have not had a speaker capable of that until now. I've started running them where I can hear it clear, instead of hearing it loud. Since I bastardized the wiring on my 12 CVO SG, instead of pulling the tank and running the proper gauge, I wonder if I may not be getting clean power and sound..... May have to bite the bullet and pull the tank before the ride to sturgis. Any thoughts Gannicus?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:56 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by mduncan62
Think I may have blown one of my 4 kappas. Or I have a connection coming loose. I need to pull the fairing and inspect. I'll say this, the mids and highs are so strong, I find myself loving it while riding, today was an hour at 90MPH till I got bogged down in traffic. But, I find my ears are ringing for hours after the fact. I have not had a speaker capable of that until now. I've started running them where I can hear it clear, instead of hearing it loud. Since I bastardized the wiring on my 12 CVO SG, instead of pulling the tank and running the proper gauge, I wonder if I may not be getting clean power and sound..... May have to bite the bullet and pull the tank before the ride to sturgis. Any thoughts Gannicus?
As long as your running true 8 gauge power and ground and the wires are not frayed you should be good to go. Of course the tank is not very hard to take off on a 12'. The power and ground wires are a very important part of your set up. If those two wires are compromised in any way you won't have good sound. You can have that tank off in 5 minutes. That said. Distortion is what causes a speaker to blow. After you replace your power and ground wires, Reset the gains on the amp by ear the old fashioned way. Stick your favorite song in and Turn it up 3/4 volume until you hear distortion and back off a hair.

If one of your speakers are still sounding like crap. replace the speaker. It's blown. If it is I think I have a replacement for you sitting on my shelf. I got so much stuff on there I'll have to check. let me know.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

^^^^^When you reset your gains make sure the bike is running.
I had a similar problem with one of my Infinity speakers too. Thought maybe a speaker wire had broken. Turned out one of the RCA jacks had backed out of the amp.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM
mduncan62
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gannicus
As long as your running true 8 gauge power and ground and the wires are not frayed you should be good to go. Of course the tank is not very hard to take off on a 12'. The power and ground wires are a very important part of your set up. If those two wires are compromised in any way you won't have good sound. You can have that tank off in 5 minutes. That said. Distortion is what causes a speaker to blow. After you replace your power and ground wires, Reset the gains on the amp by ear the old fashioned way. Stick your favorite song in and Turn it up 3/4 volume until you hear distortion and back off a hair.

If one of your speakers are still sounding like crap. replace the speaker. It's blown. If it is I think I have a replacement for you sitting on my shelf. I got so much stuff on there I'll have to check. let me know.
Thanks Gan! Planning on tearing back into it tonight. I'll let you know.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:35 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Any issues getting the 1000D to fit in the 15' RG Fairing?
Uuuuuum...yeeeeah...took a little, er, figuring out. Don't have the pics on my tablet, but plan on doing a write up when I'm finished. Ended up using the space under the radio to re-route all the bike's factory wiring which freed up the very front. Shaved off the 2 now useless tabs at the nose, removed the Soundstream name plate on the top, bent 2 mounting tabs on the amp, fits snug! When re-fitting the fairing to check for clearance, theres a little room there so it's not rubbing either. Only thing that bothered me was the main radio harness plug put too much pressure on the top of the amp, putting a couple washers in the back 2 radio mounting bolts picked it up a hair and all is well.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:00 AM
mduncan62
Tourer

Well, opened it up, couldn't see any proof of speakers blown, adjusted gains down to around 3, closed it up. (still don't want to take all the kuryakyn stuff off that the guy added in order to remove the tank). Rode today for a bit, after getting back from a visit to North Carolina to see grand kids. With the gain down, I was able to push these speakers so much farther. Before or after the speakers are way more than my ears can handle for very long. Feel like I should put a sub in one of my bags because the Kappas have soooo much high and mid. It's crazy.