Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to format/organize music folders on USB drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default How to format/organize music folders on USB drive?

Ok, I'm trying to catch up with technology. My new Sony MEX-GS810BH has two USB ports, So I bought a USB Flash Drive and put some music on it. It works and sounds great. I used the WAV Lossless file type, Plenty of room on 128G. So far so good. But... I have a seperate folder for each artist/group and I would like to have those folders sorted into catagories/genre, as I will be adding more artists, And songs to some artists folders over time. I would like to be able to select a catagory/genre and then let it shuffle the songs from all the artist/groups in that particular catagory. like (Country) (Classic Rock) (Motown) etc... i.e.without mixing Head Banging Heavy Metal and Smooth Jazz. For now it either restarts from the beginning or where I left off/shut off. I can use Right Thumb switch to change tracks in an album but not change albums. To change albums I must hit the Album up/down buttons (1-2)on the radio faceplate. That's 26 presses from A-Z. There must be a better way. What I need to understand things better would be a diagram or breakdown of a typical folder tree starting from the top down.Does that make any sense?

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 06-25-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 06-25-2015, 03:26 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

I do mine the easy way.. Add all the albums I want then make a folder of bike tunes consisting of the songs I'd most like to hear while riding and name it something starting with a symbol so that it's the first one the USB reads. I'm not exactly sure if there's a programs that categorizes for you.. My HU has a button to switch cds if I don't feel like skipping each song

Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I use iTunes (its free and works on Mac’s and PC’s) It will read and play MP3 - 4, WAV, etc. file formats.
Just create “Play Lists” of your favorite songs from your sorted albums or artists and copy to your USB drive. To make it easier to change to another “Play List” I keep all play lists in the root directory on the USB.
Your Head unit should have a “Random” mode to playback songs, check you manual.

The following users liked this post:
ghostrunner (12-22-2016)
Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Didn't even think about that.. I use my ipod alot too. If anything isn't categorized correctly u can easily change it

Old 06-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks like I'm gonna have to do a Do-Over.Due to the way I ripped and saved the CD's. Using my old- really old computer 2003 model running XP LOL, None of the albums have song titles just these,,, 01 TRACK 1, 02 TRACK 2.....I had to manually change the folder each CD is in from UNKNOWN ARTIST to the Artist. So even though each folder has an artist as a title they all have a 01TRACK 1.....This computer is not online and will never be again. The Windows Media Player can create 'Playlists" but I may need to add the titles for each song manually. I still think re-arranging the folders by GENRE would work out best, I wish I had renamed the folders on the comp instead of the USB stick. I ain't the smartest kid in the class lol.