Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with my Biketronics 7.1's

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 AM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gnarl78
Set the amp to "all pass" and the gain to about 7. You should get pretty much distortion free sound.
you do not want to set an amp to "all pass". midrange speakers, which is what the woofers are in any 5.25-6.5 or even the 7" BT, cannot handle frequencies too far below 100 without distorting. they are simply not designed for it, that is what a sub is for. even the bt pro is only rated to go as low as 49hz, but that doesn't meant it can really handle it well, just that it is potentially capable of going that low.

also keep in mind that it is not a dead cutoff point but rather the point as which it starts to rolloff. the slope determines how sharply the cutoff is. in the chart below the crossover point is around 1.5khz but you can see how far past that signals go.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Mike Bradbury
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again everyone for all the help. I ended up going with the Soundstream 1000d as recommended. It should be here in a couple of days. I will install it and see what happens.

Is there any settings you can recommend on that amp when I have it bridged for just my 7.1's?? I will be doing the 6x9's in the lids in the future, but that $1000 upgrade will have to wait. Lol

Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury
Thanks again everyone for all the help. I ended up going with the Soundstream 1000d as recommended. It should be here in a couple of days. I will install it and see what happens.

Is there any settings you can recommend on that amp when I have it bridged for just my 7.1's?? I will be doing the 6x9's in the lids in the future, but that $1000 upgrade will have to wait. Lol
No need to bridge the 1000D with full range speakers. Just run the 7.1's off the front two channels. Save the other two for your 6x9's. Bridging would send 500 watts to each speaker. My friend AAWAV bench tested that amp and the power ratings are good as advertised. You could bridge it with subs but I wouldn't bridge it with full range speakers. They won't sound as good and the amp will generate unnecessary heat.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Mike Bradbury
Intermediate

Sound stream 1000d should be here tomorrow. Should I keep my magic box installed or remove it with this amp speaker combo??

Old 06-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Sound stream 1000d should be here tomorrow. Should I keep my magic box installed or remove it with this amp speaker combo??
If you already have the magic box installed I would leave it in place. All you are doing is simply replacing one amp for another. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you won't have any fitment problems on the 14' That amp is is going to make those 7.1's sing!! Let us know how it shakes out!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:05 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by nick4737
how close in size is the new ss amp to the ss pn4.520d? i have the 520 in my 14 street glide and it fits fine but after all the good talk about the new one i might be trying that out here pretty soon..also have the biketronics 7.1s with their brackets to get rid of pods
It's a little more than one inch longer.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Mike Bradbury
Intermediate

Well.....I finished up installing the sound stream 1000d this morning. I have to say that the mids and lows do sound better. The overall quality of the sound is better. It's probably as loud as my infinities were. Just a little better overall sound. Not blowing my doors off by any means. But I have also read there is a break in period. Only time will tell if that's true. Hopefully they will break in and sound better and better by the day.

Nick, the overall size of the amp is around an inch longer as stated and a little bit more narrow. I did have to relocate my GPS antenna so it would fit properly. I velcroed it to the metal bracket on top of the radio.

From what I have seen so far, it produces a lot less heat than the Fosgate. But I am only running two of the four channels for now.

Thanks again for all the help gentleman. It's greatly appreciated. ��. This is why I love being part of this forum. Always a lot of great advice from people that have a lot more knowledge and experience then I do.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:19 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Mike...

That's great news. The best part of this and perhaps congrats are due, you may be the first confirmed person on the forum to have installed the new 1000D on a 2014. So it's confirmed --- it fits!!

Yes the speakers will break in and sound better over time. Same thing happened to me when I upgraded. Another thing I might suggest if you want a tad more volume. The BT4180 amp comes with a built in 45hz HPF cut off. So you may want to set your HPF to 60 on the amp or below and you'll notice that you can squeeze a little more volume out of the speakers.

The following users liked this post:
Fatherwayne (09-07-2016)
Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Well.....I finished up installing the sound stream 1000d this morning. I have to say that the mids and lows do sound better. The overall quality of the sound is better. It's probably as loud as my infinities were. Just a little better overall sound. Not blowing my doors off by any means. But I have also read there is a break in period. Only time will tell if that's true. Hopefully they will break in and sound better and better by the day.

Nick, the overall size of the amp is around an inch longer as stated and a little bit more narrow. I did have to relocate my GPS antenna so it would fit properly. I velcroed it to the metal bracket on top of the radio.

From what I have seen so far, it produces a lot less heat than the Fosgate. But I am only running two of the four channels for now.

Thanks again for all the help gentleman. It's greatly appreciated. ��. This is why I love being part of this forum. Always a lot of great advice from people that have a lot more knowledge and experience then I do.
You Da Man Mike! As Haze said. This is groundbreaking stuff. I wasn't sure if the 1000D would fit the 14 or not. There's a guy who had a 15 on the forum and I recommended the 1000D and he said he couldn't get it to fit. I have not had the opportunity to install on a 14 or 15 yet. . . All my friends have anywhere from 07 to 13's Anyway thanks for the info brother. As the 7.1's get used to the new power they will start to sound better. A lot of it has to do with tuning. I've heard good things and bad things about the magic box so I don't know how that plays into your sound at the end of the day either. I do know that amp is good to go!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:00 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Quick Reply: Not happy with my Biketronics 7.1's