Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Cut out

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 06:29 AM
Electrotech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Cut out

I don't know or think this affected it but I washed my bike Friday night and put it away, I got it out Monday morning and the Stereo doesn't work. The screen lights up and switches stations just fine just no sound out. I turned the Stereo off and rode for a while. It was like this almost all the way to work then I turned it back on and the stereo worked the last 5 minutes of the ride. When I left work it again was not functioning.

I removed the fairing last night and there is no power LED on my Fosgate PBR300x2 amplifier. I checked the fuse and its good, I checked there was 12V power to the amplifier.

I tried using my multimeter set on DC Ammeter to bridge power to the remote turn on on the amp and I still don't get a power light.

I measured the input levels coming from the Head unit to the amplifier and read basically 0V no high level inputs on either Front Left or Front Right speakers.

I'm not sure if my amp is dead or if the head unit is. Ideas on how to positively narrow it down?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2015, 07:08 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Electrotech
I don't know or think this affected it but I washed my bike Friday night and put it away, I got it out Monday morning and the Stereo doesn't work. The screen lights up and switches stations just fine just no sound out. I turned the Stereo off and rode for a while. It was like this almost all the way to work then I turned it back on and the stereo worked the last 5 minutes of the ride. When I left work it again was not functioning.

I removed the fairing last night and there is no power LED on my Fosgate PBR300x2 amplifier. I checked the fuse and its good, I checked there was 12V power to the amplifier.

I tried using my multimeter set on DC Ammeter to bridge power to the remote turn on on the amp and I still don't get a power light.

I measured the input levels coming from the Head unit to the amplifier and read basically 0V no high level inputs on either Front Left or Front Right speakers.

I'm not sure if my amp is dead or if the head unit is. Ideas on how to positively narrow it down?

Thanks
I would simply hook a speaker up direct to the hi level outputs to see what you get. The no power light on the amp makes me kinda nervous. My history with RF has been great and I always get an answer from them right away when I call there. They are here in the states so you get someone easy to understand and talk to. 480-967-3565. Good luck and keep us posted.
Kris

Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Electrotech
Intermediate

I will jumper across the amplifier tonight to see if the high level inputs are working. If they are not then I believe a head unit upgrade will be in order.

I've been looking into the Biketronics retro install with the Sony MEX-M70BT marine radio package and sell my dead Harman-Kardon to Iron Cross Audio.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

hook up speaker to stocker, see if HU does send signal.
also, FYI, I would not "bridge" using a DDM in DC setting. Use A.
and signal from HU on speaker outputs is Vac, not dc (just to be sure).

you can measure HU speaker output, just set DDM to VAC and see if it gives you any fluctuation (you should use a sine wave signal playing but any music should make your DDM show some non zero numbers (play at volume HIGH without speakers hooked up).
if zero all the time, mmmmh, do the speaker test as mesntionad above.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Electrotech
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AAWAV
hook up speaker to stocker, see if HU does send signal.
also, FYI, I would not "bridge" using a DDM in DC setting. Use A.
and signal from HU on speaker outputs is Vac, not dc (just to be sure).

you can measure HU speaker output, just set DDM to VAC and see if it gives you any fluctuation (you should use a sine wave signal playing but any music should make your DDM show some non zero numbers (play at volume HIGH without speakers hooked up).
if zero all the time, mmmmh, do the speaker test as mesntionad above.
That's a big fat nothing on all tests. No AC voltage and no sound when jumpered out the amp to a speaker. I believe the HU is dead Jim. I contacted Iron Cross Audio earlier in the day and told them the story and they believe the HU took a dump also.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Electrotech
That's a big fat nothing on all tests. No AC voltage and no sound when jumpered out the amp to a speaker. I believe the HU is dead Jim. I contacted Iron Cross Audio earlier in the day and told them the story and they believe the HU took a dump also.
ICA is top notch. They will not steer you wrong. Did you get the amp to fire up by sending hot to the rem?
Kris

Old 05-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Electrotech
Intermediate

I was using my DMM in Current meter mode and probed the +12 to the remote and I did not see the light come on. The radio came on this morning on my way to work for about 5 minutes then shut back off again.

I went ahead and placed an order with Biketronics for the Retro Install Kit and a Sony MEX-M70BT marine stereo head unit. I was planning on going this route eventually, just got bumped up the priority list now that my tunes are gone.

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
ICA is top notch. They will not steer you wrong. Did you get the amp to fire up by sending hot to the rem?
Kris

Old 05-14-2015, 04:12 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

might as well get another amp and speakers while shopping at BT

Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Electrotech
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AAWAV
might as well get another amp and speakers while shopping at BT
Lol, hopefully my amp is good and I like my Infinity speakers. I wouldn't mind going up to the 7.25" speakers for a little more low end but getting ready to go on vacation in 3 weeks so trying to not spend all my spare cash.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Electrotech
Intermediate

Got the Sony and retro installed tonight, everything's workin again and I have better sound than before. I'll tell you what those 4 bolts that hold the radio in are a serious PITA to get out and back in, that was the worst part.

Quick Reply: Stereo Cut out