Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a new HU really worth the extra $$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
I also agree with yes. I have JL Audio stuff on my Ultra. Kept the stock HK HU. The next year, put in a $79 Sony so I could put the Ipod inside it, and not having to worry about losing battery before the end of a ride. Amazing difference in just a $79 Sony HU. Really woke up that nice JL Audio system.
It seems as though everyone is voting Yes to replacing the HU. I'm still confused about a couple of things.

1) Do I need the Biketronics Retro Radio Kit? Other than retain the OEM radio controls, is it necessary? I mean, it's almost the same price as their highest priced radio.

2) I listen to Spotify and CD's, Spotify being 90% of my listening. Is using BT to the HU going to give better quality than the 3.5mm mini pin connection?

3) Just for sound quality (not features), is the lowest priced HU that Biketronics offers going to sound as good as the highest?

My 7.1's and BT2180 will be here tomorrow and I'm trying to decide to wait for a new HU until I install them all.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Marks57
It seems as though everyone is voting Yes to replacing the HU. I'm still confused about a couple of things.

1) Do I need the Biketronics Retro Radio Kit? Other than retain the OEM radio controls, is it necessary? I mean, it's almost the same price as their highest priced radio.

2) I listen to Spotify and CD's, Spotify being 90% of my listening. Is using BT to the HU going to give better quality than the 3.5mm mini pin connection?

3) Just for sound quality (not features), is the lowest priced HU that Biketronics offers going to sound as good as the highest?

My 7.1's and BT2180 will be here tomorrow and I'm trying to decide to wait for a new HU until I install them all.
You can save a little if you go Metra 99-9600 and the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 for your hand controls.

Amazon.com : Metra 99-9600 Harley Davidson SDIN for HD Touring 1998-2013, (Black) : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Metra 99-9600 Harley Davidson SDIN for HD Touring 1998-2013, (Black) : Car Electronics

Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 AM
ohiomike
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

if you go the Metra kit, you`ll lose "AVC" ( automatic volume control ) if that's important to you. Not really a big deal to me , but just saying...

Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Mark --- I think you'll find the radio kit to be well worth the money. It was worth it to me to keep all the thumb controls, rather than "distract my driving" by looking at the HU, and doing the adjustments on that all the time. You'll also lose the CB radio, but that didn't matter to me anyway.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:41 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiomike
if you go the Metra kit, you`ll lose "AVC" ( automatic volume control ) if that's important to you. Not really a big deal to me , but just saying...
but you will get back a "mute" option. see sticky in audio section. I am heppie with my ASWC-1

Old 05-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Marks57
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gannicus
You can save a little if you go Metra 99-9600 and the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 for your hand controls.

Amazon.com : Metra 99-9600 Harley Davidson SDIN for HD Touring 1998-2013, (Black) : Car Electronics

I didn't know anything about the Metra kit. I just looked at it and really do like the price of it vs $198 for the Biketronics. Having said that, I am not great mechanic or audio installer like you guys and it makes me nervous to think about trying to install the Metra. The Metra ASWC-1 says "steering wheel" control which to me says "I'll for sure screw that install up". I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the Retro Radio kit from BT since it's made for my bike. For me, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:13 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I didn't know anything about the Metra kit. I just looked at it and really do like the price of it vs $198 for the Biketronics. Having said that, I am not great mechanic or audio installer like you guys and it makes me nervous to think about trying to install the Metra. The Metra ASWC-1 says "steering wheel" control which to me says "I'll for sure screw that install up". I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the Retro Radio kit from BT since it's made for my bike. For me, better safe than sorry. Thanks for the input.
Don't let the Metra scare you away because it says it's for steering wheel controls. One end of the Metra harness plugs into your existing radio harness and the other end plugs into the ASWC-1 controller. And your only gonna use 3 wires from the Metra harness to connect to your new HU harness. If you can read and follow directions you can do this. It's so easy a caveman could do it.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 05-08-2015, 07:37 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts
Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Marks57
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBates08
Don't let the Metra scare you away because it says it's for steering wheel controls. One end of the Metra harness plugs into your existing radio harness and the other end plugs into the ASWC-1 controller. And your only gonna use 3 wires from the Metra harness to connect to your new HU harness. If you can read and follow directions you can do this. It's so easy a caveman could do it.

When you use the Metra kit do you need to use the black trim plate that it shows in the kit. Also, what about rain getting into the HU since it doesn't seem to come with a splash cover like the BT? I don't ride in the rain unless I just get caught off guard.

Does the Metra let you keep all of the handle bar functions? If it's that easy, I just might be willing to take a chance on it for the difference in $$.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

When you use the Metra kit do you need to use the black trim plate that it shows in the kit. Also, what about rain getting into the HU since it doesn't seem to come with a splash cover like the BT? I don't ride in the rain unless I just get caught off guard. Does the Metra let you keep all of the handle bar functions? If it's that easy, I just might be willing to take a chance on it for the difference in $$. Thanks for the info.
The trim plate is what your new HU will mount to and that trim plate will fasten to the vertical fairing braces like the HD HU was mounted. For a rain cover I bought one from BT for like $20. Works perfect. And yes once the ASWC-1 is programmed you keep all hand control functions. It's not hard to program at all. Plenty of instructions and helpful guides on that in the stickies at the top of the page. Plus all the help you could ask for right here!!!

Quick Reply: Is a new HU really worth the extra $$ ?