Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System Upgrade - Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts
Default Audio System Upgrade - Again

Long ago, I began chasing the audio quality on my (then) Street Glide to integrate iPod audio. I chose to go aftermarket and haven't looked back.

Several rounds later, the bike is now a Road Glide and I ran an Arc 125.2BX amp and a pair of J&M Rokker XX speakers. It's been this way for 2 years now, and my wife has told me several times how she can't even hear the stereo while riding. It was also normal for the sound quality to be muddied and then clear, which is repetitious. Combined with the Hawg Wired mounting kit, I also couldn't fit a splash cover to my stereo.

So, while tending to some other work on the front end this year, I decided it was time to finally upgrade. This time, the head unit needed to support BlueTooth, have at least 5v preouts, and have a visible display - the mounting angle on the Road Glide further complicates the visibility issue. Integrating a splash cover was also essential, as I always seem to find myself riding through some heavy rain.

I've done my research and decided and ordered on the following items:

• Sony MEX-M70BT (my Hawg Wired wiring adapter is Sony-specific, so I will stick with Sony) Backordered at popular sites, but found on eBay
  • V-Twin Audio Radio mounting kit with splash cover
  • Sirius SXV300V1 Sirius Tuner
  • Biketronics BT2180/7P1 Speaker package (yet to order)

And that's it. I have no interest in adding speakers in lids, tourpak, or adding lowers to add speakers. I really just want good clean audio from the 2 fairing mounted speakers.

One question I do have - I don't care about FM radio. In fact, I don't even run an antenna for it.

Am I better off skipping the BT2180 for a similarly power class D amp to push the BT7P1 speakers and saving a little cost?

Opinions welcome!

Last edited by Redbeard719; 04-28-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:35 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

The thing with the 2180 is that it just works man, and it works great with the 7.1 speakers for obvious reasons. No gains to mess with, sound quality is fantastic, and the best part of it all....lifetime warranty. Is it expensive - yes. Is it worth it - yes.

If I could afford it, I'd get it. If I was strapped for cash and was looking for a solid 2 channel amp with good sound quality, I'd grab a Cerwin B2 if the 2180 was out of my reach.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Thanks Haze....

The BT stuff, like you said, just works. It seems like that's where most people end up too. I'm tired of having stuff that is better than stock, but still not that great riding down the road.

The BT stuff isn't out of reach, but like I said, FM isn't something I'm worried about - that opened the door to consider class D amps. If I can save on cost, that's great, but I don't want to keep repeating this process...

I appreciate your feedback, and I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the BT2180/7P1 combo.