Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Travis Whittaker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions

Recently installed a new system in my bike and so far I am not very happy with it. System consists of the following: RF PBR300X4, Rockford amp install kit and mounting plate, Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 in the lowers and tweeters in the gauge pods, BT 7.1 in the fairing, . and the HDPLUS2 I-Pod controller. The crossovers running the Kappa perfect 6.1 system are positioned under the ride side cover and all wiring it 14 gauge. I have se the amp gains from 5 to full on and am very frustrated. At lvl 5 the amp sounds great in the garage but down the highway you turn up the volume and it clips. When I turn the amp gain up there is a spot just before max that it is normal sounding then it just kicks. With AMP maxed it sounds great still clips around same volume level if you can stand to listen to it that loud. Heck at volume lvl 3 you can hear it a 80 down the highway but then there is no quiet volume lvl 2 is even loud. is there any flashes or settings that I am missing? I have tried playing with AVL and every other setting I could find. I am hoping there is some pros out there hat might have advice as I have a lot of time an energy in this system and would like to get it ironed out.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis Whittaker
Recently installed a new system in my bike and so far I am not very happy with it. System consists of the following: RF PBR300X4, Rockford amp install kit and mounting plate, Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 in the lowers and tweeters in the gauge pods, BT 7.1 in the fairing, . and the HDPLUS2 I-Pod controller. The crossovers running the Kappa perfect 6.1 system are positioned under the ride side cover and all wiring it 14 gauge. I have se the amp gains from 5 to full on and am very frustrated. At lvl 5 the amp sounds great in the garage but down the highway you turn up the volume and it clips. When I turn the amp gain up there is a spot just before max that it is normal sounding then it just kicks. With AMP maxed it sounds great still clips around same volume level if you can stand to listen to it that loud. Heck at volume lvl 3 you can hear it a 80 down the highway but then there is no quiet volume lvl 2 is even loud. is there any flashes or settings that I am missing? I have tried playing with AVL and every other setting I could find. I am hoping there is some pros out there hat might have advice as I have a lot of time an energy in this system and would like to get it ironed out.

Thanks
It's the amp my man! You have got nice speakers and a sub par amp. Not enough power with that amp.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:37 AM
Travis Whittaker
Novice

Originally Posted by Gannicus
It's the amp my man! You have got nice speakers and a sub par amp. Not enough power with that amp.

Does Rockford make an amp that would be much better to use. I already have the mounting bracket and wiring so would prefer to use something compatible?

Old 04-27-2015, 05:47 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Yes Fosgate makes a monster amp that sounds great, but cost twice as much. Worth every penny.

T400X4AD

Old 04-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Gearheaddrew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my 300x4 set around 7-8 on the dial if I remember correctly. Bass and Treble are set at "0" on the HK head unit. AVC is set at 1. I can run this system to the "E" on volume before the head unit starts sending a dirty signal and the audio distorts never any amp clipping.

I have t165 in the fairing and t1692 in the bags.

I'm not advanced enough to comment on the power handing but it shouldn't sound horrible.

Is the polarity correct on everything?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearheaddrew
I have my 300x4 set around 7-8 on the dial if I remember correctly. Bass and Treble are set at "0" on the HK head unit.
For the record and just because some don't realize that it's ok to do so....once your gains are set you can adjust the Bass and Treble to your liking.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 04-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Travis Whittaker
Novice

Originally Posted by Gearheaddrew
I have my 300x4 set around 7-8 on the dial if I remember correctly. Bass and Treble are set at "0" on the HK head unit. AVC is set at 1. I can run this system to the "E" on volume before the head unit starts sending a dirty signal and the audio distorts never any amp clipping.

I have t165 in the fairing and t1692 in the bags.

I'm not advanced enough to comment on the power handing but it shouldn't sound horrible.

Is the polarity correct on everything?

Yes I have verified polarity and it doesn't sound horrible but it doesn't sound great either. I am running AP and have tried all settings up until this point.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Travis Whittaker
Novice

Originally Posted by haze324
Yes Fosgate makes a monster amp that sounds great, but cost twice as much. Worth every penny.

T400X4AD

I am interested, can anyone tell me more about this T400x4AD amp? I see it is 499 and I can special order it from a dealer here close by that deals in Rockford AMPS. I have the inputs fed off the front speaker wires not RCAs and also I know the T400 will require a remote wire as well which the PBR didn't. It appears that the T400 is a 4 ohm amp which is good since I have 4 ohm speakers along with the fact it supports 2 channel input which is my current setup. What I want to know is how well does this AMP perform or will I buy it and regret the decision.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Gearheaddrew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was one in the classifieds PUNCHED had it for sale. It tested really well by one of the forum members. I think its listed under the amp testing sticky on the top of the audio section.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

There's a 2 channel version as well the T400X2AD, but for the extra 50 bucks get the 4 channel in the event you ever want to expand.

I'm using one right now, and I've had NUMEROUS amps on my bike (name one) and this amp sounds AS good as the best one. It is NIGHT and day difference over the PBR. Not even in the same league. It's expensive but you get what you pay for with this amp.

Quick Reply: Suggestions