Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spec a system please

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:12 AM
SiggerTX
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help me spec a system please

I have a 2006 FLHT with the Ultra tour pack. Front/rear speakers with a stock 40x2 amp. The rear speakers work intermittently but the wife is complaining about those pods and her butt so I'm thinking about moving the rear speakers to the lids. My first stop was Hogtunes for lids, speakers all the way around, tweeter pod and amp but I had a hard time swallowing the price tag. The head unit seems sufficient for now so I'm really not looking at those, but there are lids and such being sold everywhere and I'm not sure where to go. Can someone help me spec out this package please?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by SiggerTX
I have a 2006 FLHT with the Ultra tour pack. Front/rear speakers with a stock 40x2 amp. The rear speakers work intermittently but the wife is complaining about those pods and her butt so I'm thinking about moving the rear speakers to the lids. My first stop was Hogtunes for lids, speakers all the way around, tweeter pod and amp but I had a hard time swallowing the price tag. The head unit seems sufficient for now so I'm really not looking at those, but there are lids and such being sold everywhere and I'm not sure where to go. Can someone help me spec out this package please?
You want the HOG TUNE lids but you don't want the speakers. You want the Biketronics 6x9's if your budget permits. If not Biketronics. Kicker KSC693 or Rockford Fosgate T1693 speakers. That said you are also going to need another AMP to push them with. The one you have won't push any 6x9's.

If you listen to FM radio it's going to cost you to keep it. If not there's plenty of powerful Class D amps that will push your system.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:26 PM
SiggerTX
Road Captain

I do listen to FM, why does that matter?

Old 04-21-2015, 05:35 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I do listen to FM, why does that matter?
Because most class D amps and just about 90% of the amps that have any power and also fit in the fairing impact FM reception. Some guys very little others much more.

So if u listen to FM your options are limited.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM
SiggerTX
Road Captain

I figured that there was an amp to replace the factory amp under the tour pack, but now I'm realizing that it is only wired for two channels...
What about replacing the head unit with one that needs no separate amp?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I figured that there was an amp to replace the factory amp under the tour pack, but now I'm realizing that it is only wired for two channels...
What about replacing the head unit with one that needs no separate amp?
As my friend HAZE stated if you listen to FM (and most guys do) your options for a powerful amp are limited. Problem is if you are going to run 6x9's in your lids you are going to NEED a powerful amp to hear your speakers at speed. Otherwise all the time and money you spend for paint and speakers will be for nothing. IMO your only option is to purchase the BT4180 from Biketronics to drive your fairing speakers and your lids. You will not lose your radio reception with the BT and have all the power you need to hear your tunes. The boom amp is nothing more than a paper weight.